Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint upheld against Derek Mooney for 'supporting same-sex marriage' on air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I reckon everytime a wedding is mentioned on the radio we should all file a complaint - all those fluffy "on my way in the car to my cousin's wedding" requests are just highlighting the status quo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

efb wrote: »
    You'd have to be a special kind of crackpot to do so though.

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Riskymove wrote: »
    did you submit a complaint?

Ironically, I'm not that anal.

And know how to play the system.

You mean know how to write an email and find the BAI's email address on line? Machiavellian stuff alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Ironically, I'm not that anal.

no complaint, no BAI investigation

• Advertisement

You mean know how to write an email and find the BAI's email address on line? Machiavellian stuff alright.

No dear, know how to interpret and manipulate the code to pursue one's own agenda.

Why do you heart internet if it's so open???

Should all gay couples be kept off air until after the referendum incase it's seen as undue influence????

That's no where near what the BAI says and could not be taken as a reasonable response to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

but that is exactly what all this rules and guidelines are about

Broadcasters have a voice, an inflience and an audience, and a duty to be balanced

Yes that is true, however the audience also has a duty to rub at least two brain cells together and realise that a gay man wishing a gay couple well and hoping that the franchise of marriage would be extended to him is not him trying to subvert the process of democracy.

No dear, know how to interpret and manipulate the code to pursue one's own agenda.

Why do you heart internet if it's so open???

So knowing how to read? Is that the trick to gagging freedom of speech?

RTE give a platform to people to speak on the radio. If I make a comment here about marriage, does that make it an official position of Boards?
    This particular paradigm when applied to the media is in my view one of the most insidious. The provider of a platform is not responsible for what people use that platform for.

There is a clear difference between thousands of anonymous people posting on a board and an idenitifed public figure

and...there was no complaint about the actual topic or the person interviewed giving his personal experiences

• Advertisement

no complaint, no BAI investigation

But the people that complained were not concerned about bias in all referenda???

Only the ones they want to affect.

If you are concerned about media bias you would surely complain in all instances????

So knowing how to read? Is that the trick to gagging freedom of speech?

Knowing how to play the system

Knowing how to play the system

Or use the system?

To highlight Derek's actual mistake.

Or use the system?

To their advantage

P_1 wrote: »
    Yes that is true, however the audience also has a duty to rub at least two brain cells together and realise that a gay man wishing a gay couple well and hoping that the franchise of marriage would be extended to him is not him trying to subvert the process of democracy.

of course, but the BAI can only operate by the code in front of them

To their advantage

Of course.

You've just learned to play the boards.ie system and typed that response for no reason other than to further your views and gain advantage over me.

Hang your head in shame efb!!! ;)

Of course.

You've just learned to play the boards.ie system and typed that response for no reason other than to further your views and gain advantage over me.

Hang your head in shame efb!!! ;)

Not trying to manipulate what you are allowed type though, am I?

If you are concerned about media bias you would surely complain in all instances????

this is getting a bit pointless now with hypotheticals, no?

maybe those people who complained here didn't hear the DJs you are talking about etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Waterford whispers covering it brilliantly today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

I thought there was a timescale involving referendum stuff though? I didn't even think that Enda announced that there would be a referendum until July of this year yet this was broadcast in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Which is why the code needs fixing, if it can be manipulated by people with a clear agenda then there's something clearly wrong with it.

this is getting a bit pointless now with hypotheticals, no?

maybe those people who complained here didn't hear the DJs you are talking about etc.

I wonder what a breakdown of their complaints would show? A broad spectrum concerned with media bias or media bias in situations that they disprove of???

Not trying to manipulate what you are allowed type though, am I?

But the right to do just that exists - if I fall foul of the boards.ie rules, you can report my post and I will be sanctioned. Even if I'm not guilty of anything, you can still report me.

Derek Mooney was guilty of breaching broadcasting standards. The BAI have reprimanded him for that. You may not like that. But it's really simple.

Daith wrote: »
    I thought there was a timescale involving referendum stuff though? I didn't even think that Enda announced that there would be a referendum until July of this year yet this was broadcast in January.

covered earlier

there is another system of rules for actual referendum campaigns etc

this is about a more general code of conduct

A benefit I would see is if pro-equal marriage groups decline to appear on broadcasts until closer to the referendum. Would be nice not to hear from Iona, et all until then.

I wonder what a breakdown of their complaints would show? A broad spectrum concerned with media bias or media bias in situations that they disprove of???

Oh I am sure you are right about what drives people to complain

but that doesn't change the fact that something breeches a code or not

Likewise I could suggest the people giving out about the people who complained here are doing so because they approve of same-sex marriage and has nothing to do with the actual question in hand on the code.

P_1 wrote: »
    Which is why the code needs fixing, if it can be manipulated by people with a clear agenda then there's something clearly wrong with it.

but I don't see how its being "manipulated"

it is what it is and broadcasters should be aware of it

but I don't see how its being "manipulated"

it is what it is and broadcasters should be aware of it

When it's something I like it's being "used".

When it's something I'm against it's being "manipulated".

Maybe they should police it themselves rather than only act on the instruction of interest groups

• Advertisement

Maybe they should police it themselves rather than only act on the instruction of interest groups

That's unfair. It's a process which was followed.

Advertisement