Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint upheld against Derek Mooney for 'supporting same-sex marriage' on air

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I think you're going to see a lot more lobby groups and individuals on both sides of at m the argument using the BAI complaints system to score political points from now on thanks to this high profile decision.

These decisions come and go, several every year catch the public attention (a little), more barely get reported.

It's not like SSM is the first ever contentious political or social issue in Ireland. And it's not like this is the first time a radio show has been complained, and that complaint upheld by the BAI.

it's not really a blunder....he spoke from his mind, which is normal and correct.

He should have done his job better, then the complainants would have zero to complain about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Amazing how many of you leap around like a remote amazonian tribe slaying a pig. You dont have all the details but god forbid you dont want to be left off the bandwagon. In many respects liberals zealots are the reverse of conservative zealots in terms of intolerance. Im surprised he wasnt able to voice an opinion but you got to listen to the whole thing.

Personally I have not made my mind up on same sex marriage but the way it is in modern Ireland-you cant express anti liberal consensus views for fears of being condemned by the new orthodoxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think you're going to see a lot more lobby groups and individuals on both sides of at m the argument using the BAI complaints system to score political points from now on thanks to this high profile decision.

The BAI must must love paperwork!

I can't see it to be honest...it'll be all over in a few days I'd say...

I notice that the BAI reject the vast majority of compliants

It is interesting that a complaint for similar reasons against Pat Kenny was rejected...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

It's scary that this still happens in 2014 and shows no signs of going away. It's like recently i found out that divorce in Ireland only became fully legal in 1995, condoms were illegal until 1980. I look back at that and can't believe it. Maybe in 20 years people will look back at this time and think the same about gay marriage.

So far the most vocal excuse i've heard is "It will need to have massive legislation". Sure. So get on with it then

I don't agree with the balanced media rules but even so, a presenter just expressed his personal feelings after hearing a story. If he talked about how much he prefers Burger King or which party he is going to vote for this would be a non issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Amazing how many of you leap around like a remote amazonian tribe slaying a pig. You dont have all the details but god forbid you dont want to be left off the bandwagon. In many respects liberals zealots are the reverse of conservative zealots in terms of intolerance. Im surprised he wasnt able to voice an opinion but you got to listen to the whole thing.

Personally I have not made my mind up on same sex marriage but the way it is in modern Ireland-you cant express anti liberal consensus views for fears of being condemned by the new orthodoxy.
    it's not liberal ...it's normal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If that were a slogan on a T-Shirt it would make a mint.

"Normal" is a word that's been used to oppress countless people since forever.

And a large group of those countless people are now demanding to be seen as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Dude, I'm definitely not condemning anyone anyway. People are going to side with not changing things if they're unsure about something, that makes sense and that why there'll probably be a very high number of people opposed to it when the referendum does roll around in comparison to opinion polls (I still reckon it'll pass though).

I just can't comprehend the reasoning behind the alternative argument, have yet to hear a sound argument for it. If you've got a sizable number of people saying they're unsure about it, and can't provide valid reasoning for it, it's definitely important for the other side to point that out rather than let not having a justifiable reason be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Must be awful feeling condemned by people who just want other humans to have the same legal rights you do, poor petal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I just can't comprehend the reasoning behind the alternative argument, have yet to hear a sound argument for it. If you've got a sizable number of people saying they're unsure about it, and can't provide valid reasoning for it, it's definitely important for the other side to point that out rather than let not having a justifiable reason be accepted.

I think we also need to realise that whatever is proposed wont be "Are you for SSM, yes or no?"

It will be a series of changes to the constitution which may have wider or unexpected consequences etc.

So we're all agreed??

Derek Mooney made a mistake

Someone complained

BAI considered the complaint and found it valid

BAI issue a mild smack on the knuckles to Derek and RTE.

None of the above affects anyone's right to feel any way they want about SSM

And a large group of those countless people are now demanding to be seen as normal.

And anyone else you deem as "not normal"? What happens to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

These decisions come and go, several every year catch the public attention (a little), more barely get reported.

It's not like SSM is the first ever contentious political or social issue in Ireland. And it's not like this is the first time a radio show has been complained, and that complaint upheld by the BAI.

The current rules are only in place since 2013 BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The current rules are only in place since 2013 BTW.

And the org that complained was dissolved in 2012!

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Family-And-Media-Association-Limited-410393

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The constitutional convention has considered a proposal that the constitution should declare that wildlife / biodiversity / ecosystems are entitled to respect and protection.

So, Derek Mooney is now barred from saying that in his opinion wildlife is entitled to respect and protection, unless he also brings me on to say all wildlife should be beaten to death with sticks and then eaten raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Akrasia wrote: »
    in human interest stories, 'balance' is not always appropriate. If Derek Mooney was talking to a victim of clerical abuse, would he have to interrupt him at regular intervals to read statements from the vatican?

Don't give the Family & Media Association any ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

36 pages in and still not one valid reason given to explain why someone would be opposed to SSM

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Simple, you just make it illegal for them to marry...

These threads always remind me of a game of pictionary or something - All they really want to say is "I just dont like the gays", but they cant be that direct so have to just throw out any old reason they can think of and stick with it.

Its as if people convince themselves that there has to be a logical reason they're against SSM, that they cant be homophobic. Being homophobic is a bad thing, and they're a nice person, so cant possibly be a homophobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

loh_oro wrote: »
    36 pages in and still not one valid reason given to explain why someone would be opposed to SSM
    Probably because that is not what this thread is about.

I'm not in the business of deeming or condemning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Probably because that is not what this thread is about.

It's never been answered on threads that are about SSM either :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

That's just silly....no-one on earth has an impartial view of anything. We all land on one side of the fence or the other, even those in the public sphere.

The things people complain about make me laugh. The man is allowed to have an opinion and to share it, regardless of occupation.

This is completely wrong, sorry.
    The point is that he is a broadcaster being paid by the license fee payers. He has to be balanced in an issue such as this while he is doing the job he is paid to do.. That is certainly not to deny his right to have any opinion he wants - but he cannot pitch for one side over the other and use his show as his personal platform. It's not his show to use.
    Imagine a Jewish broadcaster on RTE decided to have a group of Israeli supporters on his programme and they all agreed with the attacks on Gaza. There would be uproar (rightly)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

LorMal wrote: »
    Imagine a Jewish broadcaster on RTE decided to have a group of Israeli supporters on his programme and they all agreed with the attacks on Gaza. There would be uproar (rightly)

Yes, that's exactly like interviewing someone and saying that you hope the State stops discriminating against them some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Yes, that's exactly like interviewing someone and saying that you hope the State stops discriminating against them some day.
    The crux of the (very valid) point LorMal is making is that news and current affairs should be impartially delivered.

If marriage is currently not lawful between same-sex couples, then that remains a topic of legitimate current-affairs debate.

What you're suggesting is tantamount to the idea that Brian Dobson could come on the news at 9 o'clock tonight and shriek in outrage that the State has not legislated for X, Y or Z. That's really not helpful to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is it yourself, John Waters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

How is allowing same sex marriage going to 'opress' anyone? Imagining that gay marriage is going to somehow affect you when it has nothing to do with you is NOT normal! Those in opposition to gay marriage (like the complainant) are the oppressors, no one else!

I wonder did slave owners feel 'bullied and oppressed' when slavery was abolished?

Advertisement