Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint upheld against Derek Mooney for 'supporting same-sex marriage' on air

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Exactly but these are the things you hear again and again from the gay marriage crowd, im not at all religious and im against it.
    As another poster said these people are trying to social engineer peoples views.

why are you against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You dont understand.

The rough tinetable is this

The children and family bill will be law by december 2014

The equal civil marriage referendum will take place around April (ish) 2015

So you bringing up the issue of children and adoption etc is completely irrelevant as regardless of the referendum gay couples will be able to adopt.

I never mentioned adoption, and anyway single people can adopt children legally. Do gay people not want to become biological fathers/mothers following their marriages? Even if that means getting another man or woman from outside of the marriage to have sex with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Exactly but these are the things you hear again and again from the gay marriage crowd, im not at all religious and im against it.
    As another poster said these people are trying to social engineer peoples views.

Why are you against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

marienbad wrote: »
    This is just so over the top . The Authority ruled that the show had strayed over the line from human interest into currents affairs. We can debate the issue all we want as to its correctness ,but once they reached that conclusion what followed was inevitable .

And to bring censorship into it in this way is mind boggling , it is the no side that was being censored.

And the same would have been the case if it was any other current affairs topic. 'You can have all the free speech you want as long as you agree with me' is not free speech.

What I'm afraid of, is that between this and Pantigate, broadcasters will be hesitant to discuss any aspect of gay life in Ireland, without someone there for "balance". We'll be left with ham-fisted "debates" like the Saturday Night Show debate on homophobia, instead of more nuanced discussions like Matt Cooper had on the Last Word at around the same time.

I never mentioned adoption, and anyway single people can adopt children legally. Do gay people not want to become biological fathers/mothers following their marriages? Even if that means getting another man or woman from outside of the marriage to have sex with.

Ever heard of assisted reproductive treatment?

• Advertisement

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Ever heard of assisted reproductive treatment?

Why would gay people have to do that? Could they not have sex with someone to get children?

NuMarvel wrote: »
    What I'm afraid of, is that between this and Pantigate, broadcasters will be hesitant to discuss any aspect of gay life in Ireland, without someone there for "balance". We'll be left with ham-fisted "debates" like the Saturday Night Show debate on homophobia, instead of more nuanced discussions like Matt Cooper had on the Last Word at around the same time.

No need to be afraid. O'Neill got his say on RTE in February and it was repeated again this week. I'm sure it's probably on the RTE Player if you want to listen. I heard a bit of it and Miriam was very nice to him.

http://www.thejournal.ie/panti-rory-oneill-miriam-ocallaghan-1307439-Feb2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Why would gay people have to do that? Could they not have sex with someone to get children?

I feel like you might be misunderstanding some of the core concepts concerning gay people and marriage in general, let alone gay marriage.

I feel like you might be misunderstanding some of the core concepts concerning gay people and marriage in general, let alone gay marriage.

How many core concepts are there?

I dare you to go into a fertility treatment centre tomorrow and suggest to all in the waiting room that instead of assisted reproduction, the partner who can reproduce should go and have sex with someone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

......... are you for real ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

The one thing I hate is these far right Christian groups advocating inequality. While I could argue about religion, God and more, this is exclusively about the BAI's corrupt completely fair decision that will make no difference to anyone.
    Just a suggestion for the govt., do us a favour and halve BAI's funding in the next budget. More money can be spent on things that can make a difference to people.

So you're saying that if you and your spouse were unable to have children together, your first course of action would be to find a third party for one of you to have sex with? Interesting...
    No need to be afraid. O'Neill got his say on RTE in February and it was repeated again this week. I'm sure it's probably on the RTE Player if you want to listen. I heard a bit of it and Miriam was very nice to him.

Rory's originally interview on the Saturday Night show was censored because the Iona 6 threw a strop. And none of the mainstream media would touch the story until after Iona went public with the details of their payout. For all the talk of liberal bias in the media, it was clear that conservative elements held sway for much of those events.

I dare you to go into a fertility treatment centre tomorrow and suggest to all in the waiting room that instead of assisted reproduction, the partner who can reproduce should go and have sex with someone else!

If both parties to a heterosexual marriage are potent/fertile they won't need to be in the clinic. If both parties to a gay marriage are potent/fertile why would they need to be in the clinic?

Why wait til tomorrow? He could try posting that suggestion in the Trying to Conceive forum to see how it goes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

In fairness if there was a load of people on opposing same-sex marriage; there would be even more uproar and the presenter would probably get sacked. Look at the uproar in the states when that guy from Duck Dynasty expressed his opposition - his show was suspended and when that decision was reversed TV company A&E were criticised heavily. Everyone on the pro-same sex marriage were calling for the show to be axed. The same thing would happen here. Derek Mooney having a complaint upheld for expressing his support is nothing in comparison.

With a referendum coming up, national broadcasters have to be 50/50; which is difficult in this case because anyone seen to be opposing gay marriage gets vilified by rest of the media and people will call for him to be sacked.

It's a good example of people calling something censorship only when it's their own views being censored.

If both parties to a heterosexual marriage are potent/fertile they won't need to be in the clinic. If both parties to a gay marriage are potent/fertile why would they need to be in the clinic?

What?

I can't even really formulate a response to that. I'm not sure whether to laugh.

What?
    Maybe the '2005' part in his username was the year he was born? Certainly would explain a lot...

NuMarvel wrote: »
    So you're saying that if you and your spouse were unable to have children together, your first course of action would be to find a third party for one of you to have sex with? Interesting...

Rory's originally interview on the Saturday Night show was censored because the Iona 6 threw a strop. And none of the mainstream media would touch the story until after Iona went public with the details of their payout. For all the talk of liberal bias in the media, it was clear that conservative elements held sway for much of those events.

People have been accused of being homophobic because they will not support the campaign to legalise gay marriage. It's a political issue and the very fact that it is being put to a referendum should demonstrate that there is more than one political opinion out there.

In the run into the referendum I might even go out myself to campaign for a yes vote! Also, do I have grounds for a complaint over the media's anti-terrorism stance? I doubt Bin Laden was ever called in for an interview...

• Advertisement

People have been accused of being homophobic because they will not support the campaign to legalise gay marriage. It's a political issue and the very fact that it is being put to a referendum should demonstrate that there is more than one political opinion out there.
    It's being put to a referendum because the constitution is being changed.

While I wouldn't throw insults like 'homophobic' at people, how do we know these people weren't being homophobic? There's a very fine line.

As I've pointed out to you before (and you even later acknowledged), questions about children and procreation are not exclusive to marriage. (Especially bizarre questions like why wouldn't a gay man have sex with a woman to have a baby.)

Howabout we get back to the topic of marriage? Maybe you can start off by answering the questions I asked of you here.

People have been accused of being homophobic because they will not support the campaign to legalise gay marriage.

I rest my case!

man98 wrote: »
    It's being put to a referendum because the constitution is being changed.

While I wouldn't throw insults like 'homophobic' at people, how do we know these people weren't being homophobic? There's a very fine line.

No fine line. Homophobia is a crime. Same Sex Marriage is to do with marriage legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

man98 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people seem to imagine it's a finer line than it is, a refusal to accept that it's possible you yourself might be homophobic just because your fears/concerns aren't as extreme as some other people's.

Rory had some wonderful, subtle comments on homophobia in his original interview. Unfortunately, no one can hear it now, because the people who actively campaign against equality didn't like what he had to say and had the interview censored. There is more than one political opinion out there, but it seems that certain conservatives would like to stifle those opinions as much as possible.

No fine line. Homophobia is a crime. Same Sex Marriage is to do with marriage legislation.

Homophobia is " an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people." according to Google. One could support homosexuality and oppose gay marriage, not being homophobic. A direct attack on someone solely because of being gay in a debate is homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why do you think?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Homophobia is a crime.
    Under what law?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Here we are in a thread specifically about people who don't like having sex with people of the opposite sex, and you're asking why don't they just go off and have sex with a member of the opposite sex?

It's hard to top a question with such a blitheringly obvious answer as "guize what's homophobic about believing that homosexual relationships are inferior to the extent that they are considered lesser in the eyes of the law?" but by God you've gone and done it.

Advertisement