Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking bill pay iPhone 4S

Options
  • 14-08-2014 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi boards. First post ever on here. Anyway,

My dad's got a new bill pay contract with Vodafone and gave me his upgrade, iPhone 4S. Obviously since Vodafone are a shower of cowboys they won't unlock his phone until the end of his contract, so now I can't use my 48 SIM with it.

Vodafone's website have a service for pay as you go customers whereby they give you an unlock code if you've topped up by whatever amount in the last 6 months. If I got one of those for my iPhone from my mother's Vodafone account, would it unlock my phone or would it not work because of the fact it's on bill pay?

Failing that, I'll have pay to use one of those factory unlock websites. Anybody have any experiences with them? Which is cheapest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I am considering using this guy
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/iPHONE-4-4S-3GS-PERMANENT-UNLOCKING-SERVICE-VODAFONE-IRELAND-FACTORY-UNLOCK-/200739938369

€25

Note that he says he can't unlock a replacement phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 recoil_money

That does look legit. Scrolling down his feedback page, no problems with the unlock service are reported as far as I can see.

Wonder why it's so cheap though? Some third party sites I've seen charge up to like €65.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

That does look legit. Scrolling down his feedback page, no problems with the unlock service are reported as far as I can see.

Wonder why it's so cheap though? Some third party sites I've seen charge up to like €65.

eBay prices are more competitive.
    Anywhere around €30 is normal from my experience.

I'm going to order now so i'll report if there was any problems

Plugged it in to itunes today and it asked me to activate, failed the first time but went through the second (as per his instructions). Unlocked now. Not bad for $25.

• Advertisement

Not bad at all! Definitely gonna go for that when I get the chance. Cheers again for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

Strange that vodafone wouldn't unlock it. I got a new contract off them in march and they unlocked my 5s today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

guil wrote: »
    Strange that vodafone wouldn't unlock it. I got a new contract off them in march and they unlocked my 5s today.

Maybe they didn't like being called a shower of cowboys for not unlocking a €600+ phone so it could be used with a different carrier? They can be a bit ungrateful like that.....

whiterebel wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't like being called a shower of cowboys for not unlocking a €600+ phone so it could be used with a different carrier? They can be a bit ungrateful like that.....

As far as I know, O2 unlock iPhones with no questions asked, contract up or not. The bill has to be payed regardless of what phone is in use so I personally don't think they should make such a meal of unlocking.

guil wrote: »

Really? I don't know, maybe it's because it was my dad's first contract. You got me there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

As far as I know they won't unlock it until a certain amount has been spent on bills or after the first 3. I asked cc before but can't remember what they said. I'm only a vodafone customer since march, I was eMobile before that.

Advertisement