Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nespresso Coffee Shop to open in Dublin

• 14-08-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like the coffee wars are ramping up further. Nespresso are to open a two floor 'boutique' coffee shop just off Grafton St on Duke Street this coming October. It'll have tasting areas and perhaps be more convenient for many to buy pods than heading into BTs. They might also open one in Cork in due course.

So, George Clooney for Dublin this October ? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

It seems they are riding the wave of coffee popularity right now in Dublin. However I doubt the people flocking to lovely shops such as Roasted Brown and Vice will be persuaded buy these 'boutique' shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My life is now complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Jezek wrote: »
    It seems they are riding the wave of coffee popularity right now in Dublin. However I doubt the people flocking to lovely shops such as Roasted Brown and Vice will be persuaded buy these 'boutique' shops

I don't think those people are their target market and I would say that this Nespresso shop will have more customers per day than both of the shops you mention if the queue in BT is anything to go by.

Plenty of room in Dublin for all coffee tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I don't think those people are their target market and I would say that this Nespresso shop will have more customers per day than both of the shops you mention if the queue in BT is anything to go by.

Plenty of room in Dublin for all coffee tastes.

Yeah I'd agree. The people who buy Nespresso pods and those who seek out independent coffee shops are two distinct markets. They may well over lap on occasion but by and large people who seek out independent coffee shops serving speciality beans are less likely to have Nespresso machines at home. Perhaps some do but it's probably the exception to the norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I honestly don't get this Nespresso fad, I've tried it on several occasions in friends houses and all different varieties and I can't see why there is so much fuss about a tiny cup of mediocre lukewarm coffee.
    The only suggestion I can come up with is status, I reckon nespresso work off the same theory as Apple in that if you restrict the availability of a product then people will want it more and the old one about seeing a queue and wanting to join it because if there's a queue then it must be good.

In my opinion if every supermarket stocked the Nespresso pods like they do with Tassimo and dolce gusto then there wouldn't be half the demand or elitism around it. And I'm not on about the spurious pods that lidl stock because I guarantee 50% of Nespresso owners wouldn't violate their precious machines with the these and out of the 50% that would try them I'd guess that 40% of those people would say they are putrid.
    I have a Tassimo T55, I can make espressos, Lattes, cappuccinos, caramel machiatos, hot chocolate, americanos, crema and the list goes on and on, the machine cost me half the price of a Nespresso machine, I don't need a separate milk frother and I can get my pods in nearly every supermarket I shop in.
    Wake up people, it's not the celtic Tiger anymore, just cause it costs more doesn't mean it's worth more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I just don't get these pod things at all. Apart from never having had a decent coffee from one, they're so environmentally damaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

What's i'm saying is that Nespresso seems to be trying to cash in on the recent increase in demand for good coffee in Dublin, but I think they will be sad to realise that trend is for 3rd-wave type places, not their kind of market at all.

Jezek wrote: »
    What's i'm saying is that Nespresso seems to be trying to cash in on the recent increase in demand for good coffee in Dublin, but I think they will be sad to realise that trend is for 3rd-wave type places, not their kind of market at all.

You do realise that they are only selling the incredibly popular pods themselves and won't actually be running a cafe? You will be able to sample the various coffees but won't have to pay for that.
    I imagine that there has been quite a bit of market research done to justify this investment in Ireland. If you look at London, there are at least 3 Nespresso Boutiques there and there are also plenty of '3rd wave' cafes and they all exist in harmony.

I would say that any '3rd wave' cafe in Dublin would kill for the footfall that Nespresso will get.

sarkozy wrote: »
    I just don't get these pod things at all. Apart from never having had a decent coffee from one, they're so environmentally damaging.

I recycle all my pods, it makes me feel great to be saving the environment, just like everyone who preaches about the environment :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm not saying people don't recycle them, but the embodied energy in each one seems excessive to me.

On a different note, I see Nespresso as the Soda Stream of coffee: unnecessary. And if I happened to find out that, like Soda Stream, Nespresso is an Israeli company, well ...

Mind you, Nestlé has enough of a past to be reconsidering using their products in the first place ...

• Advertisement

I think you will find that the co2 expended with shipping a couple of pallets of coffee beans to a roaster in (say) London, then the added co2 used at the roaster, then the amount expended in transporting it to Dublin on a flatbed (via a Ferry) is equally damaging to the environment. Best not to drink coffee (or indeed use any product you haven't grown out your own back garden using no fertilizer or artificial product) and then cook said product on an open fire made of locally (i.e. walking distance) sourced firewood.

That is the only way you will not damage the environment.

Lucky for you Israel don't export much coffee :D

And I hope you don't use any form of transport, public or private. Because more than likely the energy for that form of transport is the by product of a Big Bad Oil Company. And I'm sure that would make you reconsider such forms of transport...:rolleyes:

Whooooo, no need to get shirty. Did I touch a nerve? I just put a question out there. Of course coffee is a product that already emitted a load of carbon, and I'm not a hypocrite or whatever stereotype you've suggested.

If somebody can show me that Nespresso is actually the same or more efficient than other methods, I'll eat a coffee bean.

And, for the record, I cycle or walk everywhere, taking public transport when necessary, which radically reduces my carbon output. And for the record, my bike is second-hand and I maintain it myself using reconditioned parts.

Advertisement