Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs - cant go

• 14-08-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

So my debs is next year, but i dont think ill be going! I booked a flight one way to australia for the start of june. Im not sure if im doing the right thing or should i go to my debs? Im not pushed on going but i dont want people talking saying 'reasons' they think i didnt go!?? I havent a job or anything linned up in oz yet as im going to be living there 6 months without working at the start so i could change my flights? Again im not pushed on going but i still have this feeling i should?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

There's no obligation to go, I know if I had to option of going to Oz or going to the debs, Oz would win every time, even if I could change the dates I wouldn't bother. People will completely understand you not being there if you are going abroad, if that's what bothers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Debs...overrated...waste of 80 euro...exact same as any night out but with fancy clothes. Go to Australia, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

There's no obligation to go, I know if I had to option of going to Oz or going to the debs, Oz would win every time, even if I could change the dates I wouldn't bother. People will completely understand you not being there if you are going abroad, if that's what bothers you.

Yes i no theres no obligation to go, however im in an all girls school and everyone is 'living' for their debs! My parents also are saying ill miss out? But i think ill gain a lot more over in oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Debs...overrated...waste of 80 euro...exact same as any night out but with fancy clothes. Go to Australia, please.

Hi, thanks for the post its not about the money its about how people will be if i do decide to go to oz and skip the debs

You are obviously a guy. A girl would never get away with 80 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Yes i no theres no obligation to go, however im in an all girls school and everyone is 'living' for their debs! My parents also are saying ill miss out? But i think ill gain a lot more over in oz!

There's nothing to miss out on really. You dress up, go, eat, go on the lash, eat again and come home at ridiculous o'clock. Nothing more exceptional than a standard night out. I wouldn't compromise my time spent in Australia over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hi, thanks for the post its not about the money its about how people will be if i do decide to go to oz and skip the debs

Yeah I know its not, but you will get so much more out of going to Australia. How could a 6 month trip to a different continent possibly be less valuable to you than a night out with the girls? Who cares what they say. Theyll just be jealous theyre not going to australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

What people? Your friends wont mind and will understand, those who aren't your friends you will rarely see again, especially if you're in Australia :pac: and why would you care about what they think anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

So my debs is next year, but i dont think ill be going! I booked a flight one way to australia for the start of june. Im not sure if im doing the right thing or should i go to my debs? Im not pushed on going but i dont want people talking saying 'reasons' they think i didnt go!?? I havent a job or anything linned up in oz yet as im going to be living there 6 months without working at the start so i could change my flights? Again im not pushed on going but i still have this feeling i should?

Don't worry about what people might say.

Your Debs won't mean a thing to you or anyone else in a year anyway.

You're finished school. Onwards and upwards.

Yeah I know its not, but you will get so much more out of going to Australia. How could a 6 month trip to a different continent possibly be less valuable to you than a night out with the girls? Who cares what they say. Theyll just be jealous theyre not going to australia.

My boyfriend is also living in australia so if he was home i would prob go wit him but hes not and i think its probly going to be a waste! I can justs ee it though when people find out there will be 100 questions
    Tasden wrote: »
    What people? Your friends wont mind and will understand, those who aren't your friends you will rarely see again, especially if you're in Australia :pac: and why would you care about what they think anyway?

Im not sure really! I just dont know what to do
    The Rabbit wrote: »
    Don't worry about what people might say.

Your Debs won't mean a thing to you or anyone else in a year anyway.

You're finished school. Onwards and upwards.

Yeah i do agree, and i always told myslef once i sat my last lc paper and walked out the door id never have anything to do with that school again!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭FlushEk

Go to Oz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

My boyfriend is also living in australia so if he was home i would prob go wit him but hes not and i think its probly going to be a waste! I can justs ee it though when people find out there will be 100 questions

Anyone who even half seriously suggests you shouldn't miss your debs because of it is a gob****e. Debs nights are crap in general. You'll look on your time in Oz as something special. You'll think of your debs in a few years as a bit of an 'ah jaysus, what were we thinking' kind of night.

Don't waste your life worrying about what other people will think. Grab every opportunity to travel and just go. Those small minded eejits who think the debs is something truly special are unlikely to ever experience what you will when you go travelling. Feck the debs and the clowns.

Yeah i do agree, and i always told myslef once i sat my last lc paper and walked out the door id never have anything to do with that school again!

D'you know what the only useful thing about a debs night is? You don't see these people all summer and then all of a sudden you're all dressed up and seeing them showing off and acting like tits.

That's when you suddenly cop that you're glad school's over, and that you'll never have to share the same space as the morons, ever again.

Save the money you'd spend. Buy a rucksack and a Lonely Planet guide and don't ever look back.

Anyone who even half seriously suggests you shouldn't miss your debs because of it is a gob****e. Debs nights are crap in general. You'll look on your time in Oz as something special. You'll think of your debs in a few years as a bit of an 'ah jaysus, what were we thinking' kind of night.

Don't waste your life worrying about what other people will think. Grab every opportunity to travel and just go. Those small minded eejits who think the debs is something truly special are unlikely to ever experience what you will when you go travelling. Feck the debs and the clowns.[/quote

Haahaha i suppose your right, like i did tell a few of my friends i was goijg and they were like no wait blah blah blah and thats why im now questioning it
    D'you know what the only useful thing about a debs night is? You don't see these people all summer and then all of a sudden you're all dressed up and seeing them showing off and acting like tits.

That's when you suddenly cop that you're glad school's over, and that you'll never have to share the same space as the morons, ever again.

Save the money you'd spend. Buy a rucksack and a Lonely Planet guide and don't ever look back.

Yeah, everyone seems to be saying that - on here anyway

Your friends will always be your friends. They'll still be there when you get back and you'll have bucketloads of stories to tell on many nights out, where you're not surrounded by girls you never liked in school with boyfriends or friends who d on't know each other so pretty much just get drunk and hope it's going to be a guaranteed ride like some american prom night movie. Load of rubbish, and I'm not bitter or anything like that, I just wish someone you actually knew would be saying 'go for it and LOVE every minute of it', ye know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

auldgranny wrote: »
    You are obviously a guy. A girl would never get away with 80 euro.

I am a female that went to a debs two weeks ago for the grand total of 20 euro!

Oh and OP, nobody's really gonna care if you don't go to the debs tbh. They'll be jealous / delighted for ya that you're in Oz and theyre at a shítty debs :pac:

peekachoo wrote: »
    I am a female that went to a debs two weeks ago for the grand total of 20 euro!

Oh and OP, nobody's really gonna care if you don't go to the debs tbh. They'll be jealous / delighted for ya that you're in Oz and theyre at a shítty debs :pac:

€20 how did u do that
    Your friends will always be your friends. They'll still be there when you get back and you'll have bucketloads of stories to tell on many nights out, where you're not surrounded by girls you never liked in school with boyfriends or friends who d on't know each other so pretty much just get drunk and hope it's going to be a guaranteed ride like some american prom night movie. Load of rubbish, and I'm not bitter or anything like that, I just wish someone you actually knew would be saying 'go for it and LOVE every minute of it', ye know?

Yeah i understand! There are people telling me go and people telling me stay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

id go if you get along with your class mates. Thinking back to mine, it was the last time we was all together. Mates went to different colleges and now some are abroad. Sad how time flies

€20 how did u do that

I wore a dress I already had, didnt pay for hair makeup etc, got a committee ticket for free and all I had to pay for was drink. Its all about who you know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You'll have plenty of nights out. This is another night out with your friends just in fancy clothes.

There will be some people who go and have a laugh. There will be someone who ditches their date the minute they get in the door. There will be someone who goes off with someone else's boyfriend/girlfriend. There will be someone who gets in a fight. There will be someone who gets so drunk that they end up passed out in a corner for the night and won't remember any of it.

People are always suspicious of independence and somone making a choice that is outside the norm. I didn't go to my debs back in the day, I had no interest. I didn't have plans for the night. I don't regret it one bit.

If you are good friends with some of the girls from school, there will be nights out with them again. The rest, you'll probably never speak to them again after the Leaving Cert, so a night out with them isn't that big a deal in the greater scheme of things.

I saw the same thing in college. One of the girls in our class went to Australia for the year after we finished our final exams, and everyone was like 'what do you mean you're not going to graduation' and she didn't and the world didn't stop turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

peekachoo wrote: »
    I wore a dress I already had, didnt pay for hair makeup etc, got a committee ticket for free and all I had to pay for was drink. Its all about who you know :pac:

For every one of you there are a hundred who spend 300+

• Advertisement

auldgranny wrote: »
    For every one of you there are a hundred who spend 300+

And its ridiculous imo!

I had my own debs last year and I actually bought a dress and stuff and I still didnt spent over a hundred quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

seriously OP I agree with everyone here. The debs is just glorified night out, and there'll plenty of night outs. Going to Australia is a better and more rewarding experience by far. You have a huge opportunity available to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Debs night is a good night out...but when I look back on the cost of the night (and I'm a bloke) I've gone to European cities for less, I've bought cars for less and some of my greatest nights out have cost me feck all.
    At 18 it's probably one of the better nights out that you'll have had so far, but four years later when I look back it's definitely overrated. If I had it all to do again, I wouldn't. Yes it's a good night, but nearly all the nights since have been better.

Go to Oz......you'll have memories to last a lifetime. Those who say a few years later that the debs is the greatest night ever either haven't gone out since, or don't remember it.

Advertisement