Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

endometriosis and treatments

Options
  • 14-08-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone im nearly 26 and only last year got diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis i have a coil implanted and had the endometrial tissue removed also iv been on yaz and hormone tablets untill today. My doctor (Dr. O'connor) in the coombe now wants me to go on decapeptyl injections. I was wondering if anyone has tried this method? And if anyone has had a successful pregnancy after this treatment? Thanks everyone!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Hi OP,

I've moved your thread over to the trying to conceive forum :)

All the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

I wasn't on decapeptyl, zoladex instead which is a very similar medicine.
    I was on it for 3 months last summer & had a lot of the different menopausal side effects. The worst part was the hot flushes, I remember being on a bus in Dublin on one of those hot days last July and my whole body drenched from head to feet with sweat. For me, in retrospect it was too strong & I had a horrid time on it. I'm stage 2 endo and have since changed doctors (I'm doing ivf also).
    I have met other people who just got on with it and were on this medicine for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rosa88

Can i ask what doctor you are seeing? Im just wondering about my future really and if i will be able to have kids of my own as iv always wanted children. My FSH level is 40 and was wondering if these injections are going to prevent me in future. Thanks for sharing your experience and all the best with IVF x

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Rosa88 wrote: »
    Hi everyone im nearly 26 and only last year got diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis i have a coil implanted and had the endometrial tissue removed also iv been on yaz and hormone tablets untill today. My doctor (Dr. O'connor) in the coombe now wants me to go on decapeptyl injections. I was wondering if anyone has tried this method? And if anyone has had a successful pregnancy after this treatment? Thanks everyone!!

Hi Rosa88,

I have endometriosis i was diagnosed at 14 and had the decapeptyl injection at 16. I was on this for 6 months so got two injections, i had really bad mood swings and hot flushes, i used to constantly be leaving class in school to pour cold water on my wrists to cool me down, this stopped my periods for about 9 months, but i still suffered after they came back. I went on the EVRA patch and that worked for me, i still suffered but not near as much as i had previously.

When i went to my gyne and told her i wanted to try for a baby and i had been trying 3 months at this stage she booked me in for a laparoscopy straight away and i had the endo lasered off and my tubes flushed to ensure no blockages, 3 months after this procedure i was pregnant, i'm 27 now and i have beautiful 17mth old son. I was trying for 6 mths and i was so stressed nothing was happening and when we said we'd stop actively trying and relaxed and start to enjoy sex again i conceived. I had a healthy pregnancy and i haven't suffered with endo since....

You're young and my advice would be if you want a baby do try before your 30 as the younger you are the more chance you have at conceiving naturally....well that's what my gyne said to me! I was always told i would prob never be able to conceive and after 12 years attending the same gyne she was shocked and delighted when i did conceive. she said she never taught she'd see that day :) think positive, so many people with endo have children, you will always hear the bad news stories and very rare here the positive stories unless you go looking for them.

I was with Prof. Crowley in the Coombe (i think she may have retired this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laceylu

Hi all,

I'm new here so feel free to move this post to another thread/forum if it's not the right place.

I had a diagnostic laparoscopy for endometriosis 10 days ago (fri 14th). My doc found endometriosis all over my left side. Anyway I was let go home that day, told to start taking the pill back to back immediately as treatment and signed off work for a week. I'm seeing the consultant again in 5 weeks to reassess the treatment plan.

I was very sore the first 3 days but then made a great recovery, even went into town, was driving normally etc. Since the weekend though I've been an emotional wreck and wrecked tired again. Also I have bad endo-like pain again in my left side, went back to work today but I was so tired and emotional I had to leave and go to doc for another cert...feeling really stupid because I was totally fine and it is only keyhole surgery.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or how long recovery took for others?

• Advertisement
Advertisement