Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitchen colour advice please

• 14-08-2014 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya,

So, in a fit of maternity-related nesting, I decided to paint the knotty old orange pine kitchen a new colour. Plenty of humming and hawing ensued, and I went for Farrow and Ball Bone. Monstrous job, degreased, light sand, primed, undercoat and then three top coats. But, all in all, happy with the finish on the timber.

Replaced the knobs with brushed chrome.

As you can see below, the new paint job, while clean and much less busy-looking than the knotty pine, it's also not as warm.

Any suggestions for some warmth, without clutter?

I have yet to get a blind for the window above the sink. I think I could get some simple accessories... Like a colourful kettle?

I'm not changing the flooring, I might consider painting the tiles, not replacing them either.

QAbsxbj.jpg

gQSsALq.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Without replacing the tiles on the wall, could you change the colour of the bulbs under the presses?

If you're not too attached to the fruit bowl, that could make a difference too - a glass fruit bowl would lend a splash of colour from the fruit inside. Those, combined with a blind, seem like easy ways to add a little warmth without any major effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Change the colour to what though? It's a kitchen worktop too obviously, so needs to be properly lit for using knives.

I have a glass bowl in another room, will swap it in and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The kitchen looks very white to me. The only real way of creating warmth is to paint the kitchen a warmer colour, such as deep cream or perhaps a yellow.
    Your walls, tiles and doors all look pretty similar and that's why it looks cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Holly Tree

Maybe you could insert a new blind to match the warm colours of the floor tiles? Even that and a more colourful fruit bowl or storage tins on the worktop would probably make it feel more warm and inviting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I think your kitchen looks lovely. With a baby on the way the neutrality of the kitchen won't stay that way forever. You'll probably keep your buggy in there - in a few months high chair and some toys.

Personally I love white backgrounds with some strong accent colours like lime green or fire engine red. And then kids accessories, photos and kids art provide personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have an ivory kitchen like that, got cream polished porcelain floor tiles and olive paint on walls.
    I think it looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Changed my worktop to a wood colour with matching blind and it transformed the kitchen after painting. Great selection out there and not a huge job.

Advertisement