Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Important Things To Note Moving To New Zealand

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I'm in NZ a week and I think it's an utter kip. We're suppose to be heading into summer and its just as cold as Ireland is. To add to that its been piss.ing rain two days in a row now. Subtropical climate my ar.se.

The place is completely dull and its an absolute rip off. The only thing it has going for it is the scenary and roads but you may aswel be in the UK. Most of the people here are incredibly dumb. They have no common scense. Ireland is miles ahead. Internet is also a rip off and completely slow.

I'm out of here once the Canadian visas are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

William F wrote: »
    I'm in NZ a week and I think it's an utter kip. We're suppose to be heading into summer and its just as cold as Ireland is. To add to that its been piss.ing rain two days in a row now. Subtropical climate my ar.se.

The place is completely dull and its an absolute rip off. The only thing it has going for it is the scenary and roads but you may aswel be in the UK. Most of the people here are incredibly dumb. They have no common scense. Ireland is miles ahead. Internet is also a rip off and completely slow.

yeah, good man. judge an entire country in a week when you've only seen a fraction of it...

Weather is changable, last weekend was spectacularly nice. Last summer was 4 months of sun without a day of rain...

It's expensive in some way, but you can hardly expect otherwise from such a remote country with a small population. Many things are cheaper too.

No common sense? IMO kiwi are sensible, inventive people who have a great can do attitude and come up with all sorts of diy solutions to problems. Don't see anything like that at home.

Where are you that the net is so slow. Mine is fast than what we had in Ireland at the time, 4g phone networks etc...

Finally, how is it dull, Auckland is the same as Dublin, wellington galway, quite country towns will always be quite country towns, suburbs are suburbs the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

So you are in NZ a whole week and from that short time you have determined that the weather is worse than Ireland and the entire country is s kip :rolleyes:

Some of those generalizations about kiwi people would have your most laid back Irish man up in arms if they were directed at "paddies". A bit of cop on. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

If you're giving out about two days of rain in spring, how do you cope with a week of Irish rain in summer?

You might be interested to know that HTEC is using the NZ third level education as a blue print; there have been technological universities for nearly 20yrs. Also the take up of part time education in NZ is higher. We also have a strong creative industry, James Cameron and Sir Peter Jackson being just a small part of it. I'm not taking anything away from Ireland, but there are some wonderful talented intelligent people in both countries, and some absolute thickos as well.
    NZs win, Canada's loss. You can always jump off the Harbour bridge and start swimming,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Op , do urself a favor and go to Melbourne or Sydney. Good jobs are hard to find. Weather is crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bmm wrote: »
    Op , do urself a favor and go to Melbourne or Sydney. Good jobs are hard to find. Weather is crap!

no good jobs and crap weather in Sydney / Melbourne, sounds like a great reason to go there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Corn on the cobbs are soooooo cheap though!
    Mussels too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Back on-topic please, and don't forget the two golden rules:

1. Attack the post, not the poster
    2. Report posts, do not reply on-thread (this is back-seat modding and is also a bannable offence)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Many people get laid weekly or fortnightly, but monthly isn't unheard of.

If I'd known that I would have moved there years ago!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 rondemole

youngblood wrote: »
    Mussels too!

and very very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

youngblood wrote: »
    Mussels too!

I rest my case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I'd second that, there are much better places to live, and to be honest you could probably pick up 'an old banger' cheap and live in somewhere like Tauranga

I have friends moving to Tauranga and they believe this is the best part of NZ to start a family. Would you agree? By all accounts the pace of life's much slower than Auckland or Wellington and is blessed with better weather than most other parts of NZ. The town seems a decent size too.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Taurangas great - I've got family from the UK living in papamoa, and it really is a great place for a family. Good weather, good sized town so you get decent facilities increased employment through the port and people escaping the 'rat race', plenty of beaches, good access to outdoor lifestyle, including skiing. I would definitely recommend Tauranga... Possibly the only downside is property can be a little expensive.

This thread has been a great read! NZ are Ireland aren't really that different, I don't think it's a huge culture shock.

Some funny comments regarding driving. I think in New Zealand, drivers are less courteous (eg when merging), but in Ireland people are more likely to speed/run red lights etc. Cops are everywhere in NZ.

Yes, houses are colder in the winter in NZ. I was always brought up being told to 'put more clothes on' in the winter. Over here, I feel like I wrap up warmer in the summer when you don't use heating, and then during winter you crank the heating up and walk around the house in shorts and t-shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Castle-Frank

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has worked in any of the ski resorts in New Zealand? Planning on heading over in June and would like find out if it's difficult getting a job, accommodation ect. Anyone had any good / bad experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has worked in any of the ski resorts in New Zealand? Planning on heading over in June and would like find out if it's difficult getting a job, accommodation ect. Anyone had any good / bad experiences?

Did a stint in the cafes in coronet, queenstown in the early noughties and had a blast. We just walkied in at the start of the ski season and got lucky though, not sure how it works now. Would definitely recommend queenstown as a base, expensive to live there but hugely rewarding from a social and scenic perspective!

Main downside of skiing/snowboarding in NZ is that you have to drive/bus up to the slopes which can be terrifying if there has been a snowfall. No barriers on a good lot of the stretches either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX0x_Q3fcDg

Advertisement