Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread banning

Options
  • 14-08-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

I have been banned from the "R.I.P Robin Williams " thread ostensibly on the reason of "because you seem intent on winding people in a sensitive thread". I wish to appeal this and I believe the decision is a completely wrong minded and punitive one.

I have included EVERY post I was involved in in this thread below.

You will see that I contributed in a positive way for a LONG time in this thread.

Then in #423 someone got upset because the media started to give too much details about how Williams died.

I myself did NOT contribute any such information to the thread.

Then people started to slate comments by others on the web and attack again the publishing of detailed information concerning how he actually committed suicide.

I did not attack anyone. I did not repeat the information about how he died. I did not abuse anyone. I DID express my opinion, which I believe is surely a valid opinion, that secrecy is wrong and that openness about such deaths gives society confidence about the voracity of the death and circumstance surrounding it. My latter comments are in red below. And my final comment was:
    "This is what it means to live in a free country without big government deciding what the people deserve to know and what they should not know. Thank goodness for the freedom of information rights they have. We need a lot more of it here. No one is pushing or forcing people to read or watch. If people don't want to know then it is easy to avoid it."

I believe the moderating action should be reversed. I am not planning to post in the thread again, having expressed my regrets clearly.

Piliger

Devastated. A legendary man of unlimited talent and gentleness and humour.

Unfortunately also many GPs are totally incapable of dealing with it. I know through personal experience. But it's easy to blame people and institutions. Depression is a monumentally difficult illness to deal with.
    There is a myth that is being spread by celebs and medics alike that all people have to do is talk about it and it can be dealt with. This is not true at all. There is no easy fix. There is no one path to the other side.
    Most of all we need good friends that we can reach out to, and we need to know what it means to be good friend to other people when they need it and manage to reach out for us.

There was nothing over rated about his acting performances. If anything he was under rated because of his comedy background. He has most definitely been one of the best actors of the last twenty years in any genre.

<Originally Posted by leahyl View Post
    The family should be the only ones that get those details to be honest.>
    One person said "what happens with the body next?" Seriously?!>

I don't agree though I do understand your sentiment. It is important that the public knows that there is no hidden agenda or subterfuge in important cases like this. Transparency produces confidence.

<Originally Posted by Larry Wildman View Post
    I just think that deaths like this need to be highlighted in another way. Rather than focussing on how great Good Will Hunting, we should be imploring people with similar feelings to share their problems.>

Well you're entitled to your view. Personally I see your post as being a fundamentally flawed view of what is happening. It is a celebration of a genius. It is a loss of that genius and the years of pleasure and entertainment he gave us. We are blessed with people like this a couple of times in a century.

<Originally Posted by Da Shins Kelly View Post
    Eddie Izzard was just on Newsnight talking about it. He seemed quite emotional, seemed to be having trouble articulating just how much of a loss it is.>

Yes just watched it. Trying to articulate this kind of thing is impossibly difficult especially for someone who knew him personally. Look how difficult it is for us who were touched by his beauty - and I use that word to encompass everything he gave us.
    (and who TF was the woman from America ? she had nothing intelligible to say, only her broad silly grin)

It is rare that I feel such a loss so deeply, as an old fart of 50+. And yet I do. I can't bring myself to watch his videos yet. It's more than just being a favourite performer, or someone who made me laugh. It's more than him being a terrific and enjoyable actor. He was so much more than all of those things put together. It's so hard to explain.

<Originally Posted by Piliger View Post
    Yes just watched it. Trying to articulate this kind of thing is impossibly difficult especially for someone who knew him personally. Look how difficult it is for us who were touched by his beauty - and I use that word to encompass everything he gave us.
    (and who TF was the woman from America ? she had nothing intelligible to say, only her broad silly grin)
    It is rare that I feel such a loss so deeply, as an old fart of 50+. And yet I do. I can't bring myself to watch his videos yet. It's more than just being a favourite performer, or someone who made me laugh. It's more than him being a terrific and enjoyable actor. He was so much more than all of those things put together. It's so hard to explain.>

Indeed. I think the circumstances make it all the more hard to take too. If he had died of some natural causes or had a bad heart or something, it would be awful, but not quite as awful as imagining just how bad things must have been for him in his own mind that he saw no other alternative except to end it.

>Who actually needs to know that he hung himself with a belt??

Seriously!! Why do news channels have to dig the arse out of the story like this?>

< Originally Posted by krudler View Post
    The internet can be a wonderful place but when it comes to stuff like this there are some truly horrible people on it.>

People need to get a grip. This is how humanity is. And trying to imagine that it can or will ever be different is to just block out reality. People need to get a sense of proportionality and perspective in things.

<Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
    Unfortunately the internet makes it easier for pondlife like that to access people and taunt them with comments and imagery that is upsetting, I doubt anyone who trolls like that would confront someone face to face, they wouldn't have the balls. Everyone can be brave hiding behind a computer screen and an avatar.>

More fool people who pay attention to it. Most people in the media who make a big deal of it do so to promote themselves, to create an image of a victim for themselves and to make money.

<Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
    easier said than done when you're in a vulnerable state which I imagine zelda williams is, I doubt self promotion is the agenda here.>

Possibly. But all of these people have advisers. I suspect in this case it is simple naivete and immaturity. Hard to believe at that age in this day and age.

<Originally Posted by krudler View Post
    Well if you're ever in the position where a famous relative has died and you're getting bombarded with abusive messages about it you can let us know how to deal with it accordingly.>

Easy to wade in and saying yeah yeah yeah is easy, without thinking. Firstly we have no one saying they were bombarded. We only know that some messages were received. And expecting maturity is hardly a negative thing imho. I doubt if anyone that has ever taken part in Boards discussions has escaped the odd bit of energetic abuse. As people get older they learn how to interpret isolated abuse and criticism.

<Originally Posted by smurgen View Post
    the way in which his death was recorded and played out has been sickening.this is one death where I really,really didn't want to hear the details.just on the news well ago I seen a clip of the coroner's assistant giving a press conference and it's one of the most bizarre things I have seen, the dude was almost smirking giving out very detailed graphic information on the suicide,id to switch it off.
    stupid reporters then outside his house and papers speculating about motives behind it,absolutely sickening.seems like everyone needs to know everything now and to hell with privacy and a human decency. the poor man can't even seem to get a bit of peace in death. there's something really wrong with the news media nowadays.>

Personally I find it easy to avoid knowing stuff I don't want to know. I don't read it.
    Personally also, I find it essential that details of such globally important people are recorded and documented in complete detail. It protects them and the public from behind the scenes manipulation and corruption. Long may it continue.

<Originally Posted by Tarzana View Post
    You're an odd fellow, aren't you?
    What ? Oh spare me the wagging finger. I haven't said a single thing against Williams, quite the opposite.>

Can you not deal with differing opinions ? What is it with this precious holier than thou attitude ?

<Originally Posted by LizzieJones View Post
    They don't need to know the details. I'll never understand why some people feel the need to put things which should be private out there.>

I find this whole secrecy attitude completely odious and appalling. This is what it means to live in a free country without big government deciding what the people deserve to know and what they should not know. Thank goodness for the freedom of information rights they have. We need a lot more of it here. No one is pushing or forcing people to read or watch. If people don't want to know then it is easy to avoid it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP as this isn't DRP related.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's no mod or cmod reply to this, are they even aware it was opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Clearly not.

It has been brought to our attention now. We will look over it and get back.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

CMods have just been made aware of this. We'll look into it. Apologies for the delay. Back soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi Piliger,

Again, we apologise for the delay in responding.

The simple fact is that it was a condolences thread for people to submit their condolences or reminisce about Robin Williams. The discussion you entered into (whether you started it or not) was unwelcome in the thread, and the general tone of some of your responses, as exampled below, were completely unnecessary. Not enough to warrant a warning or infraction, but merely a thread-ban to allow the thread to get back to its intended purpose.

"People need to get a grip. This is how humanity is. And trying to imagine that it can or will ever be different is to just block out reality. People need to get a sense of proportionality and perspective in things."
    "More fool people who pay attention to it."
    "Can you not deal with differing opinions ? What is it with this precious holier than thou attitude ?"
    "I find this whole secrecy attitude completely odious and appalling."

It was a thread for people to pay their respects. Your posts went against that. As such, I believe the thread ban to have been justified.

Regards,
    Penn

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement