Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway county

Options
  • 14-08-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hello guys,

just wondering if you could advise a decent place to live in co galway that would be commutable to Galway city? I would be moving soon from Mayo, selling house, etc,

Need a decent and safe place as I have a small child.

thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Moycullen is a good option. Nice little village with friendly estates.
    Easy to commute to Galway - N59 has much lighter traffic than Tuam/Headford/Dublin roads.
    Good sporting organisations - football, hurling, camogie, basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

To be honest most places in Co. Galway are very nice. Its just depends on how long of a commute you want each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

i would like to be about 30-40 min max from galway city.
    any idea about Athenry? nice place to live? houses there seems to be quite reasonably priced...

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Tuam is also an option, Supervalu, Lidl and Aldi coming, plenty of pubs, clothes shops, a large park and leisure centre with swimming pool....

Motorway will link it to Dublin and Limerick in 2017.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Fermi wrote: »
    i would like to be about 30-40 min max from galway city.
    any idea about Athenry? nice place to live? houses there seems to be quite reasonably priced...

Athenry is a nice town, great transport links with Galway city - train/motorway/good bus service. Joyce's supermarket is OK for some things, not so cheap for others, but there's a LIDL/ALDI in Oranmore/Loughrea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Tuam is also an option, Supervalu, Lidl and Aldi coming, plenty of pubs, clothes shops, a large park and leisure centre with swimming pool....

Motorway will link it to Dublin and Limerick in 2017.....

I am not so sure about Tuam, it has bad reputation, but maybe the info I have is not correct.
    The motorway south will make a huge difference for commuting to Galway to everybody for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geansai glas

I am not so sure about Tuam, it has bad reputation, but maybe the info I have is not correct.
    The motorway south will make a huge difference for commuting to Galway to everybody for sure.

Yep your right, the information you have is incorrect, fine town, and fine people, like all large towns it has it's pitfalls but overall a good place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

I am not so sure about Tuam, it has bad reputation, but maybe the info I have is not correct

You could contact Tuam Garda Station and speak with station sergeant Martin Connors. He won't mislead you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Loughrea is a nice town as well, you can get nearly everything you need in the shops and an easy commute to the city, either by car or a bus if you don't drive.

Reasonably prices houses as well.

AS for Tuam, some parts of it are ok but I wouldn't live there myself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Commute will be bad from any direction but all satellite towns are nice. Tbh it depends on budget but Barna, Moycullen, Athenry and Oranmore would be my choices.
    Tuam is grand but the above places are closer.

• Advertisement

AS for Tuam, some parts of it are ok but I wouldn't live there myself either.

Obviously you have very little experience or knowledge of Tuam so you shouldn't express such opinions.

bagels wrote: »
    Obviously you have very little experience or knowledge of Tuam so you shouldn't express such opinions.

Are you a mod?

No thought not so mind your own business.

Are you a mod?

No thought not so mind your own business.

Its not necessary for me to be a Mod in order for me to comment, especially when you're making statements that are without foundation, and it's more of my business than your's as I happen to reside in Tuam, whereas you don't.

bagels wrote: »
    Its not necessary for me to be a Mod in order for me to comment, especially when you're making statements that are without foundation, and it's more of my business than your's as I happen to reside in Tuam, whereas you don't.

You told me I shouldn't express my opinion, which was that I wouldn't like to live in Tuam.

Well I wouldn't like to live there and if that's a sore point with you that ain't my problem.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Mod note:

Folks, can we put a stop to the squabbling here?

Everyone is entitled to express their opinions on places, and people are welcome to refute any points made.

However, I would ask that posters bear in mind the "attack the post, not the poster" rule on boards and try to keep the commenting non-personal.

Cheers,
    DK

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

Hi I'm from Athenry so thought I'd give my POV of living here (I may end up elsewhere but that's nothing to do with Athenry and more to do with work). It's like small town anywhere in Ireland in many ways, a lot of the shops have closed down and it's much quieter than it used to be. Most people will go to Galway city to socialize, there are nightlink buses on Friday and Saturday nights. There are some nice pubs up town but just giving you the general feel.

My father lives in a lovely estate on the edge of town, there are lovely neighbours and my sisters kids often visit and have their friends there they play with (kids are 2, 6 and 7). Park is grand, playground is reasonable (great to have one since the town was without for a long time). There are a good few groups and organisations around the town but it can be difficult some times getting info on them. You have a good selection of schools.

I find Joyces a good shop, I'm very aware that they over charge for somethings so I know to have a trip to Aldi/Lidl planned either in Galway or Loughrea depending on the week. Some great butchers in the town and a fantastic green grocer (bit pricier but great quality stuff). AIB and Ulster bank & CU. We have a garda station (but rarely open) very often it's better to phone Galway.

Primary care centre is newly opened, gym & pool in the hotel, few other gyms around the town. Tennis club, much in the line of soccer and gaa clubs. You have the option of train/bus/car commute to the city. If you drive there are lovely walks in the woods in Derrydonnell, Monivea and Loughrea (not to mention Galway, Kinvara and much more).

If there's more specific stuff you're wondering about ask away. Felt it might be more useful to get a more detailed over view.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

I advise staying away from the inland towns. The coastal villages are much more friendly.

Barna, Furbo, Kinvara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

n1st wrote: »
    I advise staying away from the inland towns. The coastal villages are much more friendly.

Barna, Furbo, Kinvara.

And, I would think that property in these nice coastal areas is much more expensive and sought after than some of the inland towns ?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Obviously, because they're nicer places to live, in my opinion and many many lucky others.
    Also coastal villages are more used to blow ins, inland can be very clannish. Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 adib.mouchanan

roseagra wrote: »
    Hi I'm from Athenry so thought I'd give my POV of living here..

Primary care centre is newly opened, gym & pool in the hotel, few other gyms around the town. Tennis club, much in the line of soccer and gaa clubs. You have the option of train/bus/car commute to the city. If you drive there are lovely walks in the woods in Derrydonnell, Monivea and Loughrea (not to mention Galway, Kinvara and much more).

If there's more specific stuff you're wondering about ask away. Felt it might be more useful to get a more detailed over view.

Ciao Roseagra ! Hopefully I'll be start working in Galway Parkmore East and I'd like to live in a nice town where I can easily bring my wife and kids (we're in Italy now)... the older one is 2 and I'd like him to spend the day with other kids at the kindergarten, is there any in Athenry?
    we don't need much fun regarding pubs and clubs, we just need a relaxed area to live in with parks and easy to reach shops
    what's your suggestion?
    thx !

• Advertisement
Advertisement