Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle aged spread

Options
  • 14-08-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've been meaning to kick start a fitness regime for a while now. I hit the big mile stone of 33 and a third a few weeks ago so thought it's now or never.

I like the idea of these logs and have read a few so thought I'd start one myself.

I'm 6'3" and was fairly active / skinny when younger, into running, football and cycling etc. Lately I've been into boxsets / Netfilx along with McDonald's and Domino's so the middle aged spread has "crept" in.

I thought I would post my stats and see if I can improve them over time. I got a fancy machine to measure this, an Omron BF508!
    Weight : 97.7kg
    Waist : 40.5 inches / 103 cm
    Body fat : 30.3%
    BMI : 26.6
    Visceral Fat : 9
    10K run time : TBD

My main goal is to get healthy and lose "a few" pounds and get that waist size down a bit. I will have a think about it and pick an event / race and a projected time for a more concrete goal soon.

On the diet side, I'm starting with breakfast and replacing toast with butter and jam, with porridge starting in the morning. Will work on lunch and dinners next.

To kick start this, I'm off for a 10k run now.

I hope to look back on this post in 6 months to a year and be able to list marked improvements on the stats above and the 10k time I'm about to record!

Wish me luck...

Go team!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Best of luck, chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

So back from a 10k run around town.
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/565144522

Did it in just under 55 minutes. Seem to have tweaked my hamstring coming around Stephens Green and thought I'd have to stop, but I persevered.

I used to do this run in about 48 minutes not that long ago, maybe 8 months or a year, so it's amazing how fast you can lose your fitness!!

Good to be back running and hope to get a few more in before next weeks weigh in!

Can't wait for the porridge in the morning!!

Go team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Good luck and here's to a re reg request in 12 months time to NotSoBigAl81

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Wow it took me months to run 10k in 55 mins. :)
    Good luck with the training!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I hit the big mile stone of 33 and a third a few weeks ago so thought it's now or never.

Dramatic much? :)

I'm 33 too. Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement