Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Pulis gone from Palace

• 14-08-2014 9:09pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭

Mad that Pulis seems to be gone, official confirmation soon, but Oliver Kay has tweeted about it definitely happening. You'd think after last season they'd give him some money unless his demands were unreasonable I guess.
    Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes 4m
    Pulis departure from #CPFC will officially be "by mutual consent". Not exactly a smooth and happy parting of the ways, though.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

And that will be Palace relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Crazy decision if it turns out to be true. Did a great job there last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

What.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Terrible news for Palace supporters. Their odds to be relegated will be shortened considerably now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He really didn't want Martin Kelly, did he?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Telegraph and the express are reporting it too now. Can't say I'm sad to see him gone on a selfish level though as Liverpool teams haven't done great against his teams down the years. He'll be back at a club who've sacked their manager before Christmas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

5starpool wrote: »
    He'll be back at a club who've sacked their manager before Christmas though.

West Ham maybe, although the fans hate Sam, so maybe wouldn't want another "defensively minded long ball merchant".

Leicester, WBA.

Although maybe Swansea, seeing as he's Welsh.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

West Ham maybe, although the fans hate Sam, so maybe wouldn't want another "defensively minded long ball merchant".

Leicester, WBA.

I was thinking Villa as Lambert probably won't see out another season I reckon, although there is not much money to be spent there either lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

And that will be Palace relegated

A dead cert I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

5starpool wrote: »
    I was thinking Villa as Lambert probably won't see out another season I reckon, although there is not much money to be spent there either lately.

that's why Keane is #2 shirley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Premier league manager of the season, brought them from certain relegation to 11th and they lost him. Apparently he wanted steven caulker, sigurdson or michu and they couldn't even get one of them. What a poor board.... :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Delighted to see that long ball merchant turfed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't quite put my finger on it, but always found Pulis unlikeable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Delighted I dont have to see that vile man and his awful caveman tactics this season.

There's always been rumblings of problems with the chairman.

Fans must be livid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Digitalism wrote: »
    Delighted I dont have to see that vile man and his awful caveman tactics this season.

They worked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

One of the stranger moves alright.

That's three managers in a row that have walked away from palace despite a good performance in the role (people may question Ian Holloway being in that list, but he got them promoted despite considerable upheaval). Worrying indication about the board / working environment.

Does Parrish have a rep as a difficult character? He's come across as reasonable in any interviews I've heard.

I suspect Pulis won't be on the shelf for long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

6JkjAh1m.jpg

"Are you saying I have a chance to get off the dole?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Personally wont be sorry to see him go. Done a fantastic job for Palace though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Is there any reason why some people think pulis is uniquely unpleasant, besides his defensive tactics?

Several proponents of beautiful football down the years have been pretty horrible human beings, after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Pulis for en-ger-land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Did an unreal job last season so deserved to be backed to some degree. The board are being unnecessarily frugal, the PL is a cash cow and you need to speculate to accumulate.

Their squad is dire but Pulis gave them a fighting chance, now they're just doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Few Chairmen will sleep better knowing hes on the dole in case it goes tits up with their own teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hate him or not, you have to admit he's done fantastic jobs at Stoke/Palace.

Come December he will be linked to anyone in the bottom 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I don't like the guy but i was looking forward to seeing how they would do under him this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Come December he will be linked to anyone in the bottom 10.

Bet you 1 Euro he will be linked with a job by 2nd week of sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You have to wonder if he just pisses off hierarchies or something? Otherwise it is a baffling decision to let him go. Me thinks there's either something else going on behind the scenes he has a job elsewhere lined up or there's bad blood between him and the club. Either way, it's still baffling. He did a wonder job last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

My views on him have completely changed in line of the job he did with Palace and I'd take him at Sunderland in the morning if Poyet was to go.

He will be the first name on the lips for many when the bottom half/mid-table sides begin changing managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Turtwig wrote: »
    You have to wonder if he just pisses off hierarchies or something? Otherwise it is a baffling decision to let him go. Me thinks there's either something else going on behind the scenes he has a job elsewhere lined up or there's bad blood between him and the club. Either way, it's still baffling. He did a wonder job last season.

It was to do with transfers I've read.

Pulis spends relatively big money on players with little to no re-sale value which may not have gone down to well with the board. Though one would think the board would have been aware of that before appointing him if it was an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I actually enjoyed watching Palace last season. Hated that Stoke team and not a big fan of Pulis the person due to my own reasons but can't take away from the man's ability and the incredible run Palace went on last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

geeky wrote: »
    Is there any reason why some people think pulis is uniquely unpleasant, besides his defensive tactics?

Several proponents of beautiful football down the years have been pretty horrible human beings, after all.

When four miners died in Wales in 2011 and Sunderland beat Stoke 4-0
    "Let's get this sorted out straight away," he blasted. "There's been a tragedy in Wales with the miners.
    "Those poor souls were working very hard underground to look after their families. They would earn in one year what some of our players earn in a week.
    "We live in a bubble in football and sometimes you have to burst that bubble and look outside.
    "We travel first-class and spoil the players rotten, so you will get no excuses from Stoke City about the matches we are playing and the travelling we are doing.
    "We have all these games because of what we have achieved over the years and we have to embrace them.
    "We are unfortunate in some respects that every time we play in Europe, the next game is away from the Britannia, but we can't do anything about that.
    "So to make excuses after what happened in South Wales, which is where I was brought up, isn't good enough.
    "To complain and moan about travelling when you see what's happened there is ridiculous."

Read more at http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-excuses-declares-Pulis-City-surrender/story-13359758-detail/story.html#3jLHlVRro2AGA3c9.99

I've always liked him. Especially in comparison to the likes of Harry Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hated him and Stoke but he was great at palace who played good football.
    As a liverpool fan I would perfer not to be playing his teams, terrible record.

Palace chairman is an idiot letting pulis go. A good manager and a big London club they could go places if they spent a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Pulis had Palace playing a lot nicer football than people give him credit. Easybjournalism that it was just the stoke puke but he had them playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Leicester, WBA.

We hate Pulis more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I never minded him.

I'd have him at Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Have to say, I had very little love for Pulis before he joined Palace. Did a super job with the squad and the football they played didn't seem as bad as his Stoke days either.

He was given a lot of money at Stoke though so perhaps he was expecting the same from Palace. Whatever the reason, it's a terrible time for it all to blow up. Can't really remember O'Neill leaving Villa but what effect did it have on their start?

Perhaps they'll do a Southampton and surprise us all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Paully D wrote: »
    My views on him have completely changed in line of the job he did with Palace and I'd take him at Sunderland in the morning if Poyet was to go.

Personally I;d prefer relegation than Pulis' caveman tactics - effective yes - watching Poyets team is enjoyable , Pulis's I switch the channel. He'll end up at leicester , leeds pretty soon, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

thebaz wrote: »
    Personally I;d prefer relegation than Pulis' caveman tactics - effective yes - watching Poyets team is enjoyable , Pulis's I switch the channel. He'll end up at leicester , leeds pretty soon, no doubt.

The few games I saw of Palace at the back end of last season were really enjoyable to watch, the style of play was quite exciting and nothing like what Pulis had at Stoke.

Whether that would have changed if he had more time there I guess we won't know.

Anyways I hope Palace get a decent manager in and have a decent shot at staying up, for a relatively small club in a small stadium they generate a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Palace now one of the favourites for relegation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

I reckon you'll get your wish now so, massively over-achieved last season with a lackluster squad. Feel sorry for Martin Kelly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He turned Jason Puncheon into one of the better Premier League players for half a season FFS. That's a good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very unfair on Pulis, he does the best with what he can and Palace were played good stuff on their good run last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

murpho999 wrote: »
    Very unfair on Pulis, he does the best with what he can and Palace were played good stuff on their good run last season.

i've watched Pulis teams over the year's, and his style of football same as Big sam , is dire - maybe not polite to say so, similar to criticising Big Jacks long ball tactics wasn't popular - that type of football is not my cup of tea - if people like it fair eneogh - but for me would prefer watching GAA or ruby than professional hoofball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Thought he did a decent job at palace and not a great escape job some people seem to think it was, he'll be back in work soon enough id imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bizarre timing. Fans are going to be angry on Saturday. He'll be employed again for sure when the sack race starts up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

geeky wrote: »

I think the time he got away with a driving ban because of his argument in court that the presence of a chauffeur in his car would adversely effect his ability to conduct business as a football manager, which would then in turn effect Stoke City FC as a whole, which would then further effect the livelihoods of people whose businesses depended on the new found success of the club to survive.

In short he argued in court that he,The Mighty Pulis, was the only thing keeping the candle of continued prosperity and well being of the poor people of Stoke from being snuffed out.

The Judge ruled in his favor. Now that might prove that his balls are enormous, or at the very least as big as his ego, but it makes him sound like a prat to me.
    http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-manager-Tony-Pulis-avoids-driving-ban/story-15589170-detail/story.html

To be fair though Palace are most decidedly mental to part with Pulis. What he achieved last year with them was loaves and the fishes level of miraculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Quite like him myself, and he's a magician of a manager when dealing with few resources.

Wales should move heaven and earth to make him their international manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

To do what he did last year with a pretty bad Palace side makes this is a crazy decision. The harsh reality is that they have to make a choice whether they want to go down playing decent stuff or stay up playing long ball, physical football.

If you're going to replace him - like Stoke did - then you at least ensure that a) you've solidified your place as a Premier League outfit and b) ensure the man you want to replace him is available. Ideally he's the kind of manager you bring in for 2-3 years that keeps you up and then if he's not willing to abandon his style of play - then replace him. It's a bit of give and take, he has to realise that there is a ceiling to the kind of football he wants his team to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Bizarre timing , bizarre decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement