Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Pulis gone from Palace

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Apparently chairman wanted Zaha, Pulis didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Corholio wrote: »
    Apparently chairman wanted Zaha, Pulis didn't.

If true, I can't blame him (Pulis). Zaha's exactly the type of attitude problem that Pulis would have zero interest in putting up with. Not the type of player who would fit into his dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Bizarre seeing people ridicule his tactics last season when they were a lot different from what he had Stoke doing IMO

That was the shock for me, he spent bucket loads at Stoke to have them playing hoofball but then went to Palace and actually had them playing some football

Wouldn't care if they got relegated now, it seems like the chairman fancies himself as a back seat manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've always liked him, hope to see him back in the PL this year. I'll always remember him turning up for the second half of a Stoke game against Villa after his mother's death that day. Not something I would have done but that's dedication if I ever saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

geeky wrote: »
    Is there any reason why some people think pulis is uniquely unpleasant, besides his defensive tactics?

Several proponents of beautiful football down the years have been pretty horrible human beings, after all.

Basically every time he opens his mouth. He just comes across as a really unlikeable character with a chip on his shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Arghus wrote: »
    I think the time he got away with a driving ban because of his argument in court that the presence of a chauffeur in his car would adversely effect his ability to conduct business as a football manager, which would then in turn effect Stoke City FC as a whole, which would then further effect the livelihoods of people whose businesses depended on the new found success of the club to survive.

"Man spins a narrative to defend himself in court shocker!!!":eek::eek::eek:

I've always wondered why people hated Pulis so much, figured there must have been something bad happened somewhere, but if that court story is the reason then gods almighty people are easily offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

"Man spins a narrative to defend himself in court shocker!!!":eek::eek::eek:

I've always wondered why people hated Pulis so much, figured there must have been something bad happened somewhere, but if that court story is the reason then gods almighty people are easily offended.

Wasn't it Ferguson who claimed he had diarrhoea in court to get off a speeding fine??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Arghus wrote: »
    I think the time he got away with a driving ban because of his argument in court that the presence of a chauffeur in his car would adversely effect his ability to conduct business as a football manager, which would then in turn effect Stoke City FC as a whole, which would then further effect the livelihoods of people whose businesses depended on the new found success of the club to survive.

In short he argued in court that he,The Mighty Pulis, was the only thing keeping the candle of continued prosperity and well being of the poor people of Stoke from being snuffed out.

The Judge ruled in his favor. Now that might prove that his balls are enormous, or at the very least as big as his ego, but it makes him sound like a prat to me.
    http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-manager-Tony-Pulis-avoids-driving-ban/story-15589170-detail/story.html

To be fair though Palace are most decidedly mental to part with Pulis. What he achieved last year with them was loaves and the fishes level of miraculous.

That is priceless! While I applaud the audacity of that, it's pretty ridiculous alright.

Just to clarify, I don't think he's some kind of saint, but I believe that most successful managers are world class a@#!holes by necessity. Even the 'nice guys' (Rogers, Ancellotti, di Matteo) have an ego and self confidence that many would consider sociopathic.

I also think that many who deride his 'cave man tactics' are lazily judging him by his last two seasons at Stoke rather than how his palace team performed - or indeed his early Stoke team. If you enjoy pacey wing play, then those teams were very enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im delighted hes gone.

He always seems to get a result off Liverpool :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

That's the nail in the coffin for Palace's chances of staying up this season. I don't see Tim Sherwood getting the best out of this bunch of players but remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sherwood and Parish will go together well, two London geezers who haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully D wrote: »
    My views on him have completely changed in line of the job he did with Palace and I'd take him at Sunderland in the morning if Poyet was to go.

He will be the first name on the lips for many when the bottom half/mid-table sides begin changing managers.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're are owners already getting itchy fingers to fire their manager and get Pulis in before someone else does.

Think the first sacking of the season may come around fast enough, this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Also, the contrast in the two managerial award winners from last season, Rodgers and Pulis.

Rodgers backed to the hilt, and has brought in more players than I have ever seen Liverpool do in one season. Pulis leaves because the owner suddenly gets ideas that he knows more than the man who performed an absolute footballing miracle last season.

Nobody gave Palace a bloody chance, before he took over.

Idiotic move from Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Probably an unpopular opinion but I actually enjoyed watching Palace at times last season. So much energy in the team, full of hard work and drive. It reminds you when you hoof a ball around a park every Saturday that with a bit of organisation, desire and work ethic you can compete against better opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Digitalism wrote: »
    Delighted I dont have to see that vile man and his awful caveman tactics this season.

But will you be happy to be playing Barnsley the following season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

All the people giving out about tony pulis big sam type teams. As a blackburn rovers supporter, I WISH we still had big sam in charge.

He was getting the job done, keeping us in the premier league.

Any premier league supporters wish they had steve kean, michael áppleton or henning berg ?

No ?

I thought so.

Advertisement