Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Selection Process Opinions

Options
  • 14-08-2014 9:44pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So getting closer to release day(although I don't we start till the 1st roster update) and was thinking about the selection process and with the possible low numbers(I think we're at 13 atm) might affect us this season in the current format and possible alternative formats.

Format 1:
    Current process that we all we know
    Pro's:
    +Completely open so everyone can pick anywhere in any division
    +Anyone new joining can slot into any open divsion
    Cons:
    -Well for me by far the biggest's con would be the amount of cpu games,if people spread out in picking teams we could be looking at alot of cpu games much like the same as our last season here.I know myself and Guns had at least 8+ cpu games,those with only 2 in their division had alot too.
    -Since the order is decided upon our records so those with the best records pick last they should get weaker teams but how weak a team would they get really? Like if we had 16,going by teams overall rating you have teams like the Cardinals(rank 16),Lions(rank 17),Dolphins(rank 18) there not to mention teams like the Texans,Bucc's,Browns,Vikes lower down again.
    To sum really even if your picking towards the lower end you're still gonna end up with a damn good team(obviously I know ppl will still pick lower ranked teams anyway)
    -The season ending draft would also be affected I would think,again with alot of cpu games I would imagine come season end you could be looking at a situation where all the human teams have the lowpicks(presuming people win most cpu games) and the cpu will have the top picks.So there'll be no big trades ala someone's trying to trade up for a top 5 pick,the highest anyone might be able to go might only be outside the top 10
    -will add point later

Possible alternatives
    Format 2:Everyone picks within the same conference
    Pro's:
    +Hugely reduce cpu games(I think only 4) and everyone has the same amount of them.
    +Draft picks:with the cpu banished to one conference then there will be human players with high picks as the cpu will post good records in the opposing conference.
    +Team picking:If everyone was picking within the same conference then those picking near the bottom would most likely be picking from weaker teams ala the raiders or jags
    Cons:
    -By sticking to one conference though you are taking away chance for people to play with with whatever team they like or their favourite teams or play within particular divisions.
    -Also another problem might be if say there was a full 16 person conference it would lead to a problem should another person wish to join the league
    -Not exactly sim :pac:

Format 3: Nomination of divisions
    Perhaps a situation where a certain amount of divisions are nominated to be played and these divisions are then filled by at least 3 players.
    Cpu games:Probably a middle ground on the amount of cpu games but would be the same for everyone I think.
    Team picking:Again those picking lower down in order would a least have to pick one of the weaker teams in a divsion.Also people would be able to play with their favourite teams or divisions presuming they nominate them.
    Draft picks:With the cpu filling out certain divisions they'll be posting good records which in turn should mean lower picks for them.

I had a longer post the other day and have since forgot one of the pro/con points :pac: .Anyway really my only concern is the amount of cpu games and 1/2 team divisions.
    I'm happy to go with the current format but I'm interested to hear peoples opinions and idea's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I've no problem with CPU games ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

At a minimum if we fill a conference there will be 5 CPU games, 4 from an entire division and then one from a division in which the team finished in the same position as you,

You would play 6 division human games
    4 conference human games and the 1 conference human from the same position as you.

Also then how do you pick the conference, a coin toss or a vote?
    What happens to the poor chap who is player 17.. Well he'll get to the SB everytime essentially

There's a lot to consider tbh and at this point we only have 13 players

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Option 3 could leave you playing 2 fully cpu conferences and and 2 sane finishing spot games which would mean 10 CPU games, however we could try to pick divisions in a way to leave that to the final season when I imagine most will be on Xbox one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

im open to what ever the majority want

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

At a minimum if we fill a conference there will be 5 CPU games, 4 from an entire division and then one from a division in which the team finished in the same position as you,

You would play 6 division human games
    4 conference human games and the 1 conference human from the same position as you.

Also then how do you pick the conference, a coin toss or a vote?
    What happens to the poor chap who is player 17.. Well he'll get to the SB everytime essentially

There's a lot to consider tbh and at this point we only have 13 players
    I imagine the conference picking would be vote based but I guess it would have to be two thirds majority or something like that as if it was a close enough vote then there probably would be too many disappointed.
    Yes player 17 would be a issue alright as would any new player looking to join,had it on the cons list.
    Option 3 could leave you playing 2 fully cpu conferences and and 2 sane finishing spot games which would mean 10 CPU games, however we could try to pick divisions in a way to leave that to the final season when I imagine most will be on Xbox one
    Darn didn't realise there would be so many cpu games :(

Anyway I'm just throwing stuff out there,it's a bit off yet and we don't know how many players we will have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Team selection process:
    -Buy an Xbox One
    -Random draw
    -Select teams.

Easy.

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Darn didn't realise there would be so many cpu games :(

Anyway I'm just throwing stuff out there,it's a bit off yet and we don't know how many players we will have.

yeah i think we'd average around 7 CPU games which is a lot
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Team selection process:
    -Buy an Xbox One
    -Random draw
    -Select teams.

Easy.

come back at christmas mikey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Format 2 seems the fairest. In most likely hood we will never reach 17 players. There is more of a chance of losing players as people migrate then gaining them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

I'm open minded after a 96% CPU season... I'm also open to format 2 as long as it's AFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Is there any way that we could pick 2 teams each?

• Advertisement

Nope your gamer tag can only have one team

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭guns4all

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    I'm open minded after a 96% CPU season... I'm also open to format 2 as long as it's AFC!

NFC all the way!!!

Much better divisions. Stronger teams all the way thru.
    Who wants to be stuck with the Jags, Raiders, Texans, Bills, Dolphins (need i go on!!)
    Only one can be the Ravens!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

NFC for me, NFC East in particular

Commish rules! Afc south!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd vote to stick to they way we're doing things now.

We'll just have to accept that there's going to be a lot of CPU games given that people are in transition mode to the Xbox One IMO.

I think 16 or 17 would be a realistic number of human players to get which would be half a full league and probably as good as could be expected all things considered.

It would probably go something like:

AFC North - 3 humans
    AFC South - 2 humans
    AFC West - 2 humans
    AFC East - 1 humans

NFC North - 3 humans
    NFC South - 2 humans
    NFC West - 2 humans
    NFC East - 2 humans

While obviously far from ideal, there'd still be a good mix there throughout divisions and conferences. A far cry from a couple of seasons ago when we had a full 32 man league but that's due to the transition between consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

We could also impose restrictions on which division you can pick in depending where the others pick to keep the amount of CPU games equal. Would also make it harder for those that pick later on

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    We could also impose restrictions on which division you can pick in depending where the others pick to keep the amount of CPU games equal. Would also make it harder for those that pick later on

yeah this was done on the PFL a while back afaik,
    basically each person from 1st -8th in the draft was required to pick a division with no one else in it.

Then from 9-16 those players picked a team with one player in it.

So there were 2 players in each division, then the additional few players picked anywhere so half the division had.

we could also do a secret draw.

Each player sends me their top 4 choices, but they need to be from difference divisions, that way we should get an even spread, we do it on draft order.

So person 1, picks Packers, Browns, Patriots, Seahawks for example.
    they get the packers

Person 2 picks Bears, Titans, Jets, 9'ers
    In this instance they'd get the Titans

It would run this way for the 1st 8 players so that we have 1 player in each division.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Isnt that the way we did it for madden13, It added to the suspense to see which team we actually got, I got landed with the cards that year...

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    Isnt that the way we did it for madden13, It added to the suspense to see which team we actually got, I got landed with the cards that year...

yep it was, it does turn it into a bit of a lottery but it could be fun

I would think you really don't want any all-CPU divisions. The idea should be for every human player in the playoffs or as many as possible.

• Advertisement

yep agreed mikey, id rather not have anyone having a CPU game in the play offs.

On a side note, the wife has officially confirmed she'll get me a XBO for christmas

yep agreed mikey, id rather not have anyone having a CPU game in the play offs.

On a side note, the wife has officially confirmed she'll get me a XBO for christmas

She da real MVP.

Advertisement