Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handed in my notice

Options
  • 14-08-2014 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

I am looking for some of your thoughts on my current situation.

I got offered a new job last month so I handed in my notice, the boss said I had to give 3 months notice. This was my first job (I'm there 14 months), and first time handing in notice so I was nervous and went along with everything he said. I needed to have a finish date set for the end of September, so I asked about my remaining holiday time and how that would factor into the notice. He said that I could forfeit my holidays and leave on the 26th September. I was relieved that I could give the new company a definitive start date.

Since speaking to the boss, and other people, I have studied my contract and it says that the notice period is 12 weeks - not 3 months. I have noticed a couple of things in my contract that have never been followed such as working hours, salary review, performance target etc.

One of my colleagues left this year, he was asked to give 8 weeks notice, and received his holiday pay when he left.

This has been on my mind for the past few days, and I am feeling really angry about the whole thing. On top of this, new members of staff have been hired (to replace myself & my colleague) and are getting substantially more money than I am on. I feel that the contract is very one sided and one of the few terms that are being rigidly adhered to is the notice period. At this stage I am feeling burnt-out, I have lost interest in the job and the thoughts of another month+ working there is killing me.

At the moment I feel like going in to the boss and telling him that I am leaving at the end of August, just to put an end to the whole thing. A question I have is, would I be entitled to holiday pay if I left?

Apologies for the length of the post, but I feel a bit better after venting . I am not seeking legal advice etc. just would love to know if people think I am over reacting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hairway2Steven

AFAIK, Your entitled to your holiday pay regardless, You earned the holidays racking up yours hours over the year.

I have left jobs and gotten my holiday pay with my last paycheck

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

emmmm 12 weeks is 3 months

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Emmmmm no it's not.

There are 52 weeks in a year, which is 12 months long, three months is 13 weeks

@OP tbh sounds like you are venting frustrations here.
    I'd just suck it up and move on if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

12 weeks is 84 days, 3 months would usually be considered 90 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Sorry if I misread your post, but if you're moaning that you didn't follow up things promised to you in your contract, or worked more hours than you stated in your contract.. my advice is to get over it. If you accrued holiday pay you're entitled to get paid for it. If they don't pay you, that's the only real grievance I can see.
    Good luck in your new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

I thought less than 2years In a job was 2weeks notice??why is that 12weeks? Correct me if I'm wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I thought less than 2years In a job was 2weeks notice??why is that 12weeks? Correct me if I'm wrong

One is free to contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dkspex

tenifan wrote: »
    Sorry if I misread your post, but if you're moaning that you didn't follow up things promised to you in your contract, or worked more hours than you stated in your contract.. my advice is to get over it. If you accrued holiday pay you're entitled to get paid for it. If they don't pay you, that's the only real grievance I can see.
    Good luck in your new job.

My original post did seem like I was moaning about hours etc. but that wasn't my point, I tidied it up. I am just so annoyed at the fact that they basically told me if I want to leave by the end of September, I have to forfeit my holidays while other staff can leave with 8 weeks notice + holiday pay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dkspex wrote: »
    My original post did seem like I was moaning about hours etc. but that wasn't my point, I tidied it up. I am just so annoyed at the fact that they basically told me if I want to leave by the end of September, I have to forfeit my holidays while other staff can leave with 8 weeks notice + holiday pay.

What does YOUR contract say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A contract of employment can increase the notice due by either party involved. The only restriction is that it can't sign away statutory rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

You definitely cannot forfeit your statutory annual leave. They have to pay you for them. Might not be so clear-cut any days over the 20 days statutory leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

They can't make you forfeit your holidays, what they can do is make part of your notice your holiday, otherwise it must be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Just leave now, it's not worth it.

If it's the other way around you certainly wouldn't be given 3 months notice.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Just leave now, it's not worth it.

Not true, my current contract imposes a two month notice period for either side.

If you look into it you'll probably find that you're not actually forfeiting your holidays. You constantly accrue holiday entitlements while working (or on leave). What your boss is most likely doing is reducing your notice period by the number of days holidays you would be due by the end of the period. You should still be paid for them. If that's not the case your employer is effectively breaking the law. Calm down, do some simple calculations and then clarify the situation (calmly) with your boss.

Stheno wrote: »
    What does YOUR contract say?

12 weeks, the same as everyone else. I hold my hands up, I signed it in haste when I was fresh out of college, lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

Phone NERA tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stheno wrote: »
    Not true, my current contract imposes a two month notice period for either side.

You'd never serve the 2 months notice if you were asked to leave though!

There are very few jobs that require 3 months, and in this case the replacement employee is already in place.

@OP - Create a handover plan if required, and re-negotiate your notice period to include any holiday pay owed and a sooner end date. You should not be waiving your holiday pay.

If you look into it you'll probably find that you're not actually forfeiting your holidays. You constantly accrue holiday entitlements while working (or on leave). What your boss is most likely doing is reducing your notice period by the number of days holidays you would be due by the end of the period. You should still be paid for them. If that's not the case your employer is effectively breaking the law. Calm down, do some simple calculations and then clarify the situation (calmly) with your boss.

He definitely said forfeit and not get paid for them. I was actually quiet as a mouse and avoided all manner of conflict throughout my time there (and still do, but its been on my mind now for a few days & the boss hasn't been there). You're right, I'll have to clarify the situation, mention that its 12 weeks notice not 3 months and go from there.

• Advertisement

He definitely said forfeit and not get paid for them. I was actually quiet as a mouse and avoided all manner of conflict throughout my time there (and still do, but its been on my mind now for a few days & the boss hasn't been there). You're right, I'll have to clarify the situation, mention that its 12 weeks notice not 3 months and go from there.
    Get your facts down on paper. Dates, periods, holidays accrued, etc. Let him know that if you cease employment at the date indicated that you'll be owed holiday pay and you expect to claim it. Above all else keep calm.

There are very few jobs that require 3 months, and in this case the replacement employee is already in place.
    Three month notice periods are a big bugbear of mine. They're fine if you're in a senior position that's extremely difficult to replace but for an ordinary employee (especially a graduate) they're disproportionately long for most fields and generally are just there as a barrier to job movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

How many employers would wait 3 months for a new employee to start a new job,
    not many i would imagine.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    How many employers would wait 3 months for a new employee to start a new job,
    not many i would imagine.

Luckily enough, the new company were willing to wait. I can't imagine many companies enforcing the 3 months notice either except for key staff members, I know my motivation and interest has dropped massively in the past month, and there is still a bit to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JBRowan

wait it out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As others have said, you can't forfeit your holiday pay. You can't even sign a contract which says, "I agree to forfeit my holiday pay". It's legally invalid.

Write a new letter to your boss,

"Further to my notice of resignation on <date>, having reviewed my contract of employment the required notice period to terminate this employment is 12 weeks. As such, please be advised that I will finish my employment with <employer> on <date>.

On that date or before the end of that month, I expect to be provided with all back pay (including holiday and overtime entitlements) as well as P45 for this employment year.

Best Regards
    etc..."

There's no debate here.

The only option your employer has is to terminate your employment early, in which case you are obliged to be paid for the full period of notice, even if you're not working it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

zAbbo wrote:

If the company let you go (other than for gross misconduct), you would be entitled to be paid for the notice period. They might tell you to stay at home, but they'd still have to pay you. Both parties have agreed to a contract.

Advertisement