Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from XP to Win 7

Options
  • 14-08-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 with XP ( Not supported any more )

I have been offered a Windows 7 installation disk that came with a Dell Latitude E6400.

Will this E6400 disk work for me to install win7 on E6500 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 with XP ( Not supported any more )

I have been offered a Windows 7 installation disk that came with a Dell Latitude E6400.

Will this E6400 disk work for me to install win7 on E6500 ?

It should do, check the Dell website and see if there are windows 7 drivers available for your laptop.

You most probably won't have a licence for Windows 7 though. The laptop the the installation cd came with most likely has an OEM licence and is stuck with that laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

You may also need to add additional RAM module(s). I have a Dell Latitude D830, also running XP but it only has 1GB of RAM, which would not be sufficient to run Windows 7 or 8. Having weighed up all my options - cost of Windows 7 licence (if available) and RAM upgrade coupled with the fact that I was running MS Office 2003, I decided to purchase a new laptop with Windows 7 Pro.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Maidhci wrote: »
    You may also need to add additional RAM module(s). I have a Dell Latitude D830, also running XP but it only has 1GB of RAM, which would not be sufficient to run Windows 7 or 8. Having weighed up all my options - cost of Windows 7 licence (if available) and RAM upgrade coupled with the fact that I was running MS Office 2003, I decided to purchase a new laptop with Windows 7 Pro.

Agreed, was working with a Win 7 Dell netbook with only 1GB RAM at the weekend and it was borderline unusable! The Atom CPU not helping matters either!

Nick

Advertisement