Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excused from signing on for 1 year.

• 14-08-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few friends whom this has happened to now and friends of interns I have been mentoring, where they were called for a meeting with an SW inspector and a few days after have received a letter stating they are excused from signing on for one year. For people in the know is this some sort of trial scheme the SW are trying out or is it just due to the high numbers of people signing on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Could this be the reason,
    Most jobseekers aged 62 or over will be placed on an annual signing arrangement with their local social welfare office or Intreo centre (this means that they do not need to attend and sign on regularly). Also, most of them will be transferred to Electronic Fund Transfer payments so payment can be made directly into their bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Could this be the reason,

Could be, but none of them are over that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

I don't have to sign on till next march when my JSB runs out, i'm assuming its because I'm JSB and not JSA...I'm not going to ask why though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

sickle wrote: »
    I don't have to sign on till next march when my JSB runs out, i'm assuming its because I'm JSB and not JSA...I'm not going to ask why though!

There has been a shift towards prioritising the long term unemployed. People who sign onto JSB and are profiled as likely to leave the live register in the short to mid term are excused from signing for a set period, I didn't think it was for as long as a year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

My husband hasn't signed on since August 13. His reciept of post office paymentthe whole of last year and this year from he last signed on said his next signing on day was week 12 August 14. Then that week came and we didn't get a signing on card or anything.now it says next signing on day march 15. He's on jsa since '11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

My husband hasn't signed on since August 13. His reciept of post office paymentthe whole of last year and this year from he last signed on said his next signing on day was week 12 August 14. Then that week came and we didn't get a signing on card or anything.now it says next signing on day march 15. He's on jsa since '11

Is he over 62

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you're on a course or internship all you need is a letter saying so for to be excused and money paid into the bank.
    It's not new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Nope he's 34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If you're on a course or internship all you need is a letter saying so for to be excused and money paid into the bank.
    It's not new.

None of these guys are on schemes, just your basic €188 a week JSA and are all in their 20's and still get their payments in the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Meirleach

Xenji wrote: »
    I have a few friends whom this has happened to now and friends of interns I have been mentoring, where they were called for a meeting with an SW inspector and a few days after have received a letter stating they are excused from signing on for one year. For people in the know is this some sort of trial scheme the SW are trying out or is it just due to the high numbers of people signing on.

Instead of signing on every month, they'll be brought in every 2months or so for a brief interview asking about jobs and internships they've applied for. Recommeding courses relevent to the field they want to work in. And generally just checking that they are doing things and not sitting around all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is the signing on ANNUALLY for Age 62 upwards suspended at the Intreo as well as regular signing being suspended in the offices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

watty wrote: »
    Is the signing on ANNUALLY for Age 62 upwards suspended at the Intreo as well as regular signing being suspended in the offices?

All signing on is suspended.

Thanks. It just didn't seem clear if the notice was referring only to the regular weekly, the word "All" isn't used.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/66d22e-covid-19-deasp-information-for-employers-and-employees-pdf/#march-12

I'd have thought they'd have updated the "Next Signing date" on the Post Office receipt.

Hopefully life will be normal by April 2021!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I'm on jobseekers benefit and don't have to sign on until June anyway. Handy..

Why are they doing this tho? Surely that will encourage people to scam the system, for example if someone moves away for a year, and still claiming the benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Why are they doing this tho? Surely that will encourage people to scam the system, for example if someone moves away for a year, and still claiming the benefit.
    They’d rather be at the loss of the money then have people queueing at the SW to sign on risking spreading the virus all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Where would they move to when all flights are grounded? Are you aware of the situation outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

s1ippy wrote: »
    Where would they move to when all flights are grounded? Are you aware of the situation outside?

Lol, have you seen the world flight radar right now?

It's actually crazy how many flights are in the air as normal at the moment.

https://www.flightradar24.com/

Airports are open worldwide, you do know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Airports are open worldwide, you do know that?

My brother was working in Scotland and can't get home for Easter. They cancelled his flight and he couldn't get another so booked the boat. He then got an email saying it was cancelled too and they were carrying freight only.

However freight is hardly affected.
    Lots of passenger routes are closed.
    Even borders are closed to other than returning non-nationals.
    Some airports have closed.

Advertisement