Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is python used for?

Options
  • 14-08-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I've heard about python but haven't really heard what parts of the web it is used for. Can anyone help give an insight into it please?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I hope the following link provides an adequate over view of what you need/want to know:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebProgramming

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Used for a broad range of things, I use it to write firmware for switches/routers.

Commercial uses[edit]
    CCP hf uses Stackless Python in both its server and client side applications for its MMO Eve Online[4]
    Google uses Python for many tasks including the backends of web apps such as Google Groups, Gmail, and Google Maps, as well as for some of its search-engine internals [5]
    NASA is using Python to implement a CAD/CAE/PDM repository and model management, integration, and transformation system which will be the core infrastructure for its next-generation collaborative engineering environment[citation needed]. It is also the development language for OpenMDAO, a framework developed by NASA for solving multidisciplinary design optimization problems.
    reddit was originally written in Common Lisp, but was rewritten in Python in 2005[6]
    Yahoo! Groups uses Python "to maintain its discussion groups"[citation needed]
    YouTube uses Python "to produce maintainable features in record times, with a minimum of developers"[5]
    Enthought uses python as the main language for countless custom applications in Geophysics, Financial applications, Astrophysics, simulations for consumer product companies, ...
    EDF uses Python for their finite element solver Code Aster in combination with Fortran

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've used jython within open refine when tiding up data/files.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I've used jython within open refine when tiding up data/files.

If going as far as Jython, then several JEE compliant application servers use a variant for administrative scripting too (wsadmin for WebSphere, wlst for Weblogic, and recent versions of JBoss/Wildfly have had a similar thing too, to name just 3)

Advertisement