Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Kettle

Options
  • 15-08-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭

Very sad to hear this

http://waterfordarts.com/2014/08/14/red-kettle-theatre-company/
    Waterford Council has heard with regret that Red Kettle Theatre Company will enter liquidation. A note on the company’s Facebook page said the company will close this coming Friday (15th).

The note reads…“It is with heavy hearts that we close the doors to Red Kettle tomorrow on what has been an epic adventure. To everyone who has joined us on our journey, thank you. With every door that closes another opens and we ask you to bear with us here because the future looks bright and we will be back. See you soon, The Red Kettle Team”

Waterford Council is proud to have been involved with the theatre company over the past 29 years. In 2013 it aided the company’s move to Central Hall with a grant towards the venue rent which it repeated again this year. Also in 2013 it aided the company by loaning it Lighting, Sound and Staging equipment.

The Council notes that efforts are ongoing to secure the theatre company’s legacy. The Council will work to, hopefully, ensure the continuation of the former company’s valuable programmes for youth, adults and arts practitioners alike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

real shame, hopefully it will rise again. Always annoys me when i hear people saying 'f-all to see/do in town' when they really mean they are bored of going to the same 2 pubs. We all need to support the arts and especially local events like RK put on over the years, some absolutely amazing. Viibrant art scene = media coverage, great publicity for Waterford, plenty for us locals and visitors to see and do. you would think in a rainy place such as Ireland that people would be big into indoor stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Max Powers wrote: »
    real shame, hopefully it will rise again. Always annoys me when i hear people saying 'f-all to see/do in town' when they really mean they are bored of going to the same 2 pubs. We all need to support the arts and especially local events like RK put on over the years, some absolutely amazing. Viibrant art scene = media coverage, great publicity for Waterford, plenty for us locals and visitors to see and do. you would think in a rainy place such as Ireland that people would be big into indoor stuff.

You would but alot of people who had money, don't have it any more. As was said on Vincent Browne last night, they should get some local and national funding as others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Max Powers wrote: »

Yet another example of how Waterford is getting the scrapings of the barrel when it comes to government funding. You can’t really say that their financial problems were due to lack of local support until they get like for like funding at national level. From Mary Roche’s blog http://cllrmaryroche.blogspot.ie/

Wexford County Council had, in total, 7 grant allocations totalling €1,531,200.
    Limerick City & County had, in total, 13 grant allocations totalling €1,644,855 (not including City of Culture funding).
    Waterford City & County had, in total, 7 grant allocations totalling €600,335.
    Galway City & County had, in total, 46 grant allocations totalling €3,083,337.

Waterford could be better at supporting the arts for all you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

If it's losing money it deserves to close. Surely Tramore should have a theatre for the visitors and families each summer? That would make a profit without needing state aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tallcarrie

fiachr_a wrote: »
    If it's losing money it deserves to close. Surely Tramore should have a theatre for the visitors and families each summer? That would make a profit without needing state aid.

No it wouldn't - there isn't one significant regional theatre in this country that isn't in receipt of some sort of state aid - commercial theatres have to be of a certain size and in a large enough area to pull audiences day in, day out, year round to stay in business.

• Advertisement

Are you a former Eurovision TV presenter by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

The arts council obviously decided that it wasn't worthy of a grant anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

BBM77 wrote: »
    Limerick City & County had, in total, 13 grant allocations totalling €1,644,855 (not including City of Culture funding).

That list of grants on the face of it tells its own story. However it is very difficult to find a breakdown for these figures. For instance does it include the Spraoi funding? It certainly indicates how poorly we are regarded in terms of the Arts. Red Kettle ostensibly should be up there with Druid Theatre in Galway who received €762,000 this year according to the Arts Council and Macnas received €245,000. That represents more than the total Waterford grant.

Get local funding they say - how do you do that when our local economy is already on its knees.

Is this not something our politicians should be shouting about? Cllr. Mary Roche is virtually on a solo run here fair play to her. She was one of the founders of Red Kettle and was a regular on stage with them.

Our TDs are remarkably silent at present while our 29 year old Red Kettle Theatre Company is wound up.

What is the best solution? Personally I feel that Waterford needs either Red Kettle Theatre Company or something like it. If the situation with Red Kettle is beyond redemption, and it appears that way since it has gone into liquidation, then a new company should be formed with renewed vigour and an active programme. There is money for a company such as this, Red Kettle received over €145,000 last year, and perhaps we can find some leadership from the leading lights of the demised institution. Cllr Mary Roche said as much in the Irish Times article of August 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

The arts council obviously decided that it wasn't worthy of a grant anymore.

How do you come to that conclusion? How obvious is it that they thought it not worthy - have you seen their assessment? how does it compare to all the other applications? what criteria did they use? It would be helpful to know. The level of funding has been reduced to a non-viable level. This approach has been adopted by other Government Departments to drive out other community type projects.

The grant is essential but other income sources essential too - like paying punters, sponsorship, commercial activity. Ventures such as this are a community good - nobody is getting rich in that business.

Silverado wrote: »
    That list of grants on the face of it tells its own story. However it is very difficult to find a breakdown for these figures. For instance does it include the Spraoi funding? It certainly indicates how poorly we are regarded in terms of the Arts. Red Kettle ostensibly should be up there with Druid Theatre in Galway who received €762,000 this year according to the Arts Council and Macnas received €245,000. That represents more than the total Waterford grant.

Get local funding they say - how do you do that when our local economy is already on its knees.

Is this not something our politicians should be shouting about? Cllr. Mary Roche is virtually on a solo run here fair play to her. She was one of the founders of Red Kettle and was a regular on stage with them.

Our TDs are remarkably silent at present while our 29 year old Red Kettle Theatre Company is wound up.

What is the best solution? Personally I feel that Waterford needs either Red Kettle Theatre Company or something like it. If the situation with Red Kettle is beyond redemption, and it appears that way since it has gone into liquidation, then a new company should be formed with renewed vigour and an active programme. There is money for a company such as this, Red Kettle received over €145,000 last year, and perhaps we can find some leadership from the leading lights of the demised institution. Cllr Mary Roche said as much in the Irish Times article of August 15.

Agreed. Like for like Waterford is just not being treated equally by the Irish state. This is just the latest example. Off topic I know but part of the same problem in my opinion, I’m writing this on a Saturday evening. If I was to get a heart attack the Irish state deems that as a Waterford person I am not entitled to cardiac care outside of “normal hours” in Waterford. I would have to be flown to Cork, its beyond ridiculous. Waterford people need to wake up to these facts and stop this it’s our fault because we suck attitude. Its only three Waterford peoples fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

I, and I imagine many other people, have very fond memories of Red Kettle and it was probably better for everyone if a large number of kids enjoyed themselves and learnt how to speak in public rather than give them nothing to do.

It mightn't have been a world class theatre it was world class fun, and it was d#mn good at producing enjoyable productions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yet another example of how Waterford is getting the scrapings of the barrel when it comes to government funding. You can’t really say that their financial problems were due to lack of local support until they get like for like funding at national level. From Mary Roche’s blog http://cllrmaryroche.blogspot.ie/

Waterford could be better at supporting the arts for all you know.

Does Mary include how many applications were made and for how much each? Or is it just the after stats?
    Silverado wrote: »

Comments on Facebook;
    V disappointing news re Red Kettle Theatre Waterford - will take the matter up with Minister for Arts Heather Humphries to see if anything can be done to help save it

He didn't respond to comments though.

None on Twitter that I can see from Ciara Conway and we aren't friends on Facebook :( Likewise for John Halligan and John Deasy isn't on Facebook.
    Agreed. Like for like Waterford is just not being treated equally by the Irish state. This is just the latest example. Off topic I know but part of the same problem in my opinion, I’m writing this on a Saturday evening. If I was to get a heart attack the Irish state deems that as a Waterford person I am not entitled to cardiac care outside of “normal hours” in Waterford. I would have to be flown to Cork, its beyond ridiculous. Waterford people need to wake up to these facts and stop this it’s our fault because we suck attitude. Its only three Waterford peoples fault.

I'd love to see how much we applied for and how many grants went in.

Sully wrote: »
    Does Mary include how many applications were made and for how much each? Or is it just the after stats?

Comments on Facebook;

He didn't respond to comments though.

None on Twitter that I can see from Ciara Conway and we aren't friends on Facebook :( Likewise for John Halligan and John Deasy isn't on Facebook.

I'd love to see how much we applied for and how many grants went in.

The number of grants applied for is not of much relevance. If there was equality and fairness in the grant allocations there would not be such a disparity between totals for an equal number of grants approved.
    Druid Theatre in Galway alone received €762,000.

You can spin it whatever way you want but these figures do not show equality and fairness in the grant allocations.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The number of grants applied for is not of much relevance. If there was equality and fairness in the grant allocations there would not be such a disparity between totals for an equal number of grants approved.

You can spin it whatever way you want but these figures do not show equality and fairness in the grant allocations.

You can't throw figures out there and hope they stick.

If Waterford had only 7 requests and Galway had 46 than you can't shout from the rooftops that Waterford is being robbed and Galway gets everything. If Waterford sent 46 requests and only got 7 then we can ask questions. You need to apply to get a grant, it doesn't just come from thin air. Likewise, maybe Red Kettle didn't seek a grant or maybe they didn't get what they looked for etc?

You can't just look at figures of grants provided without knowing how many applications went in. That's political spin at it's greatest. Once we have the full facts, we can ask questions.

Sully wrote: »
    You can't throw figures out there and hope they stick.

If Waterford had only 7 requests and Galway had 46 than you can't shout from the rooftops that Waterford is being robbed and Galway gets everything. If Waterford sent 46 requests and only got 7 then we can ask questions. You need to apply to get a grant, it doesn't just come from thin air. Likewise, maybe Red Kettle didn't seek a grant or maybe they didn't get what they looked for etc?

You can't just look at figures of grants provided without knowing how many applications went in. That's political spin at it's greatest. Once we have the full facts, we can ask questions.

Yeah ignore the figures that don’t suit your argument. No mention of Wexford getting the same number of grants but more than double the money.

Yeah ignore the figures that don’t suit your argument. No mention of Wexford getting the same number of grants but more than double the money.

I'm not ignoring the figures. The figures only tell one side of the story, and so far it appears purely for political gain. We don't know how many grants went in and we don't know how much they looked for. We don't know why the funding that was allocated was allocated the way it was either. For all we know, Waterford could have been given the exact amount of money they sought.

All I am calling for is the other figures. And they may very well prove damning and I for one won't hold back questioning why.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

The breakdown for Waterford appears to be the following:

Spraoi €237,000
    Garter Lane theatre €170,000,
    The Healing Arts Trust €90,000,
    The Theatre Royal Society €80,000,
    The Youth Arts Trust €47,5000,
    Multi Disciplinary Arts €11,000.

The interesting point to note is that all the grants have gone to Waterford City Council and none to the Co. Council. I presume that since they were about to merge before the grants were allocated then the City applied for them all.

Another useful point to note from the http://www.artscouncil.ie site are the number and diversity of the grants available. It brings me back to my point that since the Red Kettle is no more then we need another Theatre Company to step into its place. The funding seems to be available and this can create employment of a type in Waterford.

Are there any budding theatre companies out there in Waterford who would step up to the plate?

Why should the Government help out? If they're any good they should make a profit. Once a theatre company is going for several years it shouldn't qualify for a grant? How much of their downfall is due to poor management and accounting practice rather than lack of public funding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Why should the Government help out? If they're any good they should make a profit. Once a theatre company is going for several years it shouldn't qualify for a grant? How much of their downfall is due to poor management and accounting practice rather than lack of public funding?

I don't agree with your first point but your second point definitely merits an answer, some people get so caught up in things they don't know their arts from their elbow.

After a bad week for the arts in Waterford, Ireland's oldest city is fighting back with good news in the shape of a wonderful new production of The Crucible by Arthur Miller, directed by Jim Nolan. Ironically, this is the first time this seminal work has been produced in Waterford since Red Kettle Theatre Company's production some 19 years ago, also directed by Nolan. This time the cast includes 24 of Waterford's finest young actors from Waterford Youth Arts, coming together for only seven performances as part of Garter Lane Arts Centre's 30th anniversary celebrations and Waterford 1100.

The Crucible by Arthur Miller, Garter Lane Theatre, Sat 23 - Sat 30 August, 7.30pm, Early Bird Tickets from €11 on 051-855038 or garterlane.ie

• Advertisement

Ok - how many of you keyboard warriors have gone to see the Red Kettlers of the future in The Crucible? You've four more chances including tonight at 7.30pm at Garter Lane Theatre and you'll be blown away by their talent, commitment and enthusiasm - what are you waiting for? 051-855038 or garterlane.ie

Tallcarrie wrote: »
    Ok - how many of you keyboard warriors have gone to see the Red Kettlers of the future in The Crucible? You've four more chances including tonight at 7.30pm at Garter Lane Theatre and you'll be blown away by their talent, commitment and enthusiasm - what are you waiting for? 051-855038 or garterlane.ie

Enough with the advertising, please.

Advertisement