Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1; Repeating a College Year

Options
  • 15-08-2014 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there any restriction to going on another J1 if I have to repeat the same college year again?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You would have to confirm with a J1 company, but if you still fall within the J1 requirements then there shouldn't be any issues. Are you looking to partake in the summer J1 again? Or considering the 1 year J1?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Do you need to goto University to do this?

I'm just finished secondary school and have alright A level results. I stupidly took a gap year but cannot find any jobs.. I live in the countryside and there is nothing here.

I see I can do the work Canada thing but I would rather not visit that country after the experiences I had. I am just back from a second trip for five weeks from America and I loved it!

I don't know where to go to get into this kind of thing? Can I not do this if I am not in uni?

Is there any other way to goto the usa for a year as a non-uni student?(other than volunteering and summer camps). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

lil_lisa wrote: »
    You would have to confirm with a J1 company, but if you still fall within the J1 requirements then there shouldn't be any issues. Are you looking to partake in the summer J1 again? Or considering the 1 year J1?

Thanks for that.. Just sent an email to USIT - hopefully they will get back to me.

I'm looking to do the Summer J1 again.

owenc wrote: »
    Do you need to goto University to do this?

I'm just finished secondary school and have alright A level results. I stupidly took a gap year but cannot find any jobs.. I live in the countryside and there is nothing here.

I see I can do the work Canada thing but I would rather not visit that country after the experiences I had. I am just back from a second trip for five weeks from America and I loved it!

I don't know where to go to get into this kind of thing? Can I not do this if I am not in uni?

Is there any other way to goto the usa for a year as a non-uni student?(other than volunteering and summer camps). Thanks.

Welcome to the Abyss that is US Visas! -- short answer to your question: yes, you have to go to College / University to do a J1 and it must be on a full time basis.

There are other options available to you as a student but I think you must be enrolled in full time college..

Check out: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english.html - for the list of visas available

Welcome to the Abyss that is US Visas! -- short answer to your question: yes, you have to go to College / University to do a J1 and it must be on a full time basis.

There are other options available to you as a student but I think you must be enrolled in full time college..

Check out: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english.html - for the list of visas available

Well I did sign up for As level Maths but its only on one night a week lol.

Would that count?

• Advertisement

What about the summer work travel visa? Can you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What about the summer work travel visa? Can you do that?

No such thing exists.

Third level students can go to the States for the summer on a J1 visa. You have to be enrolled in full time third level education to get it.

So if I sign up for a year or two year course would I be able to do it?

Anyone that has done the summer work travel do you stay in shared accomodation or can you get your own? What about pay?

Anyone that has done the summer work travel do you stay in shared accomodation or can you get your own? What about pay?

https://www.j1online.ie/how-to-apply/j1-visa-requirements

you have to arrange it all yourself.. you have to have proof of funds and in some cases already have a job pre-arranged (depending on where you live) -- pay is totally dependent on who/what you work for..

I'll look into this over next week but it sounds like an interesting prospect and something that could suit me :) )

• Advertisement

It has to be a full time course that ultimately will lead to a degree, or higher qualification. It has to be of at least a two year duration. You also have to physically attend the college/university. You can't just sign up for the course and leave it at that.

I know theres two year courses here.

There may be, but do they lead to a degree?

I really don't know. I haven't looked into it as its only August and I haven't even started applying for UNI yet.

Advertisement