Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions about the gym(s)

Options
  • 15-08-2014 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

I've been reading up on here trying to get as much info as I can about the gyms in UCD, but a lot of the information is outdated or doesn't address some questions. It's looking like I'll be starting in UCD come September, and hope to use the gym while there.

A few questions I have:
    1. Does the normal gym (Sport and fitness gym) only have cardio equipment or does it also have free weights. Also, does it have treadmills.
    2. What are the hours students can use the sport and fitness gym and the performance gym.
    3. What is the best time of day to go to the gym to avoid huge crowds.
    4. Which gym tends to be busier, the sport and fitness gym or the performance gym

Most of what I want to do is strength training with a little bit of cardio so I'm just trying to figure out what's the best way to go with the gyms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

Aspiring wrote: »
    I've been reading up on here trying to get as much info as I can about the gyms in UCD, but a lot of the information is outdated or doesn't address some questions. It's looking like I'll be starting in UCD come September, and hope to use the gym while there.

A few questions I have:
    1. Does the normal gym (Sport and fitness gym) only have cardio equipment or does it also have free weights. Also, does it have treadmills.
    2. What are the hours students can use the sport and fitness gym and the performance gym.
    4. Which gym tends to be busier, the sport and fitness gym or the performance gym

Most of what I want to do is strength training with a little bit of cardio so I'm just trying to figure out what's the best way to go with the gyms.

1. Both gyms have free weights and cardio equipment.

2. Not fully sure (someone correct me if im wrong) but I think the sports gym doesn't admit students from 17:30 until I think around 21:00 and I think the performance gym always lets students in - both are really busy later in the day so I don't go then.

3. Mornings, otherwise the gym is packed.

4. Both seem to be equally busy, but performance gym would have more weight lifitng equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

A few questions I have:

1) All gyms have free weights and treadmills plus a load of other cardio equipment. The selection of free weights in the performance gym is better.

2) Health & Fitness opens at 6 am, Performance gym opens at 12pm. Students can't use the Health & Fitness gym from 6 - 8pm I think but can use the Performance gym during this time.

3) Early. If you want to use the Health & Fitness get in there in the morning. If you have a 9am lecture get out of bed an hour earlier and get there at 8, otherwise you'll be waiting around to use equipment. Alternatively you can go into the performance gym at 12 when it opens and it wont be too bad then but it fills up quickly.

4) Both get very busy, I prefer the performance gym as it's larger and has a better selection of equipment. If you join a sports club in college and compete for them you'll get access to the Team gym which is pretty good and normally quiet throughout the day as long as staff are enforcing club members only (can often be lax on it which is very annoying). If a team has it booked for training (normally in the evenings after 6) the coaches often wont let you use it at that time unless you compete for that club as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

A few questions I have:

I'd advise you to join a sports team that gets to use the team gym which is a third gym that is available. The team gym has a lot of good strength and muscle building equipment and is used far less than the other two gyms.

<OFFENSIVE CONTENT REMOVED>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Thanks for all of the answers. If I'm going to the gym it'll be as early as possible anyway. I do play GAA but I wasn't planning on playing for UCD. However, if it would grant me access to this team gym it could be worth it :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

Thanks for all of the answers. If I'm going to the gym it'll be as early as possible anyway. I do play GAA but I wasn't planning on playing for UCD. However, if it would grant me access to this team gym it could be worth it :rolleyes:.

Out of interest, why not play for UCD?

• Advertisement

Out of interest, why not play for UCD?

Just the time it'd take up I suppose.

Just the time it'd take up I suppose.

Thats fair enough, the lads over the teams are fairly accommodating though so Id stick your head in during Freshers week anyway. It was well worth signing up this year imo, even if it was just having the craic on the thirds :D

Thats fair enough, the lads over the teams are fairly accommodating though so Id stick your head in during Freshers week anyway. It was well worth signing up this year imo, even if it was just having the craic on the thirds :D

Maybe sure :) I may wait and see what the workload of my course is like first tho. Another reason I wasn't really planning on playing is because I was planning on building up strength and fitness over the Autumn/Winter in the gym then go back playing club GAA in the spring, and I was worried any sport would cut into recovery time. But sure I'll wait and see :D

Ah yeah, you know yourself anyway lad! Ypu wont be stuck for something to do anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

The gym seems pretty packed in the evenings now :( I thought students could not use it after 5pm (and had to use the performance gym) but they seem to be using the gym whenever I am there at half 5 or 6?? :confused:

• Advertisement

The gym seems pretty packed in the evenings now :( I thought students could not use it after 5pm (and had to use the performance gym) but they seem to be using the gym whenever I am there at half 5 or 6?? :confused:

Maybe its because the performance gym was too busy or something so they lifted the ban (unlikely). Went in there yesterday and it seemed every piece of equipment in the place was in use haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Another sports centre related question... is there any good time to go during the day to swim a few lengths in peace or is it always pretty crowded?

The gym is absolutely jammed these days :( Could not even find a spot to stretch in this evening - Wondering if the performance gym is any quieter at all?

The gym is absolutely jammed these days :( Could not even find a spot to stretch in this evening - Wondering if the performance gym is any quieter at all?

Depends when you go, also depends on what you want to do in the gym.

Free weights mainly - early evening or lunchtime (12:30-1:30ish)
    Thanks!

Thanks!

The performance gym is definitely better for free weights imo. I've never been at that time tho so I couldn't be sure. I go in the evening time and it'd be rare that everything would be in use, and that'd when it's at its busiest. I'd say it'd be quieter at the time you mentioned, pop in and have a look to see but I'd say it'd be grand. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Thanks!

I've been to the gym at a load of different times and I'd say the times you mentioned are the busiest. Early morning or late evening seem to be better in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

I've been to the gym at a load of different times and I'd say the times you mentioned are the busiest. Early morning or late evening seem to be better in my experience.
    +1. Friday afternoons are sometimes quiet too for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

malibu4u wrote: »
    +1. Friday afternoons are sometimes quiet too for some bizarre reason.

I think it's because most students head home for the weekend. Campus always seems dead on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hey guys
    Just wondering if anyone knows if staff can use the Performance (not the fancy one with the pool!) gym for free or do you need to be a member?

• Advertisement
Advertisement