Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non resident Bank Account?

Options
  • 15-08-2014 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am an Irish Passport holder and am currently a resident of the UAE. I am in the process of buying a property in Donegal and I need to open a local bank account. Is it possible to do this from overseas? Or if not what is the process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why do you need an Irish bank account? For what purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Presumably to service utility bills and whatnot. OP it will be difficult if not impossible to open an irish account remotely. Another eurozone account will be just as able to service direct debits etc. though so you shouldn't limit yourself to irish accounts.

If you're taking out a mortgage for the property then that bank may accommodate you wrt the current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Damian Smyth

Yes I want to pay all local costs from a local bank. I guess I will need to do this in person next time I am there. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yes I want to pay all local costs from a local bank. I guess I will need to do this in person next time I am there. Thanks anyway.

That might not even work. It is not simple to open an account if you do not have local proof of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I was able to open a BoI account with Irish passport and foreign utility bills. I don't think it'll be a problem but might have to try a couple of branches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement