Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much to offer childminder for minding a two and a half year old and an 11 month

Options
  • 15-08-2014 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

We are currently looking into getting a childminder for our two boys as I'm back to work full time in the coming months. We had ds1 in creche when he was younger but he was sick a lot and I would prefer the home from home environment for them. However I have no idea how to work out the cost and want to have some framework in my mind before we meet with people.

If I calculate it as €10 an hour then it would be €110 a day working out at over €2300 a month. We cannot afford this and this seems quite a lot seeing as we have to earn double this to pay it (if that makes sense). As we are looking for someone in their own home then we won't be paying prsi etc.

I would appreciate any advice in this area as I don't want to scrimp on my childminding service but cannot afford to pay above the odds. We had put aside two grand a month for childminding and will have to go to a creche if it's too expensive to use a childminder. We are in south county dublin.

Comments

My friend was in the same situation and I'm afraid €10 an hour was what she paid.
    Yes it's expensive, having more than one child minded works out expensive. I guess that's why so many parents quit work or go part time after their second arrives.

The upshot is that she got a really good minder, who stayed with them for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

There have been loads of similar posts on this lately, you should have a read through them .

I think the general consensus is about €7 or €8 an hour. You don't have to pay minimum wage as they are free to mind other children also and to do their own house work and chores.

If you look on the childminding websites or sites such as rollercoaster.ie or schooldays.ie there is lots of information on what to pay/ charge, contracts, etc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends where you are based.

For example -
    I would charge 800 for 1 and (around)1300 for 2.(per month)
    Fully insured and Garda vetted.

I do not charge by the hour but like to be paid the same 12 months a year with bank holidays off and 2/3 weeks in the summer.
    I either organise other childcare or cover the cost if I am sick.
    I also feed them and bring them on outings and cover the costs.

www.childminding.ie might be able to help.

Advertisement