Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving baby to own room

Options
  • 15-08-2014 8:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering at what age did you move your baby/toddler to its own separate room ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Our first was about 13 months before we moved her to her own room.

Our second child was about 8 months when he got moved as he was keeping us up all night.

The sooner the better I'd say. As they get used to being in the same room as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

We moved our first baby to her own room at 3 months, which with hindsight I felt was a bit too soon. We moved our second baby to her own room at about seven months. One benefit of moving them in early is that they get used to it very quickly, the older they are the cuter they are as to what is happening. What age is your baby now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Both our 4 YO and our 2 YO were moved into their own room at 6 months. We have a new born now and he will be moving in at 6 months also to his own room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

3 weeks. Sleeping 8-12hours since. The earlier the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

We moved our little fella into his own room and big cot at 15 weeks and it was the best decision we ever made, i was really nervous and was awake checking on him for the first week, he slept much better in his own room and we have never had any issues with him going down at bed time (with the exception of the first night we moved house and when he is unwell) other than that bedtime is really easy! He's 17mths now. Touch wood it stays like this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Our first was 9 months.. I just couldn't let go and he didn't sleep all night till 7 months old.. Second was 8 weeks as she slept all night from 3 weeks and we were annoying her so now we all get great sleep

Think its when your comfortable which happens quicker with second baby I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Around four months, I think. But should probably have been sooner.

If you're not breastfeeding, I think the earlier you move them, the better! Both you and they will sleep much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

1st was 6months all going well will move our youngest in around the same time too

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

At 7 months we moved him to his own room, but at 2 years old today he spends most nights in our bed but thats a
    whole different story :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thanks for all the replies. Was just initially looking for some feelers as to when people moved baby out.

jaysus, some big differences there, from very young at 3 weeks to 13 months - all over the shop really :)

this is the situation im in, baby is 8 1/2 months old and still in the room with us. ( its our first baby )

problem is we live in an apartment and the second bedroom is not ideal for baby, it is small enough, has a condenser drier in there, office, couch etc etc - so not a great environment. But we are looking for a house

Anyway, if we really wanted too, we could sort the second bedroom and get it ready for baby.

The other problem is that herself does not want to really let him go yet and in to his own room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks for all the replies. Was just initially looking for some feelers as to when people moved baby in.

jaysus, some big differences there, from very young at 3 weeks to 13 months - all over the shop really :)

this is the situation im in, baby is 8 1/2 months old and still in the room with us. ( its our first baby )

problem is we live in an apartment and the second bedroom is not ideal for baby, it is small enough, has a condenser drier in there, office, couch etc etc - so not a great environment. But we are looking for a house

Anyway, if we really wanted too, we could sort the second bedroom and get it ready for baby.

The other problem is that herself does not want to really let him go yet and in to his own room.

This happened a friend of mine. She didnt want to put him into his own room... Now he's 3 and they've been trying to get him in his own room the past couple years with no luck. He just won't settle, and will cry and cry till he's allowed back in to their room.

I moved both my babies out around 4 months to avoid this. Also, I found they were keeping us awake and vice versa. I'm still breastfeeding but go to my 5 months old room when she wakes during the night to feed her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We moved ours in at 13 weeks as he was sleeping through the night and the phn said it would be ok. We had him in a small crib in our room and his arms had outgrown it so he was sleeping with them through the rungs and every time he moved in his sleep, they would hit the rungs and wake him up. We considered bringing the cotbed into our room but that would have meant a new transition to cotbed and then another transition when we finally moved the cotbed into the nursery so we just bit the bullet and put him into the nursery. He loved it from day 1 and slept a lot sounder with no bustle from us around him. We used the angelcare monitor with motion sensor pad so that gave us a lot of peace of mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I think it depends on the baby really. We moved our little guy at 9 weeks. I'm from the states and over there the baby for the most part goes straight away in their own room(well from the people i know and my own family at least I can't speak for everyone) He still woke up plenty but at this stage it was every 4 hours and we took it in turns and we had a rocker in his room so it was no hassle for us.
    we have never had an issue with him sleeping in his room at night and only has come into bed with us twice when sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

15 months here and she went straight into a bed from ours :) will move no 2 about the 12 ish month mark too she's 5 months... Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to moving them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

5 months and he started to sleep better immediately. I thought I'd find it hard as I liked the comfort of being able to check he was ok but he started sleeping longer stretches and we were both way more rested because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

8 or 9 months I think it was here. Probably would have been 6 months except that the baby's room is upstairs and our room is downstairs. My wife wanted to hold on for a year, but we (correctly) theorised that we were disturbing her sleep (snoring, coughing, alarms going off, etc), so moved her into her own room.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

12 months,12 months,6 months and baba is my last so maybe never;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

6 months and 12 months. The second one was a terrible sleeper and as she'd have to share with her brother we held out until she was sleeping a bit better.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

about 11 weeks.

as soon as he outgrew the moses basket, he was off to his own room and cot.

everyone slept better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

First was about 11/12 weeks. Was sleeping through but as others have said we were all disturbing each other. Second was about 6 weeks. He's such a noisey sleeper but also very light sleeper. It meant he went to bed about 7.30. I woke him whem i went to bed the OH woke him when he went to bed then we were all woken for night feed.
    So glad i done it. But he still wakes for the soother every night and numerous times ive concidered moving him back in but no point now at 4.5 mnths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm due my first at the start of October and plan on having the baby in its own room from the start. I might change my mind on this and have the little one in its Moses basket with us for the first few weeks depending on how things go but the way I look at it is we don't exactly live in a mansion so the baby is just across the landing. We have a monitor too so all alerts and that business will be taken care of too.
    My mum never had any of us in her room (well after starting out with my oldest sister in her room but she got moved pretty quickly as my Mam never slept properly as she was always fussing at the baby who was grand) and we all turned out pretty fine.

Advertisement