Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice dog behaviour changed

• 15-08-2014 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Currently having 2 issues with a terrier we rescued 2 years ago. He is about 4, small wire haired terrier. We ave 2 other dogs, 11y/o female greyhound & 6 y/ male spaniel /setter mix. All get on well, We also have hens & they roam free in the garden, always have done.

We recently got hen house number 3 & when the hens went in to lay, the terrier would go ballistic and has in the past week grabbed 2 hens trying to kill them. I have no idea why the sudden change and am afraid to let him out now when the hens are out. We have taken to trying to train him, walk him by on a lead, trying to distract his attention, but he still has this fascination. I was thinking is it possible to maybe get someone in to help with this behaviour as i just cannot trust him.

when he is let out has a secret way out of the garden and when I go to bring him back he treats it like a game and runs away waiting for me to chase him. Up to now I would get in my car and go collect him, he would jump into the car and loved it, again until recently. Now I get frustrated as he could get killed on the road, but I leave the gate open and he eventually comes home but this is not a solution. Every time he finds a way out, we block it, he finds another.

Yes I know it's not good him getting out, thank god there are no animals for him to chase.

Our routine changed last month and usually there is someone home all day. It's not like he is being left alone. Himself walks him, we play with him, give them all attention, buy toys every month,

What can I do to solve all or any of my issues, I am not keen to lock up the hens, but if it's got to be done I will have no other choice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Where are you based OP? Emmaline from http://citizencanineireland.com is fantastic AND there was photos of a training class on her FB page with one of the "lessons" being to teach the dogs to leave hens alone! I had her out to my house (for my dog's anxiety) and she was fantastic - really helpful and not judgemental at all and best of all we've made huge progress with him.

Advertisement