Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual adapter WIN7

Options
  • 15-08-2014 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

Just looking for some help.

We use software to configure cisco equipment. This is done through IP address via UTP cable connected directly from laptop to device. All devices come in the same address range 192.168.0.1 /24, no default GW assigned.

So at the moment, to connect I change my adapter settings to an IP address with in the 192.168.0.1 /24, I remain connected to corp network through WIFI.

So my question, is there any way for me to set up a virtual nic port on my WIN7 laptop, and have that within the 192.168.0.1 /24 range, and leave my physical port on 'obtain address automatically'
    The devices I am working on have no DHCP.
    Once we have configured the devices with a new IP address, we lose connection and I need to change the adapter settings again.

As company policy, I need to leave UAC on, so this becomes very tiresome.
    I can I imagine I have left alot of detail out, so please feel free to ask questions.

I have tried MS loopback, and bridged this to my physical port, bu they lose all IP settings once bridged.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had to do similar things in the past and used a couple of 1 line batch files to switch the Ethernet adapter settings back and forth between a static IP and DHCP. The command to use is 'netsh', just enter 'netsh /?' at a command prompt and it will give you all the options, or just Google it.

For example in your case ...

netsh int ip set address "local area connection" static 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

and

netsh int ip set address "local area connection" dhcp

Replace "local area connection" with whatever your Ethernet adapter is called in Network Connections screen in the Control Panel if necessary. You still have to deal with UAC though, but if you just put the two batch files on your desktop, at least you won't have to wade through all the menus each time.

Alternatively, does new Cisco gear still come with serial console ports? That's what I used to use to configure new stuff out of the box back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Thanks Alun, should speed things up with batch file. All other equipment is done through console router. No serial port available on this I'm afraid.

Nabber wrote: »
    Thanks Alun, should speed things up with batch file. All other equipment is done through console router. No serial port available on this I'm afraid.
    That's interesting, I'd be surprised if they did away with them altogether, very handy as an access of last resort. What devices are they out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Cisco 15454-M6

Nabber wrote: »
    Cisco 15454-M6
    Interesting, pretty high end gear!

It has the look though of something Cisco bought / acquired from someone else and rebadged, so that may explain the lack of the standard Cisco console port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Another 2 ways of achieving this.

In your LAN Properties/IPv4/ click on 'alternate configuration' and give yourself a fixed IP in the 192.168.0.0 range but leave the 'general' tab at DHCP. Also give it default /24 subnet mask but no gateway.

Another way would be to get a USB to LAN adaptor and use that each time specifically for the cisco connections.

Advertisement