Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

digitaldr wrote: »
    Yeah bezel size will be crucial. I take your point about screen size AND QHD although some G3 owners would be to differ - never seen one myself so can't comment. At the risk of sounding senior I can't see a 5.9 inch phone appealing to a lot of women :)

well the main reason phablets have kicked off so big is because of the Asian market, and not to be racist or anything but id presume that Asian people have smaller hands than westerners, i cant wait to see such a glorious screen tbh, will be a beauty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I am so very conflicted on what to think about this. 5.9 is absolutely massive for a screen size, even Samsung don't really do that very often. There's a 6" Nokia 1320 I've used which felt enormous in my hands.

Maybe they'll drop two devices, similar to Apple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I had the Nokia 1520 the screen size didn't bother me but the lack of apps did,anyone have idea of price?

I had the Nokia 1520 the screen size didn't bother me but the lack of apps did,anyone have idea of price?

At a guess, maybe around €400 going by previous Nexus devices. Google tend to sell them pretty cheap in comparison.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    At a guess, maybe around €400 going by previous Nexus devices. Google tend to sell them pretty cheap in comparison.

Yep that's it decided 400/450 and I'm buying one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Those bezels look very small indeed. You could squeeze a 5.9 screen into a footprint only a tiny bit bigger than current i6.

(the 1+ and i6 use the same screen if you didn't know)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I'm very keen to see how the Nexus 6 shapes up. Had my One M7 for a good while now and the only other phone that interests me right now (apart from M8 but I'd rather wait till M9) is the G3 but the reports of random shut downs, stuttering and washed out colours is off putting. I could be tempted to go with the N6 rather than waiting for HTCs M8 successor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Rumours really picking up pace now that the Nexus 6,9 and L will be announced today. Apparently the Nexus 5,7 and 10 have been set to sold out in US play store so might even go on sale/pre-order today? I have a bad feeling that Ireland is considered a secondary market and it won't be available for purchase in the Irish play store until a week or two after the big markets :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Rumours really picking up pace now that the Nexus 6,9 and L will be announced today. Apparently the Nexus 5,7 and 10 have been set to sold out in US play store so might even go on sale/pre-order today? I have a bad feeling that Ireland is considered a secondary market and it won't be available for purchase in the Irish play store until a week or two after the big markets :(

It might not mean much but the Android Wear watches were available to us from day one so we can be hopeful it'll be the same for the phone.

I think we might be tied in with the UK store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Relieved if they are tbh as I was starting to wonder if Id jumped too soon buying the OnePlus for €350 but Id never pay those prices for a phone so that's that settled, especially when it will probably be indistinguishable performance wise in everyday use. 5.5" is as big as you can go comfortably in real world use imo aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Ouch,

If those prices hold true, that's a big step away from traditional Nexus pricing.
    €600 puts it in the same SIM free bracket as Notes, G2/G3 and even iPhones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Think I'll be hanging onto my n4 for a while longer if that's the prices they'll be selling at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Maybe the play store prices are cheaper.

• Advertisement

550/600 is steep, might have to wait and buy second hand a few weeks after.
    I would pay 500 at a push for new ,I usually sell them on when buying a new one so at 500 this is only choosing 150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

If that is the price of the new Nexus 6/X phone it will be a no go for me. Will buy the 1+ instead. I currently use a Note II and want to stick to a similar size phone.

Having (unfortunately) worked in retail, when stock first comes in, it can come in at a random price point. It's then adjusted once they're able to sell it.

Sacramento wrote: »
    Having (unfortunately) worked in retail, when stock first comes in, it can come in at a random price point. It's then adjusted once they're able to sell it.

I know when we got the HTC One M8 in first of all it was priced at €699.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Accessories up on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

They're basing these accessories off of a mock up?

As Gordon Ramsay would say: "Fuck me!"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Looks absolutely beautiful in fairness. Now just have to decide if I want a phone that big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭mcw92

$650 sadly.
    Link

Also annouced a 8.9" tablet for $399, and a apple tv type player for $99, chrome cast built in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

mcw92 wrote: »
    $650 sadly.
    Link

Also annouced a 8.9" tablet for $399, and a apple tv type player for $99, chrome cast built in as well.

Yeah so likely €650 going by previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads am I reading this right?
    A 13 mp front facing camera?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lads am I reading this right?
    A 13 mp front facing camera?
    2MP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Thought the whole idea of nexus was that they were cheaper than the other high end devices.

My wife would kill me if I bought another phone, but if I was looking to pick one up, it would definitely be this. It will be expensive, but it is a proper flagship. I think Samsung Note 4 sales are going to take a bit of a knock - this for me looks the better device.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Thought the whole idea of nexus was that they were cheaper than the other high end devices.
    the purpose of the Nexus series is to give a pure Android experience. The Nexus 4 and 5 were cheap, but before that the likes of the Samung Galaxy Nexus and devices before it - those were $600 when initially sold.

• Advertisement

Lads this phone is an absolute beast.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Nexus line previously skimped on hardware to allow a low price point. This phone is an absolute beast in terms of specs.

Nexus phones have been development phones at an affordable price.

This phone is a proper consumer device, I hope they market it correctly.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

Nexus phones have been development phones at an affordable price.

This phone is a proper consumer device, I hope they market it correctly.

Googles marketing strategy in the past has been farcical,but tbf they seem to be getting their act together in that dept.

I think I'd rather a Note 4 at that price, similar size but you get all of the features with the stylus as well.

Ah well, I'll stick with my Nexus 5 until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Yeah those prices are way off. I was hoping for something less than 500. I had a feeling due to the rumor size of 5.9" that it wouldn't start at 350. But now they're competing in a different market and I refuse to sign a contract with any carrier, and paying 600 for a phone is just silliness for people like me who use a desktop the majority of the time, but for others it might be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I love big screens and that phone is the sexiest thing I have ever seen so it's bye bye M7 hello N6 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Dayum, seems a crazy price. I can't justify that kind of outlay for a phone.

And I just sold my N5 to make way for it, feck :pac:

Google seem to have changed strategy - no longer relatively cheap devices

"Mr. Pichai said the goal of Nexus products is not to sell lots of devices, but to provide a “roadmap” to help other Android device makers, such as Samsung Electronics Co. , develop similar products."

the tablet announced is pricey also at $399.

the set-top box is only $99 but that is a device for selling netflix type services from google. looks like an ouya done correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Disappointed with the price. My Nexus 4 is still going strong thankfully. No need to update really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

google obviously sick of losing money on their phones. they're more of a charity than a company sometimes. i wonder will they actually market this phone to normal people this time.

tempted to pick it up but that'll be 3 phones in the past 12 months. nexus 4, nexus5 and oneplusone

The fast battery charge looks class 15 mins for 6 hours savage.
    Very tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, my N4 is struggling, have to charge it twice a day. Was hoping for a smaller device and the N5 is one year old. Thought they might at least update it with newer internals. For me it's stock or nothing, hate those crappy ui's and delayed releases of other manufacturers. I'll play around with the iPhone 6 plus for the next week or 2 and see if I can get used to the size, they are almost identical.

People saying its expensive but I didn't think they had announced pricing :confused:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

People saying its expensive but I didn't think they had announced pricing :confused:

It is on Motorola's official blog
    Nexus 6 will be available for pre-order through the Google Play Store in late October starting at $649.

Here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Funny no word on screen type oled/LCD? The Nexus 9 is LCD but no mention of the res!

Pre orders starting October 29th apparently.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/official-t2906481

http://www.motorola.com/us/Nexus-6/nexus-6-motorola-us.html

OS
    Android™ 5.0, ®

Screen
    5.96” 2560 x 1440 QHD AMOLED display (493 ppi)
    16:9 aspect ratio
    Gorilla Glass 3

Rear Camera
    13 MP with optical image stabilisation
    Dual LED ring flash
    f/2.0 aperture
    4K video capture at 30fps
    Front Camera
    2 MP
    HD Video Conferencing

Size
    82.98 mm x 159.26 mm x 10.06 mm

Weight
    184 g

Colour
    Midnight Blue, Cloud White

Channels
    North America:
    GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    CDMA Band Class: 0/1/10
    WCDMA Bands: 1/2/4/5/8
    LTE Bands: 2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/41
    CA DL Bands: B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-29, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29

Rest of World:
    GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    CDMA: not supported
    WCDMA Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/9/19
    LTE Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/9/19/20/28/41
    CA DL: B3-B5, B3-B8
    Audio output
    Dual front-facing speakers
    CPU
    Quad core Krait 450 CPU 2.7 GHz (Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 SOC)

GPU
    Adreno 420

Wireless
    802.11ac 2 x 2 (MIMO)
    Bluetooth 4.1
    NFC

Memory
    32 GB & 64 GB

Ports
    Micro USB 2.0
    Nano SIM
    3.5 mm audio

Sensors
    GPS
    Accelerometer
    Gyroscope
    Magnetometer
    Ambient light sensor
    Barometer

Battery**
    3220 mAh
    Standby time (Ambient Display on ) up to 250 hours
    Standby time (Ambient Display off) up to 330 hours
    Internet use time (Wi-Fi) up to 9.5 hours
    Internet use time (LTE) up to 10 hours
    Talk time up to 24 hours
    Video playback up to 10 hours
    Water Resistant
    Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

digitaldr wrote: »
    Funny no word on screen type oled/LCD? The Nexus 9 is LCD but no mention of the res!

Click the light blue thing that looks like a circle with <> in the specs section on http://www.google.com/nexus/6/
    and it expands showing full specs which say it is AMOLED

Do the same with Nexus 9 and you'll see QXGA (2048x1536)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Nexus just lost its self a customer.

Very dissapointing...much to big for a normal everyday phone

• Advertisement
Advertisement