Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    It's a regular thing, especially with SIM free iPhones. SIM free does not always mean unlocked
    http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/apple-iphone-when-sim-free-doesnt-mean-unlocked

This isn't about iPhones???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

listermint wrote: »
    This isn't about iPhones???

Yes, the other poster said they never heard of the practice when it's pretty common. The Moto G SIM free from Tesco UK locked to first SIM inserted. Buy any phone from a provider SIM free may not mean unlocked

It's a regular thing, especially with SIM free iPhones. SIM free does not always mean unlocked
    http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/apple-iphone-when-sim-free-doesnt-mean-unlocked

I'm only familiar with android, and have never heard of this.

I had to unlock an iPhone recently and it was a totally different process, done through iTunes. Would probably explain their different locking methods.

Yes, the other poster said they never heard of the practice when it's pretty common. The Moto G SIM free from Tesco UK locked to first SIM inserted. Buy any phone from a provider SIM free may not mean unlocked

Moto G
    Are you sure about this?

First I've heard

Moto G
    Are you sure about this?

First I've heard

• Advertisement

Sorry, correction, it was the Moto G from Meteor that locked to first SIM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Speculation stock will hit the play store today.
    I'm not expecting to see it on the Irish store yet seeing as we're still getting the "not available in your country" currently. Toying with ordering via UK play store as i had to do for N4 and N10. Pain in rear end having to go through the rigmarole but I'm guessing it'll be the same as last time ((UK VPN, UK play account, visa debit card, parcel motel).

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_6_32_GB_Midnight_Blue?id=nexus_6_blue_32gb

Anyone else looking to order soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

I seen Argos are selling the nexus 9 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

What makes you speculate it will be in the store today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

I'm not expecting to see it on the Irish store yet seeing as we're still getting the "not available in your country" currently. Toying with ordering via UK play store as i had to do for N4 and N10. Pain in rear end having to go through the rigmarole but I'm guessing it'll be the same as last time ((UK VPN, UK play account, visa debit card, parcel motel).

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_6_32_GB_Midnight_Blue?id=nexus_6_blue_32gb

Here's hoping we don't have to go down that road Gran Hermano to get on of these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I gotta say that I liked the fact that no one that I knew had a Nexus 4 when I went through the easy process of ordering it on Flubit (after all the assistance that I got on here) so if I do decide to get a Nexus 6 (highly likely as I didn't get the Nexus 5), I like that it can't be gotten here and its not as common as an iPhone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

I read it was due to hit the UK on the 18th.

Anyway, thinking about it. I bought my Nexus 5 from the UK using the same method before it went on sale here.

I'm going to wait and read a few reviews first before I pull the trigger.

Reviews should be coming out today, there was a press embargo until the 12th. I guess that's the 12th according to PST working hours, 'cos there ain't no reviews yet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

jimmynokia wrote: »
    What makes you speculate it will be in the store today?

Google advised that Wednesday was the day each week they'd update stock.
    See screenshot of US play store below.

https://boygeniusreport.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/nexus-6-google-play-store-wednesday.jpg?w=624

Not sure whether US only or all countries that show it as coming soon like UK.

Two american carriers have already delayed their release by a week or two.
    weslers wrote: »
    Here's hoping we don't have to go down that road Gran Hermano to get on of these
    It was hassle when initially ordering, I'd one play account and card locked by google, but once or figured it out subsequent orders were easy. Anyone who only ordered via flubit had it far too easy :)

From what I recall of both N4 and N10 launch it was around 1700hrs each day when they updated stock on UK site.

I'm looking forward to the N6 more than the N9. Spec for this year's phone looks like a bigger leap than the tablet.

November 18th at the earliest in Europe, according to lots of sources, such as:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/us-carriers-european-retailers-reveal-nexus-6-pricing-release-dates/83741.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

DECEiFER wrote: »
    It's also showing up on the French and German Play Stores but it's still unavailable in Ireland. Not this crap again... What is it with Ireland that we keep getting left out, at least at first? And as predicted, the Euro price is the same figure as the Dollar price.

I'm living in France since September and really want to buy the N6 here but when I go to the Play Store it's not showing? What link are you using? Would my Irish Play Store account be possibly causing an issue? I never changed anything at all settings wise!

Thanks,
    M

Is it just me or is anyone else starting to get cold feet on the N6....

Is it just me or is anyone else starting to get cold feet on the N6....

Nope. Some excellent reviews coming in:
    The Nexus 6 is ****ing huge. It's also the best big phone I've ever used. Hell, it's one of the best phones I've ever touched. I never want to give it up. It's that good.
    http://gizmodo.com/nexus-6-review-its-time-to-go-big-1657839547

Nice Android Authority video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCYMABjCt3c

munkee my worries were the battery and camera and most of the reviews aren't good on these aspects. Especially the battery considering its size. The size was one issues (even though I am using a bigish phone OPPO Find 7a) I keep thinking maybe it is just that bit to big.

I usually don't pay much attention to review and not sure why I have this time around (I have the N9 and love it no issues or complaints like others).

munkee my worries were the battery and camera and most of the reviews aren't good on these aspects. Especially the battery considering its size. The size was one issues (even though I am using a bigish phone OPPO Find 7a) I keep thinking maybe it is just that bit to big.

I usually don't pay much attention to review and not sure why I have this time around (I have the N9 and love it no issues or complaints like others).

Most of the reviews? Im not getting that from most of the views.

Most of the reviews? Im not getting that from most of the views.

From the reviews I have read they all seem to suggest the camera is good not great. Its far better then anything else that has been shipped with a Nexus before but that wasn't hard to do.

Same goes for the battery. A lot are saying its just average for 3,220 mAh battery you would expect a bit more that just a days usage.

Just like the issues with the N9 I think a lot of these can be improved upon with OS updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I'm getting cold feet as well. The size was not a major thing for me because I'm using a Note 3 at the moment and it is fine. But I've read a few reviews about Lollipop not really being optimised for one handed use on a phablet which sounds like the size could be an issue.

Plus if I'm going to spend 600 odd quid on a phone, I want an amazing camera and this doesn't sound like it will be amazing.

So I'm leaning back towards the OnePlusOne which sounds like the natural successor to the other Nexus devices.

I'm getting cold feet as well. The size was not a major thing for me because I'm using a Note 3 at the moment and it is fine. But I've read a few reviews about Lollipop not really being optimised for one handed use on a phablet which sounds like the size could be an issue.

I'm not really concerned about the whole one handed thing I'm using the OPPO Find 7 and tend to use two hands most of the time.

The camera and battery life at the two many issues for me I did read that the camera API has been open to developers so we could see some new camera apps take advantage of that.

The battery going on what I have read should be better and with project Volta I would have expected it to be better than what I am reading.

The good thing about all these issues is that the are all fixable I would assume via updates.

I'm not really concerned about the whole one handed thing I'm using the OPPO Find 7 and tend to use two hands most of the time.

The camera and battery life at the two many issues for me I did read that the camera API has been open to developers so we could see some new camera apps take advantage of that.

The battery going on what I have read should be better and with project Volta I would have expected it to be better than what I am reading.

The good thing about all these issues is that the are all fixable I would assume via updates.

Word for Word that sounds like one review, I think it was engadget.

I would go back and read more reviews.

Possibly ones that have battery tested it for more than a few days after getting it.

its far too early to be believing one reviewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

http://www.trustedreviews.com/nexus-6-review

First impressions

-Camera not as good as iphone 6 or note 4
    -Amoled screen not as vibrant as expected
    -Awkward to hold, cheap back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not really somewhere I look to for tech input - the Guardian have an overview of some reviews.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/13/google-nexus-6-phone-review-roundup-massive-fast-pricey

Word for Word that sounds like one review, I think it was engadget.

I would go back and read more reviews.

Possibly ones that have battery tested it for more than a few days after getting it.

its far too early to be believing one reviewer.

I have read a lot of reviews listermint believe me and it is the same common issues the camera and battery.

Like I said I hope these can be improved via updates but you cant deny that they are issues at the moment when most of the reviews are reporting the same issues.

I'm reading as many reviews saying the battery life is good, as good as or better than the Note 4. Also seeing as many reviews saying the camera is on par with other flagship smartphones, i.e. Note 4 and iPhone 6.

munkee wrote: »
    I'm reading as many reviews saying the battery life is good, as good as or better than the Note 4. Also seeing as many reviews saying the camera is on par with other flagship smartphones, i.e. Note 4 and iPhone 6.

Could you post the links munkee so I can have a read.

I am going to wait for more reviews myself. I am beginning to dislike touchwiz on my note 4 (first samsung device I owned). However arstechnica did a performance test and it's looking like the 6's sequential read/write is not so good compared to the competition and even the nexus 5. This is the reason for the slow app load times and not lollipop. I will wait to see what Anandtech says as he usually does a good analysis on mobile nand memory.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/nexus-6-review-the-premium-price-still-comes-with-compromises/2/

<edit>
    AnandTech review up
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8687/the-nexus-6-review/10
    " I think that Samsung currently offers a better phablet experience with regards to software, with multi-window views,
    specialized landscape layouts, and S Pen integration. The display and battery life are also better on the Galaxy Note 4."

• Advertisement

Could you post the links munkee so I can have a read.

I'd like to see these reviews too. All the ones I have read said the cameras is close to the note 4. And a good few are scathing of googles camera app. So maybe this has something to do with it.

I would consider the nexus 6 for lollipop and front facing speakers. I would happily trade off the slightly better camera on the note 4 for this (if reviews are to be believed).

Does the 6 have a wireless charging feature by the way ?

Flaccus wrote: »
    I'd like to see these reviews too. All the ones I have read said the cameras is close to the note 4. And a good few are scathing of googles camera app. So maybe this has something to do with it.

I would consider the nexus 6 for lollipop and front facing speakers. I would happily trade off the slightly better camera on the note 4 for this (if reviews are to be believed).

The fact that the camera API is now open to developers we should see a better camera experience (and like I have said im sure updates from Google will improve the image processing to give better images).

Yes the N6 does support wireless charging.

Yes

Excellent. Glad to see wireless charging is there.

So it looks like the camera according to AnandTech takes too long to take pics but of course software updates will help with that hopefully. For my uses it's probably good enough.

The Note 4 seems to have a better screen, better battery life, but that touchwiz :(

From what I can remember seeing. I swore I watched a video review which compared it favourably to the Note 4. If I find it will post it.
    Among this mass of specifications, the figure to focus on above is not megapixels but the aperture. The Nexus 6 has a slightly larger aperture compared to its rivals which allows it to take in more light. In combination with its optical image stabilisation (OIS) this gives it the foundation to edge ahead of the pack. And in photography terms, it does.

In good conditions the images the Nexus 6 can capture are superb. They offer more detail at full size than the iPhone 6 Plus and they are less prone to the extensive sharpening seen on the otherwise brilliant Note 4 – even if the Nexus 6 can also oversharpen slightly as seen on the full resolution crop of the leaves (further down).

In low light the Nexus 6 is also a champ and the shot it took of the lighter flame in pitch black was even achieved without HDR. Meanwhile HDR shots are uniformly excellent as the shot of the tree branches against the night sky illustrate.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/11/12/nexus-6-review/4/
    An exceptional camera....

The result is a camera that's easily among the best you can find on a smartphone today. On the whole, the Nexus 6's photos tend to be crisp and clear with vibrant and realistic colors. The Google Camera app's HDR+ mode also works remarkably well, delivering vivid images with strong contrast and fine detail. The phone even performs admirably in low-light conditions.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2846245/nexus-6-deep-dive-review-a-supersized-smartphone-that-shines.html
    I'm very happy with the improvements Google has made to their camera on the Nexus 6. I no longer feel like Nexus devices will always be a generation behind the competition when it comes to camera quality. Google and Motorola should also congratulate themselves on their white balance algorithm which helped the Nexus 6 to take photos that better reflected how the scenes actually looked in real life.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8687/the-nexus-6-review/6

overall, Nexus 6 is among the better cameraphones out there. It will deliver consistently good images, that's without a doubt.

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_nexus_6-review-1164p8.php
    The new Nexus may actually have the best camera we've seen on a Motorola phone—it certainly performs better than its smaller sibling. Photo details and colors looked great, regardless of lighting. In darker situations (where OIS really comes in handy), the phone's camera setup was smart enough to keep bright colors from washing out while avoiding the noise and graininess that can easily show up in low-light pictures.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/11/12/google-nexus-6-review
    In all fairness, the 13-megapixel camera of the Nexus 6 is an all-around solid performer – we wouldn’t go far to say that it’s a cut above its rivals, but at the very least, its quality is highly competitive.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Google-Nexus-6-Review_id3852/page/3

Edit: I focused on camera reviews above. I saw at least one review that said battery life was better than the Note 4.

Looking good munkee. I'm not a pro so even the Nexus 5 camera would be good enough for me.

The only 2 minus's for me are the battery life, and what ArsTechnica said about the sequential read/write not being so good but I have yet to see any other site mention this. I probably would not be able to tell which screen is better Nexus 6 or Note 4 either.

I'm still mightily tempted to sell my Note 4 and get the Nexus 6. Even with animations set to 0ms, I still can't get on with touchwiz. Hate it.

Does anyone know when the Nexus 6 is expected to hit the Irish google play store ?

• Advertisement

Looking good munkee. I'm not a pro so even the Nexus 5 camera would be good enough for me.

The only 2 minus's for me are the battery life, and what ArsTechnica said about the sequential read/write not being so good but I have yet to see any other site mention this. I probably would not be able to tell which screen is better Nexus 6 or Note 4 either.

I'm still mightily tempted to sell my Note 4 and get the Nexus 6. Even with animations set to 0ms, I still can't get on with touchwiz. Hate it.

Does anyone know when the Nexus 6 is expected to hit the Irish google play store ?

I read that ArsTechnica review too and was initially disheartened, but then lots of others that had it scoring very well in benchmarks. Benchmarks should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'm with you on TouchWiz, I utterly detest it. That, and the Samsung insistence on a hardware home button.

No news of the N6 yet in the Irish Play Store, but should be available in the UK in theory next week, so you could order there.

Read that the reason for the read/write benchmark being low is encryption, it's forced in the nexus 6, you get similar results on a nexus 5 when you enable encryption
    https://plus.google.com/113626589264625799748/posts/iDyPjEuEf51

Read that the reason for the read/write benchmark being low is encryption, it's forced in the nexus 6, you get similar results on a nexus 5 when you enable encryption
    https://plus.google.com/113626589264625799748/posts/iDyPjEuEf51

Exactly, maybe some common sense should be used. There's no way that a device with 3GB of RAM and a SnapDragon 805 is slow. There are other factors at play.

I have seen some users report that their Nexus 9 devices have been getting faster over a few days usage, possibly related to ART, I don't know.

MKBHD Nexus 6 review.

http://youtu.be/RoAPTdvgAJg

• Advertisement

Just pre ordered my Nexus 6 (comes with 1 month insurance for free) - https://www.unlocked-mobiles.com/sim-free-mobile-phones/google-nexus-6-sim-free-p-84756.html

EDIT: its 1 months insurance free not 3

On Amazon UK now too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/ref=pe_1534021_56654291_pe_button/?ASIN=B00OTAQZ38

Edit: Still showing as 'coming soon' on the UK Google Play store, bizarrely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Amazon have it for approx €624 and dispatched on December 15th...still tempted but kind of pricey.
    Is it really worth over €600????

robo wrote: »
    Amazon have it for approx €624 and dispatched on December 15th...still tempted but kind of pricey.

It's really down to whether it's worth it to you.

At that size (6" screen) you have to compare it with similar devices, e.g. the Note 4 and iPhone 6 plus.

The Note 4 is available here via Vodafone prepay for about €600, although on Amazon the sim unlocked version is about €680.

The iPhone 6 Plus 16GB version is €800 for the 16GB version.

So the N6 is still cheaper than comparable devices.

If I had to pick one at that price, it would be the N6, no question- I hate heavily skinned UIs like TouchWiz.

robo wrote: »

Unlocked mobiles have an expected date of the 4th wonder which one is the more realistic date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just gone live in the play store, picked one up but they are not shipping until Dec. 16th :(

Wow, and now sold out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Trigg171

I preordered the white 64GB on amazon.fr for €669 with delivery to a french address(My GF is French and I'll be in France for Christmas so lucky in that sense)

I tested out what would be the cost with delivery here to Ireland and it worked out at around €700.

jester77 wrote:
    Just gone live in the play store, picked one up but they are not shipping until Dec. 16th 

I presumed its the UK play store you ordered it from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Is the 64GB white version available on Amazon. And will it be shipped to Ireland from Amazon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement