Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden World & Beech Tree Cafe to close

Options
  • 15-08-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Is this true? I can't find anything online. I love it there - I really hope it is just a nasty rumour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Cafe and gardens shutting 3rd week of September. Terrible shock for all concerned. Land is being sold apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Ah no - that just stinks - love it up there. :(

it's a tradition for us to go to the cafe there ever since it was recommended on here. Those beautiful gardens as well ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gah! - it's a really nice spot. I assumed they'd made the gardens free to drum up business for the cafe, but obviously it still didn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Ah bugger! The only decent spot left in the area...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

What?! Such a wonderful place and always so busy, what a loss to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

That is a great pity, lovely gardens to take wedding photos in.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/8632585@N06/14117333219/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Disappointed to hear this. Beautiful spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

we spoke to someone working there a couple weeks back and they said that the business itself wasnt loss making just that the land owner who sublet the land wants to sell now...

A real shame, a lovely cafe and gardens

jobless wrote: »
    we spoke to someone working there a couple weeks back and they said that the business itself wasnt loss making just that the land owner who sublet the land wants to sell now...

A real shame, a lovely cafe and gardens
    I
    Yes the cafe has to close - no choice - because he is selling. I can rarely eat out because of lack of funds but I go there if I have a chance. The family and dogs love it too. So sad.

No idea what will happen to those beautiful gardens that have been grown and nurtured for the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

I
    No idea what will happen to those beautiful gardens that have been grown and nurtured for the last 20 years.

Some bastard will level those gardens and stick up a few houses. Hope he gets them up just in time for the next property crash. I'm really angry about this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Wonder if the cafe has reached out to The Delgany - don't think there is anyone upstairs at the moment...

I'd love them to continue but one of the reasons I loved the cafe was that I felt comfortable being in scruffs with the dogs. I walked into the Delgany twice and left both times I felt so out of place. I love the laid back friendly appeal of the Beech Tree but I wouldn't ever go if it was there.

Don't you think it had something that those Greystones main street cafes (for example) can't ever offer - warmth?

Am I wrong about the Delgany - did I get it on a bad day when every car in car park was bmw, audi or 4by4 and it was full of well heeled ladies who looked down their noses at us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Taltos wrote: »
    Wonder if the cafe has reached out to The Delgany - don't think there is anyone upstairs at the moment...

what, a coffee shop above their coffee shop????doubt it.

In relation to the beech tree I thought the service was excellent,especially the red headed young lad,he won't have a problem finding another job.

I'll miss the fish and chips most.

The food and service were both excellent, the red haired chap as mentioned was a gem. The gardens were sublime, and the level of knowledge, enthusiasm and advice offered by the garden centre staff were great. It was a great alternative to the rather production line feel you get at Avoca.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

If the land is indeed being sold for houses then surely the landowner had to get planning permission to build. When requesting planning permission is any consideration given to what is currently in place on the land?

Or perhaps there is no permission, yet. So the business is closed and then permission is sought.

Either way if building houses is the plan then I'm surprised it lasted so long and wasn't built on during the last boom.

Anyways , it's a shame.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/national-garden-exhibition-centre-kilquade-co-wicklow/2877111

I am confused. I was told first hand the cafe and the gardens are closing in Sept because it is being sold because the land is being sold and the businesses will be gone. Does the above link make sense to people that know property things? Why is it advertised as a 4 bed but shows pics of the gardens? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

The entire property is being sold and includes the original owners bungalow, speculation re house building etc is just that, speculation..and is way premature.
    It's being sold as a going concern with a hefty rent roll , if sold new owners might opt to keep it exactly as it is.

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    The entire property is being sold and includes the original owners bungalow, speculation re house building etc is just that, speculation..and is way premature.
    It's being sold as a going concern with a hefty rent roll , if sold new owners might opt to keep it exactly as it is.

I agree but that is what the staff were told! Either way the wonderful Beech Tree will be gone in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bennetts

What a shame! Was there just this week for lunch with family and the gardens have always been my favourite for plant buying. We were served by the red haired chap - Cian, I think - who is a joy and we also had a stroll around the gardens which we haven't done for years and it was a lovely surprise to see how much has changed in there. I am so disappointed, especially as now we are starting to hear about more new business in the area and there's a general feel of hopefulness. I hope whoever buys the land decides to let the garden centre and cafe stay if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A national exhibition centre, a garden centre shop, a cafe, and a 4-bed house for a mere €1.5 million? If they throw in the red haired chap I'll take it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wifey

To say I am devastated is an understatement. Love love love it there, so many lovely afternoons had. I am gutted for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

Hi all. As a good friend of the couple who run The Beech Tree, they have asked me to confirm that yes they will be closing at the end of the September. But it is not for lack of business it is down to the fact they are unable to sign a new lease while the land is up for sale.

They are overwhelmed by all the lovely comments you have left. They are touched that the place is loved so much. They aren't sure of the next move yet but are thinking that due to such a fantastic loyal customer base it might be wise to find a new premises. But it is yet to be decided.

The comment left about how people feel comfortable and relaxed made their day. The goal has always been to serve tasty food in a relaxing and friendly setting, and to be very family friendly. So they are delighted people feel so welcome and relaxed.

Lastly they feel confident that it will not be turned into houses/apartments/etc, it would have to be a very foolish buyer not to take advantage of all the work and love that has gone into the gardens and surrounding areas.

As it stands the final day of trading is 21st of September.

Thanks everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hope they find a new spot - absolutely love this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Just to echo the sentiments of others. Very disappointed to hear the place is closing. As mentioned it always seems to be heaving up there! Always found the staff really kind there- couldn't do enough to help you. A big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Visited there a couple of days ago. Expected to see some gloomy faces among the staff. Surprisingly, for me anyway, they were as cheerful and helpful as usual.Very professional attitude from young people under the circumstances.
    If they have to go I hope they get another location in the general area. Hard to beat the current setting though.

Cerco wrote: »
    Visited there a couple of days ago. Expected to see some gloomy faces among the staff. Surprisingly, for me anyway, they were as cheerful and helpful as usual.Very professional attitude from young people under the circumstances.
    If they have to go I hope they get another location in the general area. Hard to beat the current setting though.

sums the place up!

I hope they reopen but I really hope they stay away from Greystones. I just loved the all welcome vibe and no one posing. Kilcoole would be a lovely spot but there isn't a premises with the right ambiance.

It is such a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

This sucks big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What strange expectations to expect gloomy waiting staff before you go somewhere.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

What strange expectations to expect gloomy waiting staff before you go somewhere.

I think he meant they might be a bit gloomier than normal due to the fact they are about to be made unemployed....
    I wouldnt find that strange in the slightest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement