Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o'Byrne's Greenan

• 15-08-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭

What happened to the Pub? Looked closed down the other day. Does anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    What happened to the Pub? Looked closed down the other day. Does anyone know?

It has changed hands a few times recently I think. I think it only opens in the evenings. Not 100% sure but will find out for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Actually the day I mentioned I stopped the car for curiosity and peaked through the window. Place looked abandoned - or like new owner has to be found and old one took (big) parts of interieur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

It's actually Byrne's of Greenan, not O'Bryne's.

And yes, it's closed.
    Actually the day I mentioned I stopped the car for curiosity and peaked through the window. Place looked abandoned - or like new owner has to be found and old one took (big) parts of interieur.

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    It's actually Byrne's of Greenan, not O'Bryne's.

M. J. Byrne (according to the sign...)

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    And yes, it's closed.

That's too bad.

Do you know if sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meso Harney

No, was for sale, licence now sold to Lidl / Aldi, being converted into a house, was not sold, and now will never be a pub again:( Old pa would be spinning in his grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is this the place on the right on the way to Glenmalure.

Good memories of that place. Sad to hear it's gone forever.

That's the one, have to trek all the way to the lodge now for a pint

No, was for sale, licence now sold to Lidl / Aldi, being converted into a house, was not sold, and now will never be a pub again:( Old pa would be spinning in his grave.

Understand: they are NOW working on it to make it a house instead of a pub but haven't sold it yet. Is it still owned by the pub family? And the licence to run a pub/to sell alcohol is bought by Lidl or Aldi? Sorry, just that I got this right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Understand: they are NOW working on it to make it a house instead of a pub but haven't sold it yet. Is it still owned by the pub family? And the licence to run a pub/to sell alcohol is bought by Lidl or Aldi? Sorry, just that I got this right...

It's not owned by the Byrne family anymore. Was sold years ago to another local family but they've sold it on again. So, who knows who owns it but they're not local as far as I know.

Was passed on from original family on death of owner, still roughly within family, has never been sold. Occupied by a local man now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement