Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go Pro Cameras - are they worth the money?

• 15-08-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Just wanted to get opinions on Go Pro cameras, are they just becoming the must have gadget or are they worth the 400 odd quid they cost?

There is loads of opinions on the internet but I wanted to get some views of people who have used them.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have two, and find them great. Maybe not totally worth the price, but definitely useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

depends on what you want it for and what quality video you want in the end..
    i have the hero3 and generally use 1080p 60fps it can do 4k aswell but as lower fps or 720p at 120fps for super slow mo, and i use the wide angle setting for the lens, mostly for motorbike trips (or running around the house making airplane noises)

some of the cheaper ones do 1080 but not sure about the lens or fps rates.

i think for the build quality of the camera and the waterproof case + mounting options they are worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I think that it depends entirely on you. They're decent pieces of kit, and can allow you to make great compilation videos, but I wouldn't buy one if I was not going diving, mountain-biking, skateboarding, surfing or whatever. If you're into things like that, save up for one, sure - you'll find plenty of reasons to use it. But if you're just looking to take a few snaps of a trip to a beach, for instance, once in a blue moon, you'd probably be just as satisfied taking a few pictures with a normal camera.

The picture quality is pretty good, and the lens allows you to capture loads of the scene, but it's not quite like using a big DSLR camera. Still, I think it's definitely adequate quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have 2 and I love them but as others have said if you dont have a good use for them they are a waste of time. If you want a small HD camera to bring around with you a point and shoot is a better buy for example. If you want something that can go anywhere do anything a gopro is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I often put mine on top of my dslr with a cold shoe mount, gives a good perspective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBustedFlush

Excellent for getting shots from an angle position that you wouldn't dare to put your more expensive gear. Used them many times - front of trucks, underbelly of vehicles, dropping into inaccessible places, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

I'd echo pretty much everything said here.....for the size that they are, they are an incredible piece of kit...but overpriced unless you have a use/need for one. I use mine for kayaking and wouldn't have bothered with it other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBustedFlush

ec18 wrote: »
    I'd echo pretty much everything said here.....for the size that they are, they are an incredible piece of kit...but overpriced unless you have a use/need for one. I use mine for kayaking and wouldn't have bothered with it other than that.

They're getting cheaper as they become more popular. The video resolution is an issue depending on the MP storage and lens.

Advertisement