Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pollock fishing

Options
  • 15-08-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all I'm looking to start shore and to rock fishing,now I done a bit of fly fishing on rivers for trout so this is a big change of scenery for me,I'm basically looking into buying a rod reel and lures,a fairly basic set up,also I'm hoping to fish around the conemara coast,would this be pollock water...any info would be greatly appreciated.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭KAI.Fundraiser

Cheap and easy, get a cheap spinning rod and reel, some jelly lures and some light ball weights. Go to the rock marks and bounce the jelly lures along the bottom. If theres pollack there youl get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

How much were you looking to spend? I find these lures good for pollock using a rig like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

dmc17 wrote: »
    How much were you looking to spend? I find these lures good for pollock using a rig like this

I've had great success with similar lures to those fishing for pollack. Using a similar set up you can swap the rubber with a sandeel.

Be prepared to lose plenty of gear when you're fishing for pollack, they seem to love kelp beds and rocky shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Google or youtube "texas rigged lures" and have a go with that. You will need weedless hooks, and if you need extra weight a cone lead but every tackle shop in the country will sell them.
    You will loose very little gear to rocks and weed if set up this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

In September head out to Lettermullen. Best Pollock fishing I ever had was out there. On light tackle, theyre some crack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I had a nice pollock last week, whilst spinning for mackerel :) He was lovely on the plate as well

Join Ireland Weather Network

Advertisement