Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing to medicine mature entry

Options
  • 15-08-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys. I am looking for advice re the mature entry programme.
    I am qualified 6 yrs as a general nurse. I am totally lost re HPAT, GAMSAT, GEM. ?? Can somebody please explain which is applicable for me for medicine in Ireland. And how do I go about process of application.
    Also would appreciate any tips from anyone who has completed the nurse to medicine transition.....

Thanks

Connoc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

If you have a level 8 honours degree with a 2:1 or higher then you are eligible for Grad Med (4 year course in UCD, UCC, RCSI or UL). You sit the GAMSAT. AKA GEM - graduate entry medicine.

If you are over 23 then you are eligible for mature entry (undergraduate route 5-6 years). AFAIK you need to meet matriculation requirements, e.g. >480 points in your LC, one or two science subjects at certain grades (check Qualifax.ie for the various colleges) and sit the HPAT.

You are too late for entry this year. There is a lot of info on the application process in various threads here and in the Edu-Mature & non-traditional students thread, and then in each of the colleges that take matures, mainly RCSI and TCD as they take higher numbers. It would be well worth your time reading through those threads IMHO.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Connoc24

Abby19 wrote: »
    If you have a level 8 honours degree with a 2:1 or higher then you are eligible for Grad Med (4 year course in UCD, UCC, RCSI or UL). You sit the GAMSAT. AKA GEM - graduate entry medicine.

If you are over 23 then you are eligible for mature entry (undergraduate route 5-6 years). AFAIK you need to meet matriculation requirements, e.g. >480 points in your LC, one or two science subjects at certain grades (check Qualifax.ie for the various colleges) and sit the HPAT.

You are too late for entry this year. There is a lot of info on the application process in various threads here and in the Edu-Mature & non-traditional students thread, and then in each of the colleges that take matures, mainly RCSI and TCD as they take higher numbers. It would be well worth your time reading through those threads IMHO.

Best of luck!

Hi abby19
    Thanks for your reply. So for mature entry I still need to meet the LC requirements? I thought that was means tested on personal statement and experience no?
    Mind me asking what route did you go through and what your experiences were of the application?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭livk

You don't need the minimum points as far as I can recall, but you absolutely do need the minimum science grades in your leaving cert. I had to repeat the Leaving Cert to get them. Your personal statement matters a lot, just as much as your experience really.

I just got in to UCC as a mature, and i'm coming from midwifery.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Hi Livk, do you mind me asking did you do Direct entry to midwifery or do nursing first?
    Thanks

I was the first year of direct entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

I am doing general this year in the hope of doing the post grad in midwifery when Im finished thats why I am asking. I was between two minds whether to apply again next year or just go ahead and do nursing then mids after. Some people are saying the post grad wont be around in a few years time

I'd be in agreement with that to be honest. Maybe try applying for midwifery in first year of nursing and try and switch over if possible. They're two very different careers.

Advertisement