Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweilers skin condition/conditions

• 15-08-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi lads,
    My rottweiler has had problems with his 2 back paws for awhile now. The first vet said it was ingrowing hair follicles. The second didn't think it was and didn't think it had anything to do with the ground he's on! So he done a biopsy and it said it was a type of allergy! He has cost my loads of money and nothin is working! He is now on a raw food diet and his paws have gotten a lot better but not fully healed and I've been putting aloe vera on them but his coat is terrible and I'm finding new skin problems under his chin like a bumpy rash and around his neck! The vet said he probably has a weak immune system! He's on raw chicken now for the last month and fish!and he was wormed and done for fleas last week which hadn't been done in a long time before hand! Further up his back legs are weeping ! I've left out mats and dat but he won't lie on them. I dunno is it all one problem or a few different problems! If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful! Only this time last year he was shining and came first in a dog show!! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

From what I've read and been told, chicken is actually the meat that most dogs are allergic to, so could you try feeding something else and see if that makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Wow... poor fella. Is he chewing at his paws / legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ronaldo087

Yes I can get him beef and try him on that to see? Maybe it was just because he hadn't been done for worms for a long time and may need more time on the chicken?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ronaldo087 wrote: »
    Yes I can get him beef and try him on that to see? Maybe it was just because he hadn't been done for worms for a long time and may need more time on the chicken?
    Lamb / Beef / Duck / Rabbit / Fish only should give you some alternatives for meat sources; also check what's in any treats you give him as most are of dubious quality so consider cutting anything like that to zero. You can also make it easy with some wet food like Rocco or similar but check that they don't contain grains.

ElKavo wrote: »
    Wow... poor fella. Is he chewing at his paws / legs?
    Yes hes lickin them alot and so does or our dog! she licks where its sore!

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Lamb / Beef / Duck / Rabbit / Fish only should give you some alternatives for meat sources; also check what's in any treats you give him as most are of dubious quality so consider cutting anything like that to zero. You can also make it easy with some wet food like Rocco or similar but check that they don't contain grains.

Hes getting no treats and if he does its meat! Hes getting nothing only chicken and fish!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hes getting no treats and if he does its meat! Hes getting nothing only chicken and fish!
    And how long has he been on his current raw of chicken & fish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long have you had him on the raw diet? It might take a while to get whatever it was that was bothering him to leave his system.

What food was he on before if you dont mind me asking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

Hi lads,
    My rottweiler has had problems with his 2 back paws for awhile now. The first vet said it was ingrowing hair follicles. The second didn't think it was and didn't think it had anything to do with the ground he's on! So he done a biopsy and it said it was a type of allergy! He has cost my loads of money and nothin is working! He is now on a raw food diet and his paws have gotten a lot better but not fully healed and I've been putting aloe vera on them but his coat is terrible and I'm finding new skin problems under his chin like a bumpy rash and around his neck! The vet said he probably has a weak immune system! He's on raw chicken now for the last month and fish!and he was wormed and done for fleas last week which hadn't been done in a long time before hand! Further up his back legs are weeping ! I've left out mats and dat but he won't lie on them. I dunno is it all one problem or a few different problems! If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful! Only this time last year he was shining and came first in a dog show!! :(

<snip>
    Keep your dumb suggestions to yourself please. Do not post in this thread again.
    DBB

Can you remember did you change his food when he started to get these issues or had anything changed in his life? Anything that could have triggered these problems?

• Advertisement

Until he was 1.5 yrs old he was on hills science plan, burns and then bosch! i found when he was on bosch food he was in his best condition. but then i took him off it because i couldnt afford it and then he started getting lidl dog food and nuts that can be got in local shops.hes been on the chicken and fish for just over 6 weeks!

Ah right, well there you go then. Its the food that has caused it. It might take a while to get all that crap out of his system before you see some results.

Is there no way you can go back on the Bosch even?

People wonder why we dont recommend Lidl and Aldi dog food, this is a prime exactly of it.

No he stayed on the same cheap nuts and leftover food? the second vet didnt beieve it was his diet he thought it was a deep underlying genetic problem. the biopsy said it was a type of allergy? he was on anti biotics and then moved to steroids but since coming off the steroids and on the raw food hes back 2 paws arent too bad anymore but his over condition has gone way back! further up his legs i think might be from the hard ground and arent getting a chance to heal but i dunno why all the other things are happening aswel?

Yes hes lickin them alot and so does or our dog! she licks where its sore!

If it is an allergy you could ask your vet for a course of Prednisone a months supply should help while you try other areas. It is a strong antihistamine for dogs and you should take your vets advice on dosage. It should help take the discomfort and itchiness out of the area which will allow it to heal a lot quicker than it will if he's at it. Go for fish, duck, lamb as your protein source as it have less chance of a reaction. I use a fish and potato or a duck and potato food and the coats are great on my pair.

Has anything else changed in his diet / environment? Did you wash him or his bedding in any new product?

Yes, an allergy to the crap that's in that food.

Trust me, i have 3 rotties and they have all suffered from hot spots and nearly everyone was food/diet related.

If he is still having issues then i would cut something out, maybe cut out the chicken and try feeding just fish and rice and maybe some scrambled egg too.

If it clears up then chicken could be the cause.

What flavour was the Bosch food do you know?

andreac wrote: »
    Ah right, well there you go then. Its the food that has caused it. It might take a while to get all that crap out of his system before you see some results.

Is there no way you can go back on the Bosch even?

People wonder why we dont recommend Lidl and Aldi dog food, this is a prime exactly of it.

i could from next weeks on but i thought the chicken and fish like other people have told me is the best feeding he can get?

i could from next weeks on but i thought the chicken and fish like other people have told me is the best feeding he can get?

Not necessarily if its fish or chicken thats causing the issue in the first place.

Scratch that last question... I see Andrea has it in hand.

Yes, an allergy to the crap that's in that food.

Trust me, i have 3 rotties and they have all suffered from hot spots and nearly everyone was food/diet related.

If he is still having issues then i would cut something out, maybe cut out the chicken and try feeding just fish and rice and maybe some scrambled egg too.

If it clears up then chicken could be the cause.

What flavour was the Bosch food do you know?

its ingredients are
    Poultry meat meal, barley, maize, wheat flour, animal fat, meat meal, wheat bran, meat hydrolyzate, fish meal, beet pulp (Sugared), peas, yeast (dried), sodium chloride, mussel meat meal (min. 0.1%), potassium chloride, chicory.

Meat and protein from animal sources: min. 23% (dryed), proportion of protein that's from animals: min. 62%.
    isnt barley maize and wheat flour bad for dogs?

Well Poultry is chicken so it was mainly chicken flavour.

But i would try and get him cleared up first before introducing dry food again.

• Advertisement

thanks alot for yere help lads!!:)

do you mind me asking what you are feeding ur 3 andreac?

I have my young dog on Clinivet and my older two are on something similar to Arden Grange from a local pet shop. I had awful problems before with my older boy with hot spots and this food suits him great.

I had my pup on Eukanuba but his coat was awful so i tried him on Clinivet and theres a huge difference already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Well Poultry is chicken so it was mainly chicken flavour.

But i would try and get him cleared up first before introducing dry food again.

Not necessarily, I'd say it probably is, but it may be duck.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Not necessarily, I'd say it probably is, but it may be duck.

God of course, never thought, thats the blonde in me :o

I have my young dog on Clinivet and my older two are on something similar to Arden Grange from a local pet shop. I had awful problems before with my older boy with hot spots and this food suits him great.

I had my pup on Eukanuba but his coat was awful so i tried him on Clinivet and theres a huge difference already.

and from just changing his food it sorted the hot spots? there the spots constantly tubbing off the ground yes? have u ever had any other problems with ur rotties feet?
    Thanks alot for ur help!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

<snip>
    Ah JonKelleher, thank you for attempting to post your own private activities in this forum again, but as you were posting, unfortunately I was just banning you for that delightful PM you sent me.
    Hopefully your "treatment" will cure your own problem there in the privacy of your own home, it must be terribly frustrating for you.
    :-)

and from just changing his food it sorted the hot spots? there the spots constantly tubbing off the ground yes? have u ever had any other problems with ur rotties feet?
    Thanks alot for ur help!!

Tubbing off the ground?? I dont know what you mean. Do you mean the areas that are dry and hard from lying on the ground?

Well my fella only really got them when i added something diff into his food, eg Gain, Royal Canin and Hills. So i just made sure that he stayed on one food only that suited him.
    No never had problems with feet but that could be diet irritating him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

I feed my Rottweiler Royal cannon and hot spots are still a slight issue also had the same issue with a past GSD. I,m a total non beliver in natural cures but after trying everything the vets had to offer and several different high end foods I finally went with a natural product and have to say the results are amazing.

Hokamix forte, i get it online from holistic pet products. The shine of my dogs is second to none and hotspots are a thing of the past. I,ve no connection to this company just a happy customer.

bulleyes wrote: »
    I feed my Rottweiler Royal cannon and hot spots are still a slight issue also had the same issue with a past GSD. I,m a total non beliver in natural cures but after trying everything the vets had to offer and several different high end foods I finally went with a natural product and have to say the results are amazing.

Hokamix forte, i get it online from holistic pet products. The shine of my dogs is second to none and hotspots are a thing of the past. I,ve no connection to this company just a happy customer.

is it a supllement or actual dog food?

• Advertisement

Tubbing off the ground?? I dont know what you mean. Do you mean the areas that are dry and hard from lying on the ground?

Well my fella only really got them when i added something diff into his food, eg Gain, Royal Canin and Hills. So i just made sure that he stayed on one food only that suited him.
    No never had problems with feet but that could be diet irritating him.

yes i meant rubbing off the ground!!
    Thanks alot for your help andreac!!!

Advertisement