Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From NI to ROI - CBT & What Next

• 15-08-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I hold a full UK driving (car) license and I've completed my CBT. I'm possibly moving down to Dublin in the next few weeks for work and I'm wondering what the next stages are on getting my full (bike) license in ROI. At the awkward age of 23 I can't do Direct Access for Cat A (or can I?)

Appreciate any advice

Kyle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The CBT is the UK version of the Irish IBT. The IBT is far more in depth and costs a lot more.
    The CBT is not valid in Ireland so you will need to do the IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kylef

Thanks BrokenArrows.

If I was to get my A2 license up north (i.e. complete MOD1 and MOD2 tests) what are the implications in ROI? Is it the usual ride anything up to 47bhp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

kylef wrote: »
    Thanks BrokenArrows.

If I was to get my A2 license up north (i.e. complete MOD1 and MOD2 tests) what are the implications in ROI? Is it the usual ride anything up to 47bhp?

If you get your Full NI license then you should be able to convert it to the Irish equivalent. Im not sure what the equivalent is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭gipi

Your full A2 will be valid for the same powered bikes here - 47bhp is the same as 35kw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

gipi wrote: »
    Your full A2 will be valid for the same powered bikes here - 47bhp is the same as 35kw

+1

The licence categories are now harmonised across the EU. A2 is 35kw whether issued in France, Spain, UK or wherever. In any case you'd be bound to whatever it says on your license, not the rules of the country you're in.

You don't need to exchange your licence either. A full licence is valid across the EU. (Learner permits aren't though, they're only valid in the country they're issued in.) If you get points here they might make you exchange it but other than that...

Why don't you do it in NI? You'll only have to start over again if you do it here; apply for learner permit, do theory test, do IBT, wait six months, apply for test.

Good work, thanks for the clarity all.

Advertisement