Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up bank account, documents required?

Options
  • 15-08-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Can somebody tell me what documents are needed to set up a bank account in Canada?

Proof of Address
    Two type of identification etc.?

Also wondering what people did for money when they first went over, just take money from Irish bank account with card?
    Are the fees for that extortionate? Are there any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

Phoenix wrote: »
    I used my passport,Proof of my SIN(Canadian PPS) which is also used as proof of I.D
    As for proof of address I used the letter I got from Service Canada which contained my Canadian address.
    I used currency fair when my Canadian chequing account was set up to transfer my money form my euro bank account to my Canadian.

I have read a lot about this currency fair but not sure how it all works, do you get a better rate transferring funds through currency fair rather than doing it straight from 1 bank to another?. The reason I ask is I have just arrived in canada and will be setting up my account mon morning, I have savings in my australian bank account waitin to transfer and wondering what are my best options??
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Do you need proof of address? If i have just arrived and staying in a hostel, i don't yet have an address?!?!?

I want to set up a bank account as soon as I have my SIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Phoenix wrote: »
    Your document with your SIN can be used for proof of address,once you have more permanent accommodation you can change it

Okay thanks and when getting my sin the hostel address will do?

Advertisement