Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cctv on homes

Options
  • 15-08-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I live in a housing estate with communal parking and my neighbour has just installed a camera outside his window on window ledge pointing on to the road.

1. He moved in about 6 months ago

2. The kids all play on the road and I feel like it's an invasion

Are there any laws or guidelines on this I'd understand if he had a front garden and was protecting it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

If you have a serious gripe I would suggest you contact the data commissioners offices. They love this sort of thing.

In general CCTV rules are in their infancy in this country, I can't really see you having much success contacting the PSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

jackstaff wrote: »
    I live in a housing estate with communal parking and my neighbour has just installed a camera outside his window on window ledge pointing on to the road.

Are there any laws or guidelines on this I'd understand if he had a front garden and was protecting it

Why do you assume he's looking at kids?

Nearly every CCTV system I have installed looks onto a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why must everyone be assumed to be a deviant of some description?

Maybe he has spent a lot of money on his home or equipment inside it, and wants to have a recording of anyone who might approach his house and break-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

There are guidelines and that's it, the law is a bit hit and miss in this area.
    You could approach him and let on your car was tampered with and see what the camera is actually monitoring.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

Jnealon wrote: »
    There are guidelines and that's it, the law is a bit hit and miss in this area.
    You could approach him and let on your car was tampered with and see what the camera is actually monitoring.
    Good luck

What are the guidelines for cctv installation. Just out of curiosity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why must everyone be assumed to be a deviant of some description?

Maybe he has spent a lot of money on his home or equipment inside it, and wants to have a recording of anyone who might approach his house and break-in?

Unfortunately its the world we live in today .Too many weirdos about
    As a father of 3 young kids I find it weird somebody who is renting 6months puts a camera pointing on to the road to mind his banger of a car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

As a father of 3 young kids I find it weird somebody who is renting 6months puts a camera pointing on to the road to mind his banger of a car

Why do you find that weird?

And just because you don't value his car very much he obviously does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,
    I have installed CCTV for my house, back and front garden.
    Also, records a portion of my front road, where cars been parked.
    Some neighbour(s) said that not sure if ok, blah blah...

Some time ago 2 of them approached me to see footage from the street when apparently their cars been scratched and one stolen.
    Told them is closed private and the camera does not cover that spot.

SO...when I record for ME is bad, when they need it is OK !???

Obviously posting this on a completely pro cctv forum was not very informative as nobody can tell me the laws regarding pointing cctv towards adjacent homes and onto public roads.

Obviously posting this on a completely pro cctv forum was not very informative as nobody can tell me the laws regarding pointing cctv towards adjacent homes and onto public roads.

The only legal issue that I have done, to cover my back, is buying few posters "CCTV Recording in Operation". Fitted them outside in front garden, front window and front door.
    Anyone cares to complain, don't care, private property.

On the camera facing public roads, is another story but I guess as long as you made them aware that CCTV installed, you should be covered.

Have fun...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheNileEffect

Domestic CCTV is generally exempt from Data Protection laws. The exemption to the exemption is if the CCTV is recording you or your property where you would have a reasonable expectation to privacy - Such as your home or your garden. As you've no expectation of privacy in a public area - like you said, a communal parking area - This doesn't apply. If you believe he is recording your property, you are entitled to take a civil case against him based on constitutional and common law rights to privacy. If you believe he is only recording his own property, and that of a public communal area, you have no case.

Domestic CCTV is generally exempt from Data Protection laws. The exemption to the exemption is if the CCTV is recording you or your property where you would have a reasonable expectation to privacy - Such as your home or your garden. As you've no expectation of privacy in a public area - like you said, a communal parking area - This doesn't apply. If you believe he is recording your property, you are entitled to take a civil case against him based on constitutional and common law rights to privacy. If you believe he is only recording his own property, and that of a public communal area, you have no case.

Thanks for your very helpful answer

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

www (dot) dataprotection (dot) ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/242.htm

apologies for not providing a direct link

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe he's dealing drugs and needs a camera to watch out for Nidge coming to get him?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe he's dealing drugs and needs a camera to watch out for Nidge coming to get him?

Haha it's the stray football ball he needs to watch out for tonight 👍

A quick one: define privacy in the back garden / front garden, where I can stay at my home window and watch what he/she is doing.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheNileEffect

rolion wrote: »
    A quick one: define privacy in the back garden / front garden, where I can stay at my home window and watch what he/she is doing.
    Thanks.

Courtesy of the Law Reform Commission, quoted from their report on the Right To Privacy - Surveillance and the Interception of Communications, LRC57 - 1998:

"A person's right to freedom from surveillance is at its highest, and comes closest to being absolute, when he or she is at home. There is logically also a heightened right to such privacy for a person on other kinds of private premises. Yet even at home, a person may so behave (e.g. before the window of a lighted room at night without drawing the curtains or in the garden of a dwellinghouse which is open to public view from the street) that persons in neighbouring premises or casual bypassers (without snooping or resorting to visual or aural surveillance equipment) cannot fail to see or hear what is going on. In some such cases the dweller may even intend to be seen or photographed and clearly there is no invasion of privacy in such a case."

However that's just guidance, and I don't believe it's ever been tested in Irish Courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All good stuff lads and thank you for the informed posts,

We are approaching giving legal advice so we'd need to watch that before it happens. Just because its written here does not mean that it is true or untrue the OP will need to check independently of Boards.ie. Thanks again.

Advertisement