Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation Novice

Options
  • 15-08-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Firstly I'm really really sorry for starting a new thread but that so called and aptly named "Megathread" was a bit too much for me. I'm hoping to get an offer for Science on money and I'm pretty comfortable points wise so I'm hopeful but I was just wondering about accommodation. Is Belgrove or Merville a better bet? I know there's lovely glossy promo photos on the website but I was hoping someone could give me some decent first hand info on them.

Thanks a million for any replies in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

They've all been renovated to a similar standard now, the only difference is really the number of people you're willing to share a bathroom with.

Merville:

-4 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms
    -Decent sized kitchen living room
    -Right next to Centra which is handier than you'd think
    -Near Business and Law Buildings

Belgrove:

-3 Bedrooms & 1 bathroom (AFAIK)
    -Smaller living room/kitchen
    -Nearer to arts block/library/science

Glenomena:

-6 bedrooms all en-suite
    -big kitchen/living room
    -next to merville/centra

Ive lived in Glenomena and Merville. Glenomena is the best of the three, then Merville. Not a fan of Belgrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Sorry to hijack OP but is Glenomena much more expensive? Also is it more 2nd/3rd/4th years that live there? As a 1st year would you be in a minority? It's just the en-suite sounds fairly tempting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Sorry to hijack OP but is Glenomena much more expensive? Also is it more 2nd/3rd/4th years that live there? As a 1st year would you be in a minority? It's just the en-suite sounds fairly tempting :rolleyes:

Glenomena was always around €1000 more than merville or belgrove. It depends, in my apt last year i was a 3rd year in with 3 other 1st yrs and 2 exchange students so its generally mixed.

The en-suite is the best thing ever. Sharing a bathroom is §hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Orlando_Con

And as regards "good craic" is there much of a difference between the three? I'm hoping to do Science so Belgrove is probably more convenient but I'm just not sure about it

• Advertisement

And as regards "good craic" is there much of a difference between the three? I'm hoping to do Science so Belgrove is probably more convenient but I'm just not sure about it

I found before i went into 1st year there was this idea that some of the residences are 'better craic' than others and they area all self contained (as if to suggest if you lived in merville you couldnt go to a house party in belgrove). That really isnt the case. You can beer anywhere that you will find convenient :P theyre all as good craic as each other, its the people, not the place!

As far as the distance between residence and buildings go, its really not a big deal. To say belgrove is nearer to science really wont make getting there any handier at 9am, the difference is only a couple of hundred yards. Bathrooms are a bigger factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Orlando_Con

I'm drawn to Merville due to the bathroom thing even though I'd cut off my left arm for an ensuite. The larger living area seems like a good idea too, I'm really high on the waitlist so I should have a pretty good chance anyway. Thanks a million

no bother! Merville's a great spot, you wont be disappointed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement