Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsidence on Parliament Bridge

Options
  • 15-08-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

For some time past there is a fairly large subsidence in the surface of this bridge on the right hand side. As nothing has been done about it I can only assume that it is safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Move to the left, or wear a lifejacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Yup..Pop on the crash helmet..

It's there months, and getting worse.

No sign of anything being done about it.

It's a real bone shaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd suspect that this is just a surface issue. That bridge was structurally rebuilt not so many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I'd suspect that this is just a surface issue. That bridge was structurally rebuilt not so many years ago.
    This was around 1990 IIRC, so I'd have been about 4. But I seem to remember a temporary bridge that was right next to where Nano Nagle bridge is and traffic just drove straight across to Grand Parade from Sullivans Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Safe as houses.
    It's not like any old structures in Cork City fell down in recent years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Safe as houses.
    It's not like any old structures in Cork City fell down in recent years....

There was a building collapsed about three years ago on Castle St... The gap where the building was is still there... No one injured thankfully.

Also, maybe 14/15 years ago some buildings (or at least the top of them) collapsed on the junction of Washington St/South Main St, killing one young man and putting a girl in a wheelchair.

A lot of buildings had to be reduced in size after that (Mannix & Cullane for example) as well as others getting remedial work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

If you look at the upper floors of some buildings they don't look great esp on Washington street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Some of the quay wall collapsed just a few metres down from the bridge too. Seemed to happen not long after some kind of pipe was pretty much bolted onto the quay wall. Not really visible now with the boardwalk built overhanging it. Hopefully it's still sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The_Banker wrote: »
    There was a building collapsed about three years ago on Castle St... The gap where the building was is still there... No one injured thankfully.

Also, maybe 14/15 years ago some buildings (or at least the top of them) collapsed on the junction of Washington St/South Main St, killing one young man and putting a girl in a wheelchair.

A lot of buildings had to be reduced in size after that (Mannix & Cullane for example) as well as others getting remedial work.

Well aware of those, should make my sarcasm more obvious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

dewdrop wrote: »
    For some time past there is a fairly large subsidence in the surface of this bridge on the right hand side. As nothing has been done about it I can only assume that it is safe?

This is Ireland. Someone will have to be injured or killed before anything is done about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement