Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying for a work visa

Options
  • 15-08-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

hey,

I would like to apply for a work visa for NZ. I was just for about an hour on the goverment website, is it just me or does anybody else think it's just a nightmare? links not opening and after this hour no way to figure out what are exactly their absolute skills shortage jobs or future growth areas...so I decided to come here and ask, I hope there's somebody who can help me.

my questions at the moment are:

1. what are their 'absolute skills shortages' ?
    2. what are their 'future growth areas' ?

3. what is a recognised qualification, level 7 or 8 ?
    4.what is a recognised qualification level 3,4,5,6 ?

I'm an architect, my guess is my chances are quite good as they still have a lot of work to do after the earth quake...?

Also, is it better to apply for a permanent residency or a temporary work visa?

Sorry if this questions seem stupid or ask to death before, but the website drives me nuts:rolleyes:

thanks for answers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

typed 'skill shortage' into the search box on their home page and here ye go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

thanks for that.

After some browsing and reading about how to get a visa on the government site, I came to the conclusion it's pretty impossible to get any visa (except work travel) without having an employer already?
    you'll need it for the temporary work visa as well as for the permanent one and even if the occupation is on the skilled shortage list.
    Is this right? basically you'll only get a visa when there's a job secured.

I thought they give out a certain amount of visas without an employersponsoring? but that was probably my wishfull thinking..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Go over on the WHV and get in with an architect firm and see if they'll give ya the job offer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tara73 wrote: »
    thanks for that.

After some browsing and reading about how to get a visa on the government site, I came to the conclusion it's pretty impossible to get any visa (except work travel) without having an employer already?
    you'll need it for the temporary work visa as well as for the permanent one and even if the occupation is on the skilled shortage list.
    Is this right? basically you'll only get a visa when there's a job secured.

Nope.

There are tourists visas. You can be one one of them until you get a job offer - you just cannot work.

Then you get a job offer, and apply for a visa type that will let you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

carnie wrote: »
    Go over on the WHV and get in with an architect firm and see if they'll give ya the job offer

yeah, that's probably the best way or chance to secure something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement