Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty training

Options
  • 15-08-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

I thought this would be a good idea to start since there is a few of us doing this at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

A is 2 yrs 4 months. Today was day 1.

So potty training went very well for day 1. Done pees and a poo in the potty and also a pee in the toilet (using the toilet seat). We managed a lil walk around the estate with no accidents and also 2 very quick car journeys to collect my mum then drop her home a few hrs later. Didnt wet when she went for her nap for an hr and 20 mins. And also went to bed in a pants at 7. And i checked on her a few mins ago. Still dry . Sat her on the toilet but nothing. OH will sit her on ut again in a while and put pull ups on then for the remainder of the night.
    But im very proud of her. 3 big accidents where was a full wee and twice where she just had a little dribble before she realised. Also got away with the same dress on her all day.

Do others use pull ups at night. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My guys not at the age yet but I'm gonna watch to get tips for him.. I'm dreading it he's a headcase

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Suucee wrote: »
    A is 2 yrs 4 months. Today was day 1.

So potty training went very well for day 1. Done pees and a poo in the potty and also a pee in the toilet (using the toilet seat). We managed a lil walk around the estate with no accidents and also 2 very quick car journeys to collect my mum then drop her home a few hrs later. Didnt wet when she went for her nap for an hr and 20 mins. And also went to bed in a pants at 7. And i checked on her a few mins ago. Still dry . Sat her on the toilet but nothing. OH will sit her on ut again in a while and put pull ups on then for the remainder of the night.
    But im very proud of her. 3 big accidents where was a full wee and twice where she just had a little dribble before she realised. Also got away with the same dress on her all day.

Do others use pull ups at night. ?

Sounds like a brilliant first day. Very impressed with your little one :)

When I trained I just used normal nappies at night and took it off first thing in the morning to let her pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

That's what we do too with our son. Just pants on all day then a normal nappy at night, taken off first thing for his morning wee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

My lads only new so months away yet, but I know when my sister was doing it, she left nappies on them, but got them to tell her when they needed the bathroom. And they were given praises for using the toilet rather than the nappy :) nappy was just there in case they did. After a while they completely stopped with nappies because they could go a day without ever needing a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I've being following Cs lead: she's pretty much poo trained, and has had a really good week for pees: just one accident a few days and more dribbles than a proper pee. She's got a toilet seat and a step upstairs and downstairs. She won't use the toilet if there's anyone else in the house though!

Day 2. Only accident was straight after her nap. When i went in to her she was dry but had to run in to roaring baba and she wet while i was tending to him. Will now use the seat on the toilet. Git worried today as shes normally a 2-3 poo a day girl but only 1 yesterday and nithing all day. Filled her full of fruit pot , water , fruity cereal bars. Then after dinner she was sutting on the toilet while OH ran the bath and she done a poo.
    Went to bed at 7 in pants but wet when we checked so changed in to nappy. I dont really want to put a nappy on her in the evening as im afraid she will be too aware and maybe hold her poo until then. Thinking tomorro night we will put pants on after bath. Then bed about 7. Then at about 8 pop a nappy on when shes asleep so no idea its going on. (Hoping she wont wet between 7-8.
    Got out for a walk again today .
    Tomorro going to chance heading out . Heading swimming in the morning and to a home and garden festival in the afternoon. Got a fold up seat for the toilet. Folds to about the size of a nappy so will use that when out. Fingers crossed it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Re started J again today, I leave him with nothing on from the waist down.
    One pee on the couch :rolleyes: one poo on the mat :rolleyes: BUT he stayed dry through his nap & then went voluntarily to his potty & did a big wee by himself. Loads of praise, let him pour it in the 'big' toilet & flush plus one chocolate sweet from the sweet jar.
    Fingers crossed the penny is finally dropping:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We have just trained our two year old. We don't put any pants on her because she treats them like nappies. So nothing at all on her, she knows to pull up her dress when she's on the potty. We haven't had many accidents so far and she's able to hold on until she gets to the potty. She's done pees and poos in the potty from the start no bother.

I don't want her going without pants for too long though, any tips for getting them used to underpants?

How are ye getting on with poo's. A is doing really well. not a lot of accidents.

yesterday we went out for the first time. went swimming and she done a wee in the toilet before we went in to the pool. had an accident during her nap though. headed out to a garden festival in the afternoon. was fine for hours but then had a wee accident but she was running then fell, stood up and wee'd so i think that was due to the fright. but when we headed to a friends house she had a poo accident.

she normally poo's 2-3 times a day but only once fri, sat and sun. and at random times.

today then all was good. had an accident this morning but that was because i was chatting to someone , she sat on potty and then called me to tell me all done, great right but she had her trousers and pants on. so she knows what she's doing.

anyway this afternoon my sis (home for a few weeks from NZ ) wanted to go to indoor play centre with them. i wasnt too keen but as she is going back thurs i wanted to spend time with her . so i put a pull up on. about 20 mins later she done a poo in the pull up, so changed her and stuck a nappy on just in case and she done another poo. changed her again and stuck on another nappy. left that on until we were leaving and it was dry, so i took it off and left her in just her pants. she has been dry all evening . done her pee's in the toilet. off to bed at 7pm in pants and OH just went up now (she;s asleep) and put a nappy on her but she was already wet. i kind of dont want to put her to bed in a nappy as she will get used to knowing its coming and may start holding her poo until then..

PS i got this thing and it is great for out and about. A is a little afraid of the big toilet and this helps alot. ours is a minnie mouse one so is a big hit.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Babyway-Little-Wonders-Foldable-Toilet-Seat-Green_1179184/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

We just finished training my son last week (fingers crossed). It took a full two weeks but any change to his routine always does.

When we did have to go out and about and we were still in the early stages we'd put a pull-up on over his pants, this way if he did go it would never be comfortable and he wouldn't fall back on it.

Just a pointer I read somewhere and we found it worked - after a few days we needed to get out of that house!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Hey All,

Have twins that will be 3 in a few months and would like to have them out of nappies by the time their birthday comes around.

I'm just wondering if you put a plan in place for toilet training or just dove straight in, I think I/we've held off as if I'm honest I'm a bit intimidated. I could really use any tips and advice that's going.

Thanks in advance
    Sscope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Just reading this thread makes me want to cry! My toddler is 3 next month and he is perfectly aware of when he needs to go but is digging his heels in. We've already abandoned our efforts twice now when he made reasonable progress before completely backsliding. We have a six month old as well and when he was showing resistance coming up to the birth we just put the nappies back on, figured he needed the security. My oh is reluctant to back off again but I'm loathe to pressure him and have him resist or resent it. I'm trying to keep it light as it is. He's definitely aware of when he needs to go. Often I will just try to bring him to the potty or toilet as I can tell that he needs to go and he'll refuse, only to have an accident minutes later. He also will take himself off somewhere to move his bowels, usually taking the opportunity while I'm breastfeeding the baby. I get the sense that it really is an exercise in his will. He just doesn't want to do it. It could be a reaction to the new baby and not wanting to give up his babyhood? I'm really at a loss. My instinct says to back off again but my oh wants to persist. Also he is due to start kindergarten in February and needs to be independently toileting by then. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

addob wrote: »
    We just finished training my son last week (fingers crossed). It took a full two weeks but any change to his routine always does.

When we did have to go out and about and we were still in the early stages we'd put a pull-up on over his pants, this way if he did go it would never be comfortable and he wouldn't fall back on it.

Just a pointer I read somewhere and we found it worked - after a few days we needed to get out of that house!!

:)

oh thats a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

Honestly the potty training isn't easy. My anxiety levels were high but I wanted to give it a good go and although my boy is on the young side for boys (2y 3m) the creche agreed that they thought it was worth a go.
    If any of you have your kids in creche be sure to have their cooperation.

Honestly if we didn't have a big holiday coming up and he wasn't allowed to use the pool if he wasn't trained I don;t think we would have done it.

Rosy Posy - I'm thrilled that he caught on and glad we persisted but you never know unless you really try, the longer you wait the harder it might be. Do it now before February is too soon!

SScope - we planned it and bought the potty months ago, started talking it up and reading him books about the potty (once upon a potty). He also sat on it and was read the book before getting in the bath every night - he was also obsessed with coming with me to the toilet every time I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I'm mum to a 2yr2month old just wondering what were the signs that your toddlers were ready to start? My little lady still tells me her nappy is fine when she's done a poo!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

lmullen wrote: »
    I'm mum to a 2yr2month old just wondering what were the signs that your toddlers were ready to start? My little lady still tells me her nappy is fine when she's done a poo!

My daughter was the same! But just before she turned 2.5yrs I bit the bullet and just toilet trained her. She was day trained within a week and night trained soon after. I never would have thought she was ready, but I had to have her trained by September so just did it. I was amazed at how well she took to it. They do say girls are easier to train than boys though.

I had been sitting her on the toilet before her bath each night for a few months though. She always peed in the bath so I thought sitting her on the toilet while the bath was filling might help.....it didn't by the way but I think it prepared her a bit for toilet training. She doesn't use a potty or a toddler toilet seat, makes it so much easier when out and about.

With my daughter i started a few months ago, before this i used to sit her on the toilet every night when the bath was running. she seemed ok with it but i still had spd after baba 2 was born so i quit.
    I didnt do anything or say anything about potty or toilet or anything. i stopped putting her on the toilet at bath times too. If i was going in to the bathroom id tell her i was going to do my wee's.
    I just decided out of the blue to try again. i was reading other posts on "off topic thread" so just got up friday morning, took off nappy, said bye bye nappy and hello big girl pants.
    I just watched her as much as i could. if i seen her doing a little dance or starting a wee id bring her out and sit her on the potty. With her poo's she would normally leave the room and hide and i would hear her grunt so i would follow her and then if i knew she needed to go i would bring her out.
    Im pretty lucky though as she seems to have taken to it well. Although i do have to keep an eye on her all the time and keep asking her.
    Today she had no accidents (day 5). we decided no more potty today and just using the seat. She even done 2 poo's in the toilet. dry for her nap and dry an hour after going to bed too.

I have heard the younger they are the easier as they wont resist as much, and alot of people reckon girls are easier, i'll know in 2 years when my lil man needs to start.

also a tip i got from a few other mums was no pull ups when trying, put them straight in to pants so for 1 they are getting used to wearing pants but also its uncomfortable if they pee or poo in it compared to a nappy or bare bum.

I did use pull ups yesterday though as i knew i wouldnt be able to keep a constant eye on her and lucky i did as she did poo.

I just wonder does anyone have any tips regarding resistance and backsliding? It's all well and good saying to put them on the potty or toilet at regular times but what do you do when they refuse? And then two minutes later wets himself? We have tried star charts and bribes but I think he just enjoys the power of saying no and I'm loathe to get into a power struggle with him over it.

Rosy i dont really know tbh . How about just putting pants on and no more nappy. Leaving potty where he can see it. Ask him and if he says no leave it. If he has an accident change him and tell him to let you know as he does his wee's/poo's in the potty/toilet now.
    He will probably have a few accidents but he hopefully will get the message that its uncomfortable.
    Yes it will probably mean alot of cleaning up for you . But maybe ask regularly and he may eventually sit on it.
    Deffinetly do not give out if he has an accident maybe just tell him its ok we can clean up but tell mammy next time.
    And reward him when he does.
    Im sure you know most of this alrrady and i could be completly wrong . But it may now have become a battle of wills now. Or it may be that he's just not ready.
    Hopefully someone with more experience can help.

• Advertisement

Thanks. We've tried a lot of that stuff already on the previous two failed attempts. I actually found this article online that I hope will help- interesting reading if anyone else needs it. The main jist is give them responsibility for their own toileting and stop going on about it but give big praise/rewards when they do go. Going to try it anyway and will report back.

http://www.rogerknapp.com/medical/pottytrainingrefusals.htm

only accident today was nap time.

Went up town and all was fine. first time wearing trousers too (been just putting dresses and pants on her) .

i still have to watch her and bring her a few times as she doesnt tell me but she did tell me she had to poo. was feeding her brother in my mum's house and she said "oh mammy poo's" so we ran in and she done her poo. was so delighted with her.

ive been using the fold up toilet seat when out and and have one at home also but today had already popped it in the car when leaving my mum;s and decided to try her with no seat and she went no prob so done it twice at home and she sat on the toilet no seat and done a wee both times.

Happy mama. Now just to teach her baby brother to sleep and ill be a new woman.

Well today was a total and utter disaster ! She used the toilet first thing. Then had accident after accident all day long until she wanted to do a poo. Tomorrow is another day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I just wonder does anyone have any tips regarding resistance and backsliding? It's all well and good saying to put them on the potty or toilet at regular times but what do you do when they refuse? And then two minutes later wets himself? We have tried star charts and bribes but I think he just enjoys the power of saying no and I'm loathe to get into a power struggle with him over it.

I do get her to tell me - however she's at it 3 weeks and can't be trusted to know! So I say - let go outside and blow bubbles, she's scream yeah! I say as almost a side comment / ok we'll go sit on the potty and then we can go outside with the bubbles , and before she has time to think just kind of run excitedly to the potty and say come on let's go! If she says no I say oh ok , do u not want to go out and she says she does, often crying, and I say well if we don't go on the potty we can't go out because we might
    Pee in out pants and she usually comes then and if not I leave her two mins to think about it while I tidy up or do something else, next time I ask - she comes! And it's all cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

cyning wrote: »
    Well today was a total and utter disaster ! She used the toilet first thing. Then had accident after accident all day long until she wanted to do a poo. Tomorrow is another day :)

Oh thank god it wasn't just me yesterday, I changed his pants 4 times yesterday (3 wees & 1 poo) I gave in then & put a nappy on.
    I just don't get it, he's great at communicating, we talk about where we do & don't do wees & poos & watch other boys & girls use their pottys on utube & he seems to get it but then in practice it all goes out the window, just doesn't make sense to me.
    I don't know where to finish cos I've started or give him a break & come back to it:confused:

C went off and did a poo in the toilet without me noticing today... Which is fantastic I obviously wasn't paying enough attention and she still knew to use the loo! Unfortunately because I wasn't there to wipe her properly she left a streak of poo on the tiles were she was sitting in the kitchen floor... Lovely!!

cyning wrote: »
    C went off and did a poo in the toilet without me noticing today... Which is fantastic I obviously wasn't paying enough attention and she still knew to use the loo! Unfortunately because I wasn't there to wipe her properly she left a streak of poo on the tiles were she was sitting in the kitchen floor... Lovely!!

Ha ha, at least she knew what to do. does she pull her pants down. A sat on the potty the other day of her own accord and done a wee but still had trousers and pants on. still was a step in the right direction. i now have A using just the toilet with out a seat, its so handy going out now.

Was funny today i was cleaning up after dinner and she ran in bye me " quick, quick, ha mon, ha mon" (come on , come on). grabbed my hand and brought me out to the bathroom so she could go.

No accidents again today, thats 2 days in a row now. even got out and up town and to the doctors and all was fine.
    only 6 days since we started so looking good.

She strips naked!! Haha honestly the second you turn your back she has the clothes completely off it's hilarious :) she's only doing ok but she's getting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

joining you guys in the fun! day one, and so far we've gone through four pairs of pants...:eek:

he seems to get the idea of the potty but isnt quick enough to make it to it in time yet. no poos yet, but daddy is brave and took him out (in the car :eek:) as he needed to get stuff done. i hope he lives to tell the tale (also, from now on, we'll always use daddy's car, not mummy's car, for trips with toddler :P)

what do ye do for naptime? nappy on or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

For those potty training younger girls, how is it going? I'm on day 2 with my almost 26 month old and I'm beginning to question if it's too early

Day 1 was all accidents, day 2 was dry for 3 hours, some small accidents but lots of crying and upset on her part. So I had decided to give in and perhaps try again in the morning. But twice this evening she asked to use the potty and did. Now she's still upset by it happening so I don't know whether to keep going or leave it for a few weeks and then try again

Advertisement