Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty training

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

We had the same issue with our little boy. It seems normal that they strat to freak out and become upset about actually peeing on the potty. He was fine to sit on it but would not go. He just held it for hours. - if this is what you mean.

It seems like a stage that they can go through. We stuck with it and eventually it passed but it was a difficult part and we almost gave up as well.

If you can keep going, do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

In terms of knowing the age to start potty training, our pediatrician told us that they should be able to walk up and downstairs without needing to hold your hand. This is because when the muscles in the abdomen or something are developed enough to allow that, then the sphincter is also developed enough to be controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Anyone any ideas on what I can do here?

My son is 3 next month, he is fully trained at peeing and goes to the toilet no problem. However, he flatly refuses to poo in the toilet or potty. He has only gone once and even after us praising him non stop for that he still refuses to go again

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dee111284

Hi, just looking for some tips on potty training, the web is full of tips and I've read some great ones on here too, one thing it's short on is the actual first day, for example how often do you ask him if he needs to go? It's day one, we've done loads of prep and he seems ready, just gone three, but seconds after sitting on potty he'll go on carpet, this is my 2nd go round as he didn't seem interested before, any tips on getting him to let you know he needs to go? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

dee111284 wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for some tips on potty training, the web is full of tips and I've read some great ones on here too, one thing it's short on is the actual first day, for example how often do you ask him if he needs to go? It's day one, we've done loads of prep and he seems ready, just gone three, but seconds after sitting on potty he'll go on carpet, this is my 2nd go round as he didn't seem interested before, any tips on getting him to let you know he needs to go? Thanks

On our first few days we used to bring him to the toilet every 15/20 minutes or so whether he said he needed to or not. I had an alarm set! Still had loads of accidents the first day but second day it was way less and third day he 'got it' and we were sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Hell on earth here. Day 3. Son is 2yrs 9 mths. Has shown no interest in getting trained at all but he starts Montessori next week and they said he has to be trained.

I'm going through about 8 pairs of pants a day. I'll sit him on the potty for ages, he'll do nothing then just get up and pee the first moment I get pants on him. As for poos, he usually goes twice a day but has basically stopped since training. He just waits till he gets his nighttime nappy and then goes.

He just doesn't seem to get the concept at all. How long does it normally take? If it wasn't for Montessori, I'd abandon. He's obviously not ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm stressing about Montessouri too, 2 years and 7 months. We're still at 2-3 accidents at day because he either won't go (if asked) or is completely distracted by doing something and forgets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mousewar, day 3!!go easy on yourself - and him.I started our girl at 2 and 5 months and honestly it took a few weeks before the wee thing went ok (poos are ongoing battle). She's three and 2 months now and we still have accidents.She's ok with the wees but she tends to get there after a little has leaked out first.Poos are just....I really am not sure how she will ever get them🙄 She's trying and I can really see that and I guess we are way further on than even two months ago but God it is rough.I figured get the weeing right first.Poos take them much longer to get, they can't help it.So aim to get the wees right first.And you have to try really hard not to put pressure on him, or at least not to let the pressure show, because they pick it up.

Worse case scenario you might have to consider delaying montessori for a few months.Maybe see how he goes in the next couple of weeks and then go talk to them.Consider a star chart, a treat to work towards, and if you haven't already, get him some books to read about potty training.There's no magic wand to wave unfortunately :(

Mirrorwall, exact same boat here, but at this point I figure....put in spare clothes in their bag amd let it happen.They will have accidents right up to primary school, it's normal (mum is a primary teacher of smallies, she would consider it part and parcel of a day's work)..Teachers in playschool are well used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm stressing about Montessouri too, 2 years and 7 months. We're still at 2-3 accidents at day because he either won't go (if asked) or is completely distracted by doing something and forgets

Mirrorwall is he only going for the 3 hours? I am sure he will be grand he can't have too many accidents in 3 hours?
    I just insist on my son going to the loo before we leave somewhere.....I ask him if he wants to go first or me!! So it's kind of like a game! Literally dont take no for an answer....has to be done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Yeah 3hrs but morning is his busy potty time lol. However, we had NO accidents yesterday including a trip in the car to heatons for his lunchbox so it's going well

• Advertisement

Yeah 3hrs but morning is his busy potty time lol. However, we had NO accidents yesterday including a trip in the car to heatons for his lunchbox so it's going well

Great news! I think he will be grand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Thanks Shesty. Actually had a breakthrough yesterday and he seems to be getting it now. So there's hope. Glad we didn't pack it in now. Tbh, he's a big lad and I'm having trouble finding nappies to fit him. Size 7 pampers and they're pretty snug. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I was afraid that would end up being us!!
    Yeah I got sent one of those 'train your kid in three days' things.I elected not to follow it but i did stay at home for the first three days etc (until I cracked and had to get out!!!). My experience was that she only actually went in the potty towards the end of day two, never mind anything else....hindisght is 20/20 :-)

Actually my biggest challenge after a few weeks was dealing with shrieks from no.2 who was crawling, and dashed to sit on the potty first every time it was produced.I only hope she's as enthusiastic when her turn comes.🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Take heart guys - it can feel like you are getting nowhere but you really are!
    For us, he got the hang of the pee thing within a few days but it was 2 weeks before he did a poop on the loo. I believe in general, poops on the loo can take longer to master than peeing.

Hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hi Guys new to teh forum here. Sought this thread out since Im going through potty training with my little girl.

Shes 2 years and 10 months and was due to go to playschool, however shes not trained yet.

So 1 month ago we said we will see if shes ready and began talking about big girl pants and made a big deal about buying them. We then tried her out for 2 days, alternating with big girl pants and Huggies pull ups and she was slowly getting it.

She began telling us when she wanted to go a bit and we were making progress. But then she got sick. She had a viral infection and it undid our good progress. We had to put the nappy back on her as she was lifeless and going to the potty was teh last thing on her mind plus she had some runny poo's.

So this week since sunday we tried again and while shes going to teh toliet when promted by us (every 30 mins or so) shes not telling us anymore when she needs to go and shes had a few accidents. If we dont prompt her she doesnt try go to the potty at all.

Its like the novelty of the big girl pants and potty has worn off. Should I stick with it and hope she begins to progress or should I give it a break for a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Hello all, my son is 23 months and I have been thinking about potty training for half a year now. I am from Germany where this seems to be done a bit earlier than what the creche suggested at 2.5-3 years but then again, back home the creche pretty much does the training for you.

So I have held off as the creche said they also don't have toilets on his floor till he is a bit older. And with baby number two born four weeks ago we didn't want to go back to square one but with both in nappies now....

He knows when he needs to go but is not able to pull down pants yet so I want to at least try though. My real concern, as I would like to try the go-naked-and-catch-moment approach is that we have carpet flooring everywhere except in our small kitchen and the bathrooms.

How did you handle this? I would hate accidents on carpet :(

If baby no 2 has just arrived, I would wait to be honest.I have girls but I know a lot of people with boys and they mostly hung on til nearly 3 or slightly more, and then managed to train pretty quickly (well a hell of a lot quicker than mine at 2.5)

I'd give him another few months to settle with the baby.Our no.2 arrived when our first was almost 22 months, and it takes them quite a while to get settled and for you to find your routine as a family.You would be making life very tough for yourself!

There are such a thing as training pants, which are proper pants with plastic lining hidden in them... it alllows them to feel damp but contains some of it til you get them to a toilet.And honestly, if your house is carpeted, I'd skip the potty and go straight to the toilet with a seat personally.However I do think he might be still a bit young yet and given the circumstances, you could be better to wait a few more months.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

hi i started potty training my 2 year and 10 month daughter Fri, today is Tuesday. she caught on very fast for pee but makes no effort with poo. just does it in her underwear. any hints what i can do? if she was only trying I'd have hope but she's not. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

sareer wrote: »
    Hello all, my son is 23 months and I have been thinking about potty training for half a year now. I am from Germany where this seems to be done a bit earlier than what the creche suggested at 2.5-3 years but then again, back home the creche pretty much does the training for you.

So I have held off as the creche said they also don't have toilets on his floor till he is a bit older. And with baby number two born four weeks ago we didn't want to go back to square one but with both in nappies now....

He knows when he needs to go but is not able to pull down pants yet so I want to at least try though. My real concern, as I would like to try the go-naked-and-catch-moment approach is that we have carpet flooring everywhere except in our small kitchen and the bathrooms.

How did you handle this? I would hate accidents on carpet :(

I got a suggestion from my mom's friend which we will try (as a lot of Germans still do and always had carpets as well it seems ;)) - give him normal underwear and boy tights - I do realize in Ireland toddlers don't seem to wear woolen tights but in Germany they do, with dinosaurs and car prints etc on them - and then have them go without nappies. So whatever happens will mean more laundry and some discomfort but no accident on the carpet. An option for sure.

margo321 wrote: »
    hi i started potty training my 2 year and 10 month daughter Fri, today is Tuesday. she caught on very fast for pee but makes no effort with poo. just does it in her underwear. any hints what i can do? if she was only trying I'd have hope but she's not. thanks

To be honest, she is only barely into it, so I wouldn't worry too much yet.
    Currently I am 9 mths into training my girl and somedays I feel she is going backwards on the poo thing.No problem with wees at all, takes herself to the toilet.Poos she just does in her pants.She knows it's not the way to do it, she tries to hold if off for ages and ages and she tells you the minute she does it, which I guess is progress in a way but I'm tearing my hair out if I'm honest.It's driving me crazy.And I know everyone tells me she'll get there eventually but I feel like I have failed miserably at this so far and to be honest, I'm blaming myself.

As of today, I am resorting to bribery although I'm not holding out much hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

sareer wrote: »
    I got a suggestion from my mom's friend which we will try (as a lot of Germans still do and always had carpets as well it seems ;)) - give him normal underwear and boy tights - I do realize in Ireland toddlers don't seem to wear woolen tights but in Germany they do, with dinosaurs and car prints etc on them - and then have them go without nappies. So whatever happens will mean more laundry and some discomfort but no accident on the carpet. An option for sure.

They sell those rights every so often in Lidl.

I have bought those tights in lidl! And I think penneys too ;)

Advertisement