Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Had an interesting talk today, it seems like people would be better studying abroad in some sense. Medicine in Italy... you hardly need any points and requirements very low, plus you need to do their version of the HPAT.

Heard Netherlands is very good for Irish students, best do some research :D.

I've a family member who is planning on going to Netherlands.

Compare their requirements with Ireland's and you wonder why loads of young people emigrate!

I'd love to go to Germany as I've been learning it for 5 years so it'd be easier then say the Netherlands where I'd have to pick up a whole new language for my studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I've a family member who is planning on going to Netherlands.

Compare their requirements with Ireland's and you wonder why loads of young people emigrate!

I'd love to go to Germany as I've been learning it for 5 years so it'd be easier then say the Netherlands where I'd have to pick up a whole new language for my studies.

The top universities in the Netherlands ONLY TEACH in English (although I'm sure there would be traditional DUTCH ONLY courses as well). The government implemented that into the education system or something, English is very heavy over there.

University of Amsterdam seems like a nice place!

The top universities in the Netherlands ONLY TEACH in English (although I'm sure there would be traditional DUTCH ONLY courses as well). The government implemented that into the education system or something, English is very heavy over there.

University of Amsterdam seems like a nice place!

Yeah it is, I know some guys who live in Netherlands, they've great English.

Grammar can be messed up at times though.

I'd find it a bit rude to use their education system and not even bother learn their language tbh.

I'm sure if you're out on the town or out shopping people would be a lot more comfortable talking in Dutch as opposed to being under pressure to speak English!

Loads of time to think of all that stuff anyway! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

pvakelly wrote: »
    Heard some good stuff about, haven't seen it though. Spending my TV time on American Horror Story at the moment :D

AHS is the best<333

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    AHS is the best<333

Season 4 is much better than I expected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Consonata

Anybody going to the TCD Open Day in December? Waiting for info about it to come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Consonata wrote: »
    Anybody going to the TCD Open Day in December? Waiting for info about it to come out

Yeah hopefully, I'm looking forward to it :D wanted to go to UCD this Saturday but don't think I can now

I think I'll leave UCD this year. I think I'll only go to TCD and maybe UCG

I think I'll leave UCD this year. I think I'll only go to TCD and maybe UCG

By UCG do you mean NUIG??:confused: cos their open day was in September I think

Really? Aw I thought they had one in Spring, Ah well I'll just go to trinity then. What are you hoping to do after school?

• Advertisement

Really? Aw I thought they had one in Spring, Ah well I'll just go to trinity then. What are you hoping to do after school?

Maybe they do but our 6th years definitely went to one in September :P Medicine or Psychology :) hbu?

Medicine or Law. What colleges are you looking at for Med.?

Medicine or Law. What colleges are you looking at for Med.?

Trinity or NUIG but really, I'd be thrilled to go anywhere :P

I'm also really interested in King's College London and Queen's in Belfast! Or Edinburgh. Wbu?

You must live in the west for NUIG :P Same here, I'm from Donegal. I'd love to go to Trinity, the campus is amazing even though we won't be at "THE campus" That much as Med. students

You must live in the west for NUIG :P Same here, I'm from Donegal. I'd love to go to Trinity, the campus is amazing even though we won't be at "THE campus" That much as Med. students

Haha yeah :P same I really need to go to all the open days so I know for sure though!

Yeah, definitely. It's gonna be a long day, I'm hungry for a lot of information.

What are you hoping to do after school Arnie?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭burtslimpslon

Do you guys all know what you want to do already? Jeez, i hadn't even thought of it, i better start, my school doesn't have a guidance counselor though 😞

You should really, It helps you get motivated so much once you know what you are aiming for and what points that you need.

• Advertisement

What are you hoping to do after school Arnie?

I want to do a lot of things. I'd love to get involved in the advance of technological space travel... I'd love to help make the latest robotic limbs... I'd love to own my own bakery... I'd love to understand why people do this and that... I'd love to be a detective....

As you can see, I'm stuck. Only if one job would fit all of my criteria :(

Realisticslly, I can't decide between Biomedical - psychology- physics.

I'd need at least 450 points, but aiming 540.

I want to do a lot of things. I'd love to get involved in the advance of technological space travel... I'd love to help make the latest robotic limbs... I'd love to own my own bakery... I'd love to understand why people do this and that... I'd love to be a detective....

As you can see, I'm stuck. Only if one job would fit all of my criteria :(

Realisticslly, I can't decide between Biomedical - psychology- physics.

I'd need at least 450 points, but aiming 540.

Is Med. On the cards at all?

Is Med. On the cards at all?

Well, medicine is very vague. I'd enjoy the research and revolutionary aspect of it, but being a doctor seems so ... dull? I'd rather do a lot of other things than be a doctor, and I know doing medicine doesn't EXACTLY make you a doctor, but still.

I also wouldn't enjoy staying in college that long, all I want is a phD, not ten years or so. :pac:

How about you?

Well, medicine is very vague. I'd enjoy the research and revolutionary aspect of it, but being a doctor seems so ... dull? I'd rather do a lot of other things than be a doctor, and I know doing medicine doesn't EXACTLY make you a doctor, but still.

I also wouldn't enjoy staying in college that long, all I want is a phD, not ten years or so. :pac:

How about you?

Going into Med. Looking at being a GP perhaps so I can have projects on the side. It is life experience though. Knowing that you are extending someone else's life

Going into Med. Looking at being a GP perhaps so I can have projects on the side. It is life experience though. Knowing that you are extending someone else's life

What appeals to you to become a GP?

What appeals to you to become a GP?

Helping other people out with their isissueso they won't always be stressing about something or other. What's appealing to you about BioChemistry?

• Advertisement

Helping other people out with their isissueso they won't always be stressing about something or other. What's appealing to you about BioChemistry?

Chemistry, I don't find as appealing as it's my least favourite out of the three sciences. Biology in general is interesting, and the idea that we could save millions of lives by adjusting tiny things in our cells etc or adding new proteins etc, is amazing. I'd like to be part of something, and generally it's a cool thing in my opinion - to alter biology.

There are so many challenges in the world, with cancer being one of the main verdicts. It'd be nice, to get a step closer to eradicating it. I did some experience at Trinity college Immunology, and the work seems fun and intriguing, I recall a number of phD students working on something about some protein that triggers something (wasn't fond as details as I'm not a phD student :pac:).

I should probably sleep.... :sigh:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

Everyone seems to want to do Medicine these days...

IncognitoX wrote: »
    Everyone seems to want to do Medicine these days...

Aim high, as they say.

You'll see it mostly on boards because most people who would be going for medicine will be on a Leaving cert boards such as this. As you can see the HPAT thread is always bursting.

• Advertisement

Does anyone here attend the Institute of Education? I know this is a fifth year thread but im in fifth atm, my school is quite recently built and the first principal moved and the school is going downhill quickly. So does anyone go? Would you recommend it? I'd be going just for 6th year only not repeating 5th btw

Does anyone here attend the Institute of Education? I know this is a fifth year thread but im in fifth atm, my school is quite recently built and the first principal moved and the school is going downhill quickly. So does anyone go? Would you recommend it? I'd be going just for 6th year only not repeating 5th btw

Depends what you want from the school institute. I have two close friends who have had experience there.

Depends what you want from the school institute. I have two close friends who have had experience there.

How did they find it? And basically I won't need a huge amount of points for the course I want (something engineering) but the teachers in my school aren't really great so I don't want to get let's say for example 400 points when I could possibly get 500 even if 400 secured my 1st choice. Really I just want to do the best I can do. And I understand I'll have to work as hard if not harder at the institute.

Anyone got any plans for the weekend? :)

I am totally wrecked after this week!

Yay 4,500 posts! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Was going to go to ucd but meh :/ u?

How did they find it? And basically I won't need a huge amount of points for the course I want (something engineering) but the teachers in my school aren't really great so I don't want to get let's say for example 400 points when I could possibly get 500 even if 400 secured my 1st choice. Really I just want to do the best I can do. And I understand I'll have to work as hard if not harder at the institute.

I'm sure it really depends on opinion, but the institute spoon feeds you. If you're willing to learn what you're given and do the homework - then you'll be fine. It's different from normal school, where topics are eased into class and a lot of time spent explaining. The institute will GREATLY prepare you for college life though, and that would probably the only pro I see along with the great teachers.

My problem is, the attitude. They feed you everything, which would make you lazy and take everything for granted in the end. It really depends what you want.

You want to maximise your potential and be part of 100 student classes? Sure, join the institute.

You want a balanced school life and a more community feel? Don't join.

Two teachers from the institute teach at my school, and I'd admit, their way of teaching is amazing (and DIFFERENT from their style in the institute). At the end of the day, if you work hard you'll get what you want, but I understand you - ****ty teachers really don't help.

Study, study and some more study? Also have some training and park time :pac:

Get off boards.ie and get a life ;););) what are your plans?

I'm sure it really depends on opinion, but the institute spoon feeds you. If you're willing to learn what you're given and do the homework - then you'll be fine. It's different from normal school, where topics are eased into class and a lot of time spent explaining. The institute will GREATLY prepare you for college life though, and that would probably the only pro I see along with the great teachers.

My problem is, the attitude. They feed you everything, which would make you lazy and take everything for granted in the end. It really depends what you want.

You want to maximise your potential and be part of 100 student classes? Sure, join the institute.

You want a balanced school life and a more community feel? Don't join.

Two teachers from the institute teach at my school, and I'd admit, their way of teaching is amazing (and DIFFERENT from their style in the institute). At the end of the day, if you work hard you'll get what you want, but I understand you - ****ty teachers really don't help.

Hmmmm, listening to your points i think it'll help me but not the amount I'd pay to be a day student worth. I think the best option for me would be do the Christmas courses in certain subjects. Cheers for the info.

Hmmmm, listening to your points i think it'll help me but not the amount I'd pay to be a day student worth. I think the best option for me would be do the Christmas courses in certain subjects. Cheers for the info.

A friend who recently enrolled to the institute said he would prefer to do the grind classes instead. He did em for Junior Cert and loved it, guess the full thing ain't as fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

Had a table-tennis match last night! Was planning on going to UCD but there were absolutely no buses near me that suited for today :/ I plan on going to Trinity in December come hell or high water! :P Going to Belfast tomorrow for the day to play the 1st round of Ulster for minor girls! :eek: Exciting weekend! I'll try squeeze in a bit of study today I've a business test on Monday! Ohh and piano lesson today, my exam is in less than 2 weeks! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Anyone know how many pages is required for a play qs.
    In this case 2006 Section QE King Lear Parallel with Glouchester.
    I wrote 2 pages and made all the points and I can't think of anything else.

• Advertisement

Had a table-tennis match last night! Was planning on going to UCD but there were absolutely no buses near me that suited for today :/ I plan on going to Trinity in December come hell or high water! :P Going to Belfast tomorrow for the day to play the 1st round of Ulster for minor girls! :eek: Exciting weekend! I'll try squeeze in a bit of study today I've a business test on Monday! Ohh and piano lesson today, my exam is in less than 2 weeks! :eek:

What is 'minor girls'?
    Anyone know how many pages is required for a play qs.
    In this case 2006 Section QE King Lear Parallel with Glouchester.
    I wrote 2 pages and made all the points and I can't think of anything else.

Write a paragraph for every 5 marks. If its 30 marks, write 6 paragraphs.

Oh I forgot we're all doing the same Shakespearean Drama.

King Lear is a load of bollox though, even the teachers in my school were all agreed in that it's the worst and most difficult to learn!

Luck of the draw I guess though!

What is 'minor girls'?

u18s :)

King Lear is a load of bollox though, even the teachers in my school were all agreed in that it's the worst and most difficult to learn!

My class didn't even start the play ... and the ordinary level class are almost done. I love Shakespeare.

We started near the end of September and our homework this weekend was the read the last scene, I don't think it's too bad! My class all have the same book and it's actually a good one because at the back of it it give continuous summaries and character profiles throughout the play! ( which helps A LOT) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

Please please help! If for all values of x (3p-2t)x + r -4t^2 =0 show that r=9p^2

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Definitely the hardest, but most rewarding if my english teacher is to be believed. Guess we'll have to see :)

Please please help! If for all values of x (3p-2t)x + r -4t^2 =0 show that r=9p^2

I attempted it twice, and can't seem to get rid of the x.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

I attempted it twice, and can't seem to get rid of the x.

I was trying it taking out the x but couldn't figure it out!

• Advertisement

I hate the Shakespearean dramas!

The English is the most backward.... Ugh! :pac:

I use an eBook for mine which cost €0.77 but pretty much everyone's version is a bit different!

Advertisement