Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Birdgirly

Hey guys, first of all just chill out this year isn't as big or as bad as you think, its a marathon not a sprint just chip away at it and youll all be fine! I did the big LC last year and got 5 A1s and 2 A2s and studied by making my own notes and just learning from them then and I was wondering do ye reckon people would actually be interested in buying copies of the A1 notes if I set up an ebay account or whatever or is it just a waste of time? Was going to do them for Maths, German, Chemistry and the Irish oral! Maybe DCG too if people were interested. Theyd have to be at least €5 to be worth selling after post and packaging and folders to put them in, infact id probably look for closer to 10 so do ye think that's unrealistic? just interested in what you all think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Birdgirly wrote: »
    Hey guys, first of all just chill out this year isn't as big or as bad as you think, its a marathon not a sprint just chip away at it and youll all be fine! I did the big LC last year and got 5 A1s and 2 A2s and studied by making my own notes and just learning from them then and I was wondering do ye reckon people would actually be interested in buying copies of the A1 notes if I set up an ebay account or whatever or is it just a waste of time? Was going to do them for Maths, German, Chemistry and the Irish oral! Maybe DCG too if people were interested. Theyd have to be at least €5 to be worth selling after post and packaging and folders to put them in, infact id probably look for closer to 10 so do ye think that's unrealistic? just interested in what you all think :)

I personally wouldn't bother buying anyone else's notes as i learn much better writing out notes myself but I know people who would definitely buy them. Don't know how much luck you'd have on eBay or even online in general, you might be better off just asking current 6th years or posting in a local buy and sell page on Facebook? Also you'd want to have neat handwriting lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭aquse

Buying notes is retarded and won't help you in the very least. Although, if you're stupid enough to buy them, you deserve to lose the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Sorry for asking something that's probably been asked hundreds of times but how long should question B from an English Paper 1 be? (I know it's supposedly quality over quantity but I mean really, how much is the examiner expecting to see)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

emersyn wrote: »
    Sorry for asking something that's probably been asked hundreds of times but how long should question B from an English Paper 1 be? (I know it's supposedly quality over quantity but I mean really, how much is the examiner expecting to see)

There is no specific length for any answer on the English paper however most students will write about two and a half pages depending on handwriting.

That's paraphrasing what our teacher tells us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

I didn't get much of a response when I asked about the NUIG open day, but is anybody going to the UCC open day tomorrow?

I've been there many times before but I'll take any excuse to visit. I'll be attending a course there this time next year, should everything go to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

DA7800 wrote: »
    I didn't get much of a response when I asked about the NUIG open day, but is anybody going to the UCC open day tomorrow?

I've been there many times before but I'll take any excuse to visit. I'll be attending a course there this time next year, should everything go to plan.

Know someone in my class is going down to look at physics courses. I won't be going to it though, too much of a hike on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rachel98

I'm wondering would it be worth missing school to go to the ul open day nxt Friday. I've already been to the one in January last year but twud b nice 2 go down again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Rachel98 wrote: »
    I'm wondering would it be worth missing school to go to the ul open day nxt Friday. I've already been to the one in January last year but twud b nice 2 go down again

I would go if I was you. Missing a day of school for an open day isn't really a waste of a day since you'd be gaining something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Geography trip to the Burren, will I get covered in sh*te? Or can ya wear something you wouldn't mind bringing home with ya?
    We were told to bring a full change of clothes...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TheBiz wrote: »
    Geography trip to the Burren, will I get covered in sh*te? Or can ya wear something you wouldn't mind bringing home with ya?
    We were told to bring a full change of clothes...

There's very little muck in the Burren. It might be wet weather the change of clothes is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Is anyone esle struggling to do any homework or study on a Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

hubluh wrote:
    Is anyone esle struggling to do any homework or study on a Friday?
    Yes! So exhausted by the time half 3 on a Friday comes around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

I take Fridays off, study last year stuff in a study centre on Saturdays from 10-5:30 hour break in between and then on Sundays, I do homework and a quick revision of what I have done during that week. Works perfectly for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I take Fridays off, study last year stuff in a study centre on Saturdays from 10-5:30 hour break in between and then on Sundays, I do homework and a quick revision of what I have done during that week. Works perfectly for me :D

Really sound routine you have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Guys how do you keep your marks on purpose consistent. I have been losing buckets of marks on purpose in English yet my language and others are excellent, but they cannot be marked higher than purpose. Is there any techniques to be aware of, I'm doing alot of English study currently mainly just to obtain some consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fjollybxo

Consonata wrote:
    Guys how do you keep your marks on purpose consistent. I have been losing buckets of marks on purpose in English yet my language and others are excellent, but they cannot be marked higher than purpose. Is there any techniques to be aware of, I'm doing alot of English study currently mainly just to obtain some consistency

Just keep mentioning the main words in the question at least once or twice in every paragraph. The examiner will mark in the columns every time you mention the specific words

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

fjollybxo wrote: »
    Just keep mentioning the main words in the question at least once or twice in every paragraph. The examiner will mark in the columns every time you mention the specific words

Do we have to mention the exact same words that were in the question or can we use synonyms? If I were to put the same words in every paragraph I feel like it would seem really repetitive

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Hi guys, I have a few questions for you.
    1. Do you ever get distracted? Or lose focus?
    2. Do you ever feel your not getting enough work done?
    3. Is it possible to revise all of my 5th year course in at least 4 subjects over Mid term?
    I feel like I am drowning in a sea of study and revision. I find myself getting more stressed out everyday. :-( so any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

emersyn wrote: »
    Do we have to mention the exact same words that were in the question or can we use synonyms? If I were to put the same words in every paragraph I feel like it would seem really repetitive

You can definitely use synonyms, you could lose marks for language if you're being too repetitive with your wording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

anyone have the edco code for 2006 ''preludes'' poem question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

nermal15 wrote: »
    You can definitely use synonyms, you could lose marks for language if you're being too repetitive with your wording.

See here's the thing with using synonyms to prevent repetition of the question;

First of all the examiner will be looking out for the specific words in the question when marking.

Also, bear in mind that the question could be on any number of things, so preparing synonyms for anything other than the obvious (imagery, subject matter, themes) is all but useless, in my opinion.

I'd like to also point out that with the amount of times you'll be trying to relate back to the question to get a full P grade, the synonyms won't really make a dent on the repetitiveness. It's going to be extremely repetitive, even if you can manage two synonyms for the words you're referring to.

I am not sure whether it's better to devote everything to P, (seeing as no grade can rise above the P grade) and then take the hit on L if it is too repetitive, or do it the other way. Advice appreciated from teachers/markers/experienced.

What's everybodys plans for the Mid Term, study wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Consonata wrote: »
    What's everybodys plans for the Mid Term, study wise?

I have exams the week i come back so next week is gonna be quite fun :):):)

hubluh wrote: »
    I have exams the week i come back so next week is gonna be quite fun :):):)

Haha Enjoy :P I'm trying to revise a good chunk of Biology whilst bring up my marks in Maths and English.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

See here's the thing with using synonyms to prevent repetition of the question;

First of all the examiner will be looking out for the specific words in the question when marking.

Also, bear in mind that the question could be on any number of things, so preparing synonyms for anything other than the obvious (imagery, subject matter, themes) is all but useless, in my opinion.

I'd like to also point out that with the amount of times you'll be trying to relate back to the question to get a full P grade, the synonyms won't really make a dent on the repetitiveness. It's going to be extremely repetitive, even if you can manage two synonyms for the words you're referring to.

I am not sure whether it's better to devote everything to P, (seeing as no grade can rise above the P grade) and then take the hit on L if it is too repetitive, or do it the other way. Advice appreciated from teachers/markers/experienced.

I wasn't suggesting that the student prepare specific synonyms, if they have a high standard of English they should be able to rephrase the question in several different ways.

It's essential to stay focused on the question at all times, but I don't see why that should have to be at the expense of language use and engaging writing. The examiner will be looking for specific points in your answer, but they will have enough cop on to know that, for example, interesting/engaging/compelling/fascinating storytelling all mean the same thing and that you are still on task.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/open-day/talks.ezc Talks are up for the UCD open day. Are there many people who will be heading down for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

nermal15 wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting that the student prepare specific synonyms, if they have a high standard of English they should be able to rephrase the question in several different ways.

It's essential to stay focused on the question at all times, but I don't see why that should have to be at the expense of language use and engaging writing. The examiner will be looking for specific points in your answer, but they will have enough cop on to know that, for example, interesting/engaging/compelling/fascinating storytelling all mean the same thing and that you are still on task.

Fair point, except the questions that come up (at least in recent years) have been extremely specific, and "interesting" would be a great one to get as there are loads of easy synonyms. Unfortunately, we're more likely to get things like "evocative language" and "profound empathy" (both 2015), which are much harder to come up with a list of synonyms for.

In the past, the questions really weren't very specific and you could get away with a lot of bluffing, but with them tightening up coming up to this year's exam, I don't think it's a viable strategy anymore. Just my two cents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To be getting high marks, candidates need to know the difference between terms used in questions.

Here's a guide made for another education system, but the basics are the same :
    http://www.studygs.net/essayterms.htm

It's yet another reason not to use learned off junk.

• Advertisement

How has everyone's Mid-term been?

Advertisement