Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

For the geography field study, do you only mention the activities you have participated in or do you mention everything your group has done?

Having a hard time staying within the allocated word count :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

For the geography field study, do you only mention the activities you have participated in or do you mention everything your group has done?

Having a hard time staying within the allocated word count :/

I pretended I did everything, didn't give any credit to the group. I was about 400 words over the word count and got 96/100 on it so I wouldn't really care that much about it. So long as you've got your SRPs that's all that matter.

Jijsaw wrote: »
    I pretended I did everything, didn't give any credit to the group. I was about 400 words over the word count and got 96/100 on it so I wouldn't really care that much about it. So long as you've got your SRPs that's all that matter.

Wow, almost 100% on it :o.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Does anybody know whether you have to pay on the spot for the CAO tomorrow if you want to add courses, or are you able to on a later date?

• Advertisement

Filling out Susi, but the dates for some arent correct. half the application is refering to as if im applying as a 2014/2015 applicant, and bits are assuming I am 2015/2016 applicant. I'm assuming this is an error by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Susi's open already? Is it not usually like April/May that we can apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

Consonata wrote: »
    Does anybody know whether you have to pay on the spot for the CAO tomorrow if you want to add courses, or are you able to on a later date?

I'm just after signing up and yeah you have to pay upfront to complete your application

Do we seriously have to register for the UCD open day?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Do we seriously have to register for the UCD open day?

A load of them have been making people register, I had to do a form for IT Tallaght, DCU and a couple of others that I can't think of. I would understand if they were asking big groups of people to register but when it's just individuals I'm not sure what the point is... Not sure why some of them ask for your address on the applications either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rachel98

Does anyone have a clue about the French document for the oral? Our teacher is an absolute eejit and hasn't told us anything about it

emersyn wrote: »
    A load of them have been making people register, I had to do a form for IT Tallaght, DCU and a couple of others that I can't think of. I would understand if they were asking big groups of people to register but when it's just individuals I'm not sure what the point is... Not sure why some of them ask for your address on the applications either

I was thinking it was for the news so they could say

"We did SO well, we had X thousand people here today"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sparklycoco

Rachel98 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a clue about the French document for the oral? Our teacher is an absolute eejit and hasn't told us anything about it

So I'm exempt from oral exams but basically from what I gather, it's a photograph (for the majority in my class anyway) or an item that you could easily talk about and you compose a small little paragraph on it to talk about with the examiner - it's optional to do it or not so maybe your teacher just pre-decided not to go into that part of the exam with you? :/

But say you brought in a a photo of you and friends on holidays somewhere, you'd have to say who's in the photo, when/where it was/who took it, and what else you did there. One of my teachers said one boy she examined brought in sketches of anime characters that he drew for a hobby and he just talked about that (and drew her as well apparently) for it so you could go down that route as well :D

Not sure if that was what you meant, but I hope it helped in some form!! >~<

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rachel98

So I'm exempt from oral exams but basically from what I gather, it's a photograph (for the majority in my class anyway) or an item that you could easily talk about and you compose a small little paragraph on it to talk about with the examiner - it's optional to do it or not so maybe your teacher just pre-decided not to go into that part of the exam with you? :/

But say you brought in a a photo of you and friends on holidays somewhere, you'd have to say who's in the photo, when/where it was/who took it, and what else you did there. One of my teachers said one boy she examined brought in sketches of anime characters that he drew for a hobby and he just talked about that (and drew her as well apparently) for it so you could go down that route as well :D

Not sure if that was what you meant, but I hope it helped in some form!! >~<

Oh thanks :) I had no clue it was optional

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

Consonata wrote:
    Filling out Susi, but the dates for some arent correct. half the application is refering to as if im applying as a 2014/2015 applicant, and bits are assuming I am 2015/2016 applicant. I'm assuming this is an error by them.

I'm not sure if anyone's told you yet, or if you figured it out yourself, but for people who will be (hopefully) starting college in September of next year (2016), SUSI doesn't open until the May before we sit the Leaving Cert. I doubled checked with my career guidance teacher, we have another 6 months to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Does anyone have any notes on how to do the hypothesis testing section in maths? My teacher didn't explain how to do it properly and my premocks are next week! :-(:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 G_G

Does anyone know if the revision courses up in the institute are worth it? I'm thinking of signing up for the christmas ones but wondering if I'm better off just revising myself at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

G_G wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the revision courses up in the institute are worth it? I'm thinking of signing up for the christmas ones but wondering if I'm better off just revising myself at home.
    I think it's a mixed bag. I'm sure some are good, most of my teachers said not to bother with any revision courses or grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

does anyone know when you apply for the DCU accommodation, and how much of a deposit. the website is not clear!

Anyone come to an ultimatum for your 1st Choice?

Decided I'm set on doing science TCD for first choice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Did you go to Trinity yesterday for the open day? :)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Did you go to Trinity yesterday for the open day? :)
    Didn't bother as I went last year and have like four TCD prospectuses.

Did you? I went to the UCD open day, was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Didn't bother as I went last year and have like four TCD prospectuses.

Did you? I went to the UCD open day, was alright.
    Yeah I did. I fell in love with the place!

Really not sure what to put on my CAO as number one anymore though!

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Yeah I did. I fell in love with the place!

Really not sure what to put on my CAO as number one anymore though!

It feels more like a university when you contrast it with DCU, UCD and DIT.

The city atmosphere and vibe is chilling in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

I can't decide whether I should do engineering in UCD or in TCD...umm decisions :D

hubluh wrote: »
    I can't decide whether I should do engineering in UCD or in TCD...umm decisions :D

I was in the same position last week - I feel for you :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Anyone know of a video showing how to construct square root 3.
    Theres one up on youtube. But it has no sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Anyone know of a video showing how to construct square root 3.
    Theres one up on youtube. But it has no sound.

Here
    It gets going at around 0:46

Has anybody gotten the ebook from 625points.com it's nine euro and I was wondering if it was worth it?

• Advertisement

Consonata wrote: »
    Has anybody gotten the ebook from 625points.com it's nine euro and I was wondering if it was worth it?

Just had a quick glance through the site. Honestly it does seem like great value, a concise book filled with English tips and so on.

Three years in Ireland and she achieved 8 A1s... :o

EDIT:
    She has a few sample essays on the site, seems like a good idea to pick out good phrases etc and use em.

Advertisement