Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

You havent covered the half the maths syllabus with your teacher or by yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Boaty wrote: »
    You havent covered the half the maths syllabus with your teacher or by yourself?
    I don't have a teacher! I'm an external candidate. I haven't covered half of the course full stop. I'm getting there slowly but surely but maths is such a time consuming piece of **** subject. The 25 extra points really don't justify the disproportionate amount of time it takes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TSMGUY wrote: »
    I don't have a teacher! I'm an external candidate. I haven't covered half of the course full stop. I'm getting there slowly but surely but maths is such a time consuming piece of **** subject. The 25 extra points really don't justify the disproportionate amount of time it takes.

It really might be worth your time getting a course of lessons before the exams, maybe three a week with a qualified and experienced teacher offering grinds in your area.

I'd love to get some grinds. It's costly as hell here in the Midlands but I don't have much of a choice tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Just did French oral. I don't know how I did but feeling annoying, disappointed and confused on how I did. The examiner interrupted me around every three semtences. So I couldn't say what I wanted. On top of that I'm worn out after all that preparation coming down to 12minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Hana98 wrote: »
    Just did French oral. I don't know how I did but feeling annoying, disappointed and confused on how I did. The examiner interrupted me around every three semtences. So I couldn't say what I wanted. On top of that I'm worn out after all that preparation coming down to 12minutes.

+++1111 for Irish orals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I had my Irish one today and I feel the same as you. I was all prepared and set going in until I got my sraith pictuir! The only one out of 20 that I really don't like decided to come out of the envelope! It really threw me and the rest of my oral wasn't as good as it should have been! I kept noticing myself throwing in English words like "so"! I'm so frustrated! What are the odds of me pulling that sraith pictuir out! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Bazinga_N wrote: »

I had my Irish one today and I feel the same as you. I was all prepared and set going in until I got my sraith pictuir! The only one out of 20 that I really don't like decided to come out of the envelope! It really threw me and the rest of my oral wasn't as good as it should have been! I kept noticing myself throwing in English words like "so"! I'm so frustrated! What are the odds of me pulling that sraith pictuir out! :(
    1/20.

Also did the Irish Oral today, poetry I was really nervous for some reason even though I did really well in class on all of them. I kept forgetting where I was and said "ehhhh" pretty much at the end of each sentence but I'd say 95% of the words were pronounced correctly. Also I think I forgot the poem and poet at the start but I forgot in the mocks too and didn't lose that many marks....

For the pictures I got that one on the summer job at the hotel and they go to Rome and win some match. I did better on it I think than I did on the mock one (where I got the first one which I know was the easiest).

Conversation was terrible. I started it out well when she was asking about the school, facilities, subjects I'm doing and what I want to do afterwards. She didn't let me actually say much though about the course I'm wanting to do which was annoying. She went and asked about if I went to a concert too and I tried directing the conversation to my family since she hadn't asked anything about them yet. She went from concerts though to TY..... I thought the conversation was supposed to have a flow....

I've always hated speaking Irish since I came to Ireland so honestly I'm happy to at least pass the orals like I did in the mocks. I've always done better in written Irish since I don't have to awkwardly sit in front of someone and try to recall verbs and vocabulary.

I'm doing ordinary level in case anyone was wondering. Only need a D3 in the thing to get into the course I need anyway.

Really happy though to not have to hopefully speak anymore Irish now besides when reading answers in class for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

I have my Spanish orals on Friday. Does anybody know how perfect you have to be to get an A1. I know my rolepays back to front and my general conversation is pretty good. But I make a few masculine feminine mistakes and ser estar ones too. Do I have to be flawless to get an A1 or how much room for error is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Had my French one today. Nothing could've prepared me for it, seriously. I'm aiming for an A1 but she asked me extremely far out questions on 1916/ terrorism/ why the Gaeltacht population is declining(!!) to name a few. I felt nothing I learned I could say and I was constantly speaking on the spot, which usually leads to mistakes. I was asked 4 tense questions - last summer, then this summer, then last weekend and then what I'll do when i go home from school which meant i was constantly changing between tenses in my head, which is very hard. Dont know how it went really but hopefully it was good because I need an A1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

koolis02 wrote: »
    Had my French one today. Nothing could've prepared me for it, seriously. I'm aiming for an A1 but she asked me extremely far out questions on 1916/ terrorism/ why the Gaeltacht population is declining(!!) to name a few. I felt nothing I learned I could say and I was constantly speaking on the spot, which usually leads to mistakes. I was asked 4 tense questions - last summer, then this summer, then last weekend and then what I'll do when i go home from school which meant i was constantly changing between tenses in my head, which is very hard. Dont know how it went really but hopefully it was good because I need an A1

They don't ask difficult questions and tenses when they know the person isn't up to it.
    Sounds like they thought you were pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Had my Irish oral today. I'm not happy with my comhrá. The examiner asked me really basic stuff, I'm higher level and having been working on the difficult stuff like politics and the health system. I tried to link what he asked me to the more advanced stuff to show my level, as well as bluntly stating I'm higher level, but I feel I didn't put in enough. It was only about 5 minutes. I seen my marks before the comhrà and I got 117 out of 120 ( 2 marks lost on cur síos of sraith pictuir and 1 on the cruinni) I was trying and had previously in my mocks got an A1. Is it likely that I could have achieved it in the exam? I was very fluent and was able to understand and answer his questions. Just worried.x :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

spurious wrote: »
    They don't ask difficult questions and tenses when they know the person isn't up to it.
    Sounds like they thought you were pretty good.

Really? I'm doing Ordinary level (not counting) and I got asked easy questions but she asked the same question in different tenses, I felt like I was struggling tbh but I think I did ok.
    Plus she asked me two times if I had a document!

TheBiz wrote: »
    Really? I'm doing Ordinary level (not counting) and I got asked easy questions but she asked the same question in different tenses, I felt like I was struggling tbh but I think I did ok.
    Plus she asked me two times if I had a document!

She was giving you a chance to show what you could do. They really are trying to get you marks.

kitkat98 wrote: »
    Had my Irish oral today. I'm not happy with my comhrá. The examiner asked me really basic stuff, I'm higher level and having been working on the difficult stuff like politics and the health system. I tried to link what he asked me to the more advanced stuff to show my level, as well as bluntly stating I'm higher level, but I feel I didn't put in enough. It was only about 5 minutes. I seen my marks before the comhrà and I got 117 out of 120 ( 2 marks lost on cur síos of sraith pictuir and 1 on the cruinni) I was trying and had previously in my mocks got an A1. Is it likely that I could have achieved it in the exam? I was very fluent and was able to understand and answer his questions. Just worried.x :-(

Sometimes the examiners wouldn't have time to engage in the more advanced questions????117/120... :o

I'm ordinary and spent most of my Oral study on the advanced questions on recent news and events etc, but all she asked was basic questions (huge huge disappointment and shocker). Probably says something about my Oral standard haha, but my teacher talked to the examiner and said she didn't have time for the more advanced questions.

Sometimes the examiners wouldn't have time to engage in the more advanced questions????117/120... :o

I'm ordinary and spent most of my Oral study on the advanced questions on recent news and events etc, but all she asked was basic questions (huge huge disappointment and shocker). Probably says something about my Oral standard haha, but my teacher talked to the examiner and said she didn't have time for the more advanced questions.

really outrageous that you learn all of this stuff and the examiner doesn't examine it because she "doesn't have time." Not saying it's her fault but bad organization on their part shouldn't cost you marks.

really outrageous that you learn all of this stuff and the examiner doesn't examine it because she "doesn't have time." Not saying it's her fault but bad organization on their part shouldn't cost you marks.

Well, maybe it didn't cost marks in the end. The oral did feel quite quick for sure.

Was really surprised she didn't mention the rising or refugees all day in any of the orals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

It might not though, we don't know if it does or doesn't. Unless someone here has marked the oral exams?

It might not though, we don't know if it does or doesn't. Unless someone here has marked the oral exams?

It really doesn't take them long to assess a person's level of Irish.

Well, maybe it didn't cost marks in the end. The oral did feel quite quick for sure.

Was really surprised she didn't mention the rising or refugees all day in any of the orals!

I was unclear; I meant it's unlikely that she'll dock you marks because she didn't ask more in-depth questions. She can hardly punish you for not answering something you weren't asked. I've found the oral examiners surprisingly lenient. I absolutely sucked at French (I pronounced "et" as "ettt" instead of "a" for the whole oral) but I got a C2 somehow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I've been thinking about this for a few days and I can't understand the way the orals are marked at a common level at all. Do examiners guess what level you are and mark you according to that level? If they think someone is doing ordinary level and is excellent for an ordinary level student would they give them very high marks, and how would that be fair if that person was actually a C/D higher level student? Or do they just mark it on a single scale from poor to perfectly fluent? If so, how is it fair that a higher level student is inevitably going to get far more marks than an ordinary level student when the rest of their exams are graded taking their totally different skill levels into account? Surely I'm right in thinking that it's very unfair to students aiming for an ordinary level A or B if half of their oral marks are basically off limits due to being marked at the same standard as higher level students, or am I completely over-thinking it and getting worked up over nothing as usual???

emersyn wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this for a few days and I can't understand the way the orals are marked at a common level at all. Do examiners guess what level you are and mark you according to that level? If they think someone is doing ordinary level and is excellent for an ordinary level student would they give them very high marks, and how would that be fair if that person was actually a C/D higher level student? Or do they just mark it on a single scale from poor to perfectly fluent? If so, how is it fair that a higher level student is inevitably going to get far more marks than an ordinary level student when the rest of their exams are graded taking their totally different skill levels into account? Surely I'm right in thinking that it's very unfair to students aiming for an ordinary level A or B if half of their oral marks are basically off limits due to being marked at the same standard as higher level students, or am I completely over-thinking it and getting worked up over nothing as usual???

The overall mantra for the SEC and any exam is that 'the candidate will not be disadvantaged'. I think you are over-thinking things.

spurious wrote: »
    The overall mantra for the SEC and any exam is that 'the candidate will not be disadvantaged'. I think you are over-thinking things.

I just don't get how this system can be implemented without putting anyone at a disadvantage though?!

The subtitles on that are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cxxlin

How damn weird is it that we're so close to finishing?
    When I went into secondary school back in 2011 as a baba it felt like absolute years away, but some of us are literally starting 3rd level in a couple of months?!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

cxxlin wrote: »
    but some of us are literally starting 3rd level in a couple of months?!

Thank ****.

When I went into secondary school back in 2011 as a baba it felt like absolute years away, but some of us are literally starting 3rd level in a couple of months?!

Good riddance :o

• Advertisement

I've been "literally starting 3rd level in a couple of months" for the last 2 years. fml.

Advertisement