Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We go again. Liverpool v Southampton Sun 17th Aug KO 13:30 SS1 - Mod post in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any chance we could get teams to sign an agreement not to play the ball in to the box higher than a foot or so off the ground? Those balls don't suit mingolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anfield is like a library....

Skrtel :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Manquillo looks good going forward but a bit shaky at the back, won't be surprised if he is replaced at half time, 2nd yellow looks very likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

quarryman wrote: »

Only the one goal scored you see. Spoilt like that.

Oh and as for Johnson, please Redknapp make a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

quarryman wrote: »

Odd atmosphere alright. Still lingering thoughts of last season I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Manquillo looking off the pace a few times now. First game nerves hopefully
    2nd yellow wouldn't surprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

delw wrote: »
    2nd yellow wouldn't surprise me

Hope not, hopefully Brendao has a word at half time and tells him to relax...

As per the mod-note in the opening post:

I'm confused though, the sticky on the forum says that youtube videos are allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Am I the only one who despises the number 19 shirt now because of who used to wear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool gone off the boil the last 10 minutes. Need a word from Rodgers at the break.

That_Guy wrote: »

Or too many lads taking videos/photographs and haven't a clue how to sing a song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Poor first half from Manquillio, and lucas has been lost, i still have no confidence in Mingolet but there have been chances, just need to step on the gas in the second half and finish the game.

Greedy Coutinhio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Good effort.

• Advertisement

Is it just me or does Mig be off his line quite a bit?

The early Sunday game is always the worst for atmosphere. People still shaking off their hangover at kick-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Powerful shot from Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've seen better atmospheres in funeral homes.

The early Sunday game is always the worst for atmosphere. People still shaking off their hangover at kick-off.

It's no excuse tbf.

The only decent atmospheres these days are the evening games, preferably midweek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Thought that was going to be a goal there, good passing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm confused though, the sticky on the forum says that youtube videos are allowed.

Apologies, I misread your post and hadn't seen that it was a youtube link you were looking for.

I'd say they'll be increasingly hard to get, Youtube will be under similar pressures to Boards to remove any videos containing Premier League footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I thought Lucas has looked sharp, quick into challenges and closing down space when it is necessary, he's doing well what he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Or too many lads taking videos/photographs and haven't a clue how to sing a song

And too many groaning and sighing every time a player gives the ball away or does anything wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Am I the only one who despises the number 19 shirt now because of who used to wear it?

Downing was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rob316 wrote: »
    Downing was it?

big vic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Download an app called 365scores

Apologies, I misread your post and hadn't seen that it was a youtube link you were looking for.

I'd say they'll be increasingly hard to get, Youtube will be under similar pressures to Boards to remove any videos containing Premier League footage.

I thought premier league highlights weren't allowed on Youtube?

They are uploaded alright but then taken down.

Unless of course this has changed and I probably wasn't paying attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool need only one thing and that's more mobility in the middle, Lucas is too deep and Hendo can't be everywhere - I'd get Can in to make those short 5 yard runs that can open a pass into the centre and so allow a quick give and go with Hendo/Coutinho. That would keep also Soton deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Only caught the last 15 mins, but we look very poor. Being dominated by Southampton. Only positive is Lovren. He was very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

And too many groaning and sighing every time a player gives the ball away or does anything wrong

Some people seem to forget its the first game. People are nervous/unsure.

Give it time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I thought Lucas has looked sharp, quick into challenges and closing down space when it is necessary, he's doing well what he does well.

Lucas has been good in my opinion also. Looking like he's getting back to his old self. Let's hope it continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you really think people are sitting there thinking about last season whilst watching the match? Old Trafford must be like a morgue then.

This is often trotted out as if everyone who is in the stadium was in the p1ss last night.
    It's quiet because there has not been that many exciting things happening on the field. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I dont know why both Gerrard and Lucas are playing in this game, they are too pedestrian and both want to do the same job. We need either Can or Allen to link up play between the DM and Coutinho. Lovren is fantastic

Yeah, Johnson played it back to the keeper after 18 mins or so and a big collective groan. Wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Imo the problem is not Lucas, the problem is not Gerrard. Its playing the two of them together. Its too easy to mark the front three because you have the two CBs and both Gerrard and Lucas sitting deep even when we have the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Personally I think Lucas has been excellent first half, first into challenges, has won the ball back high in the Southampton half twice, and has showed very well for the ball, and distributed it well. He looks far more mobile than last season/. He has a big role to play this season imo.

I thought Gerrard played well, mixing passes up long and short.

Coutinhio has been brutal but tbf he's been marked quite tight. Still though it's probably not a good enough excuse.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Southampton seem to be targeting Manquillo's side of the pitch. Hopefully he won't get a second yellow anyhow. I'm guessing Sterling is our back up full back seeing as we've none on the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Manquillo looks good going forward but a bit shaky at the back, won't be surprised if he is replaced at half time, 2nd yellow looks very likely.

I'd say Enrique on for him and Johnson to the right because of the yellow.
    Is it just me or does Mig be off his line quite a bit?

Can't win can he. Too slow off his line, always off his line. His kicking for me is his only major weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

mav79 wrote: »
    Imo the problem is not Lucas, the problem is not Gerrard. Its playing the two of them together. Its too easy to mark the front three because you have the two CBs and both Gerrard and Lucas sitting deep even when we have the ball.

Correct.

Gerrard needs to push on about 10 yards further up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

What have Quinn and Souness made of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'd say Enrique on for him and Johnson to the right because of the yellow.

He's not on the bench.

Toure, Sakho are the only defendrs on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

5starpool wrote: »
    Southampton seem to be targeting Manquillo's side of the pitch. Hopefully he won't get a second yellow anyhow. I'm guessing Sterling is our back up full back seeing as we've none on the bench?

Sakho left back, Johnson right. Be grand.

Cannot wait for Moreno to get into the team. Johnson is chronic going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mignolet is an excellent shot stopper but his distribution and lack of control of the 6 yard box on crosses really let's him down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

He's not on the bench.

Toure, Sakho are the only defendrs on the bench.

Missed the lineups at the start. Thanks. Maybe go 3 at the back if LGV will allow someone else to use that formation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Jesus Glenjo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I thought Gerrard played well, mixing passes up long and short.

Coutinhio has been brutal but tbf he's been marked quite tight. Still though it's probably not a good enough excuse.

He hasn't had much support from midfield.

I think the Lucas/Gerrard midfield really is just an absolute abomination.

it's looked like there's been a huge hole in midfield for most of the match. I think this would be where Lallana might shine - dropping deep and linking between the back 5 and the front 3. Even Allen would be a help here.

Lucas has been decent enough in how he's dealt with their play but he's not going to make anything happen for us. Allen can take the ball under pressure and make space, Can can run at people and hopefully Lallana can do both.

Mostly it's been us passing around the back and waiting for someone up front to find some space before pinging a 60 yard ball to them. It just doesn't look effective at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Southampton are going to get an equaliser, Liverpool are far too tentative.

Reminds me a bit of the first 3 Liverpool games last season. Ground out a few uninspiring 1-0 wins. Would take the same result today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement