Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Swansea - BT Sport 12:45pm- Mod post in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

efb wrote: »
    Another United record!

Yeah.
    Swansea's first ever league win at Old Trafford.

BBC

Its only the first game but I fully expected a United win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rob316 wrote: »
    Amazing united break another record, first time they have lost an opening game since 1972!

Moyes will be kicking himself he didn't get that one to add to his cv.

Wouldn't be panicking if I was a utd fan yet. A defender or two will be signed and the defense will shore up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

irishmover wrote: »
    I seen it again and it was ball to hand. The guy turned himself the other bloody way with his arm down by his side and the ball hit it. Nothing he could do!

Arm wasn't by his side, it was sticking out. He could have not turned his back and kept his arms by his side. Turning your back with your arm out is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

well done gilfi big fish in a small pond again and kicking a55:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

madcabbage wrote: »
    A blip on day one. Nothing to panic about. One thing is for sure, they will need to sign defenders. That another CM because Fletcher just doesn't cut it.

Exactly. Day one defeat, things will improve. Possibly the best thing that could happen is a clear early indication to Van Gaal that a radical overhaul is required.

I also think the usual fans crowing in here on the first day should soften their cough a little. Very long season ahead for certain teams who have spunked their recently begotten moolah on mediocrity ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Those Fellani elbows need to be stamped. The guy is a scourge in the league and has been getting away with it for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Surprised so many people were so sure United would win.

Missing Evans,Valencia, Rafael, Carrick, Rvp and Welbeck. Not to mention an AM/ST playing RWB, two lads making their debuts in the defence, Ashley Young at LWB. Was always going to be tough to win.

I'd wait before I'd start panicking. That team was always going to struggle. Need some depth in the squad and players back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well at least the only way is up anyway if your a utd fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Arm wasn't by his side, it was sticking out. He could have not turned his back and kept his arms by his side. Turning your back with your arm out is asking for trouble.

Man united supporter with blinkers on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Why does LVG look like he's gonna bawl his eyes out in that post match interview? That or he's fit to kill the boys in the dressing room...

• Advertisement

Said it before but Mourinhio didn't let Mata go for the crack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well at least the only way is up anyway if your a utd fan.

Or maybe not...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As a Liverpool supporter I would have preferred to have seen Man U win their first few games and then have any blips after the transfer wndow closed.

Blips before the window shuts only increases the chances of LVG going after more quality players.

Still reckon that once Man U get going this season that they will be a much better unit than they were last season. Am certainly not going to write Man U off as a threat for a Top 4 spot though, and whilst I always take a degree of pleasure in a rival losing I am very conscious of the fact that some of Man U's better seasons came after a surprise loss or two at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Kess73 wrote: »
    As a Liverpool supporter I would have preferred to have seen Man U win their first few games and then have any blips after the transfer wndow closed.

Blips before the window shuts only increases the chances of LVG going after more quality players.

Still reckon that once Man U get going this season that they will be a much better unit than they were last season. Am certainly not going to write Man U off as a threat for a Top 4 spot though, and whilst I always take a degree of pleasure in a rival losing I am very conscious of the fact that some of Man U's better seasons came after a surprise loss or two at the start of the season.

as a fellow pool suporter i agree with you , but without trying to draw the wrath of united fans this team is just not good enough, they need another 3 or 4 players , and in the current over inflated transfer market prices that would cost a small fortune

most of the current united players are not fit to lace the boots of the united teams of a few years ago , it dosent seem to have registered with van gaal yet if there is any truth in the rumor that he plans to sell danny wellbeck and keep hernandez , its the likes of wellbeck he needs to keep for them to have any chance of a real improvement on last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Today doesn't really worry me, I think we'll be fine, it just proves that we need players and sharp.

A left-sided defender and a starting quality CB are needed. I've been quite critical of Jones over recent year but I do think he has improved and deserves his place on the right side of back 3 with Evans in the centre. A central midfielder as well is necessary.

I didn't understand some of the decisions LVG made today, I agreed with Fellaini and Nani coming on, but taking off Herrera and Hernandez when both Fletcher and Mata were playing so poorly I didn't... But I think we'll iron out a few of these creases over time while van Gaal is still getting acquainted with the squad.

I think Fellaini, as it stands, is our second best midfielder, and deserves a starting place partnering Herrera. Mata lacked hunger today and was very lax, when Nani came on I think it should've been for him, dropping Rooney into no. 10 and leaving Hernandez up as the striker.

Young I thought played very well again today, I think he's been very good at wing back and I'd be happy to see him there over the course of the season, although I thought it was unfair on him to be played more defensively as part of the back four, and we were caught out because of that (another reason to bring in reinforcements).

Januzaj was also excellent when he came on today, loved Herrera's progressive play also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Expect panic-signings from MUtd

as a fellow pool suporter i agree with you , but without trying to draw the wrath of united fans this team is just not good enough, they need another 3 or 4 players , and in the current over inflated transfer market prices that would cost a small fortune

most of the current united players are not fit to lace the boots of the united teams of a few years ago , it dosent seem to have registered with van gaal yet if there is any truth in the rumor that he plans to sell danny wellbeck and keep hernandez , its the likes of wellbeck he needs to keep for them to have any chance of a real improvement on last season

I don't think they are anywhere near good enough to get into a title chase with their current squad, but I do think the current squad under a manager like LVG could challenge for a CL slot.

And with two weeks left in the transfer window, they are certainly a club with the financial clout to be able to bring in two or three first team level signings.

As obvious as this sounds, it will take a little bit of time before we have any idea of how good or not Man U will be under LVG, but cannot imagine them having a season as poor (by their standards) or worse than what they had last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Most of that squad won the league two years ago and always challenged. Too easy to just say the player aren't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

thelad95 wrote: »
    Lol.

Lolol!

Wish I stuck some money on that scoreline instead of just posting it here. Then I'd be really gloating.

Man united supporter with blinkers on...
    Not really no. We were very poor today. I just disagree with the current rule on handballs. Good post though.

• Advertisement

Not really no. We were very poor today. I just disagree with the current rule on handballs. Good post though.

Wasn't a handball. You'd be disagreeing if it was giving against man united. Don't see anyone up in arms about it because it was completely innocuous.

Yes you's were poor today. Should be used to it by now. Welcome to average.

Thanks for saying my post was good. I didn't really think it was, nor did I expect it to be rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I thought a bird sh1tting on you was supposed to be lucky.

When I saw that Vine I thought Young was going to score the winner in the 95 minute.

I guess there really is no lucky left at OT these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Abertawe i ennill y gynghrair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Those Fellani elbows need to be stamped. The guy is a scourge in the league and has been getting away with it for too long
    It could be worse, he could be going around biting lumps out of opposition players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Most of that squad won the league two years ago and always challenged. Too easy to just say the player aren't good enough.

Yes under probably the best manager ever in the game. It makes a huge difference, ye slate us for living in the past but ye are guilty of the same now. You are only as good as your last ten games the past counts for nothing in the present. Who would have thought 10 years ago man city would be the dominant team in england?

Abertawe i ennill y gynghrair.

I admire that kind of optimism :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Maybe we are now seeing just how good Fergie was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Agreed with this but today's was hardly worth talking about. He's crazy, though, because it's always after an innocuous bit of holding or whatever. The elbow on Zabaleta last year was mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Agreed with this but today's was hardly worth talking about. He's crazy, though, because it's always after an innocuous bit of holding or whatever. The elbow on Zabaleta last year was mental.

Hardly worth talking about? It was a red card offence. :confused:

• Advertisement

Wasn't a handball. You'd be disagreeing if it was giving against man united. Don't see anyone up in arms about it because it was completely innocuous.

Yes you's were poor today. Should be used to it by now. Welcome to average.

Thanks for saying my post was good. I didn't really think it was, nor did I expect it to be rated.

Hardly up in arms about it myself. Someone said his arm was by his side and it wasn't so I pointed that out.

Takes a lot of bitterness to still be trying to wind someone up who has admitted we were poor today. I admire the time and effort son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

BvKikjwCAAAkYxG.jpg

Hardly up in arms about it myself. Someone said his arm was by his side and it wasn't so I pointed that out.

Takes a lot of bitterness to still be trying to wind someone up who has admitted we were poor today. I admire the time and effort son.

Take the defeat and average-ness on the chin. No need for random 'bitterness' crap. At no point was or, will I ever be, bitter about Man United.*

I'm a spurs supporter by the way. I know all about average-ness.

*Pedro Mendes scored that goal. Roy Carroll is scum...

Hardly worth talking about? It was a red card offence. :confused:

I don't think it was. Brushing the player off who was fouling him. Caught him a bit but Dean was right to not send him off, wrong to not give him a card.

And the confused smiley thing is weird for a grown up to use. Stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I don't think it was. Brushing the player off who was fouling him. Caught him a bit but Dean was right to not send him off, wrong to not give him a card.

And the confused smiley thing is weird for a grown up to use. Stop that.

There's nothing wrong with adding a bit of art to my post :D

I disagree though, you can't "brush the player off" by shoving your forearm in his face. And he done so after the foul occurred. It was a childish reaction.

Not his worst one but then again he does something similar on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

darced wrote: »
    Delighted with that result and pretty surprised that van gaal hasn't got them looking any better than Moyes had last season,I expected at least some improvement.

I couldn't understand people thinking the same squad could have an immediate turnaround and get a champions league place,they will be miles away with the current options.

Sadly this will mean the cheque book will be out and they might sign the 4 or 5 players they need before the window closes.

That's still fairly far from the first 11 even without signings.
    Fletcher, Blackett, Lingard, Hernandez and Young will more than likely be benched when everyone is fully fit so I wouldn't go predicting the season based on today's result.

There's nothing wrong with adding a bit of art to my post :D

I disagree though, you can't "brush the player off" by shoving your forearm in his face. And he done so after the foul occurred. It was a childish reaction.

Not his worst one but then again he does something similar on a regular basis.

Yeah look, I'm not going down the road of defending him too much. His next elbow incident is never far away, which always makes a mockery of people defending the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

That's still fairly far from the first 11 even without signings.
    Fletcher, Blackett, Lingard, Hernandez and Young will more than likely be benched when everyone is fully fit so I wouldn't go predicting the season based on today's result.

It's far too early to be writing United off but I still think it's a very disappointing start.

Fescue wrote: »
    It's far too early to be writing United off but I still think it's a very disappointing start.

Of course it is. I don't think any United fan said otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The stunned silence in Old Trafford when Utd concede a key goal really is one of the more dramatic things in sports. The recent regularity of it still takes getting used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Said it before but Mourinhio didn't let Mata go for the crack

Ok, why do you think he let him go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Happy we let Rio go anyhow he was horrible for qpr today.

Trilla wrote: »

Because he's sh*te obviously...
    Ha ha, that's hilarious. One bad game, first of the season in a makeshift team, classic :pac:

More to the point, why did United sign him?

Thought it was a bad signing at the time and still do. Why spend £37m on a No.10 and then proceed to play him out of position for the remainder of the season. Also, United already had Kagawa.

It really was a "make a big signing for the sake of it" transfer instead of actually seeking out a player that was desperately needed.

Because he's sh*te obviously...
    Ha ha, that's hilarious. One bad game, first of the season in a makeshift team, classic :pac:

Well it's undeniable that:

A) his start at Utd has been underwhelming;
    B) Mourinho is a good judge of a player and has been proven correct to dump high profile players in the past;

More to the point, why did United sign him?

Thought it was a bad signing at the time and still do. Why spend £37m on a No.10 and then proceed to play him out of position for the remainder of the season. Also, United already had Kagawa.

It really was a "make a big signing for the sake of it" transfer instead of actually seeking out a player that was desperately needed.

Signing world class players can never be a mistake...providing they're still world class

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Signing world class players can never be a mistake...providing they're still world class

I disagree. I think the signing of Mata is a prime example of it being a mistake. Not because Mata isn't a very good player, but because he was not needed by United when the glaring gaps were in CM and at the back.

Now the league has started and United still are in a position where they will play with a very good No.10 on the bench (Kagawa) and average players in the starting team.

Because he obviously felt he wasn't up to the standard required for a top club challenging for major honours.

Don't get me wrong he's a good player, just not at a very high level anymore.

Mourinho is no fool despite what people think of him. Surprised people are sneering at this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

enfield_2532176b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mata a player who has 24 goals and 36 assists in his last two full seasons in a team with Torres leading the line isn't at the top level

thumbs-up-computer-kid-gif_zps11d45fe6.gif

Mourinho sold him because he wouldn't work as a high pressing almost box to box number 10, on the attacking side Mata is one of the best in the world in that position

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement