Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New childminder for 2yr old, disrupted sleep

Options
  • 15-08-2014 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I suppose my current situation is pretty textbook but just looking for some advice or other experiences of it.
    Unfortunately had to change to a new childminder 2 weeks ago as our local crèche closed. First week of breaking daughter (23 months) in gently went great. No problem saying goodbye to me, happily playing, having her nap etc. But the second week hasn't been so easy. She hasn't been really upset with me leaving but starts whining and clinging to me as soon as I start to leave. That part I can deal with. The childminder had assured me that she's fine within 2/3 minutes of me leaving and I trust her on that. It's the nighttime sleep disruption that's the real problem. She's been a consistent 12hr straight sleeper but is now waking twice a night for a cuddle/soother/drink of water etc. She has also been waking in the morning in really bad form, sometimes even having a tantrum before getting out of the cot.
    Is this likely to last long? Any advice on how to deal with it?
    Really doesn't help that I'm due my second baby next week so more change in store for toddler! I really don't think it's the new baby thing that's bothering her, she hasn't grasped at all that a new baby is on the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

emer_b wrote: »
    I suppose my current situation is pretty textbook but just looking for some advice or other experiences of it.
    Unfortunately had to change to a new childminder 2 weeks ago as our local crèche closed. First week of breaking daughter (23 months) in gently went great. No problem saying goodbye to me, happily playing, having her nap etc. But the second week hasn't by een so easy. She hasn't been really upset with me leaving but starts whining and clinging to me as soon as I start to leave. That part I can deal with. The childminder had assured me that she's fine within 2/3 minutes of me leaving and I trust her on that. It's the nighttime sleep disruption that's the real problem. She's been a consistent 12hr straight sleeper but is now waking twice a night for a cuddle/soother/drink of water etc. She has also been waking in the morning in really bad form, sometimes even having a tantrum before getting out of the cot.
    Really doesn't help that I'm due my second baby next week so more change in store for toddler! I really don't think it's the new baby thing that's bothering her, she hasn't grasped at all that a new baby is on the way.

Hi there I feel your pain!!

I.have same issue at the moment my little one 2 next week is the same was great when I was working but I've been off last 4 weeks due in over 10 days too
    She wakes up wants to come in to our bed. Unsettled etc.

However I warn her every night that no waking up as she will be very tired and we won't be ableto go to the pplayground or feed the ducks etc

Simple I know but she is so clingy since I stopped working and is very v upset if I do get her minded for hosp appointment etc.

My 4 yr old is the v same. Up every night to check if I'm there.
    Making sure that baby didn't come yet!

Also the full moon a week or so ago caused them to get worse I fully believe.

I've had to be firm as. Things will be tough in another week or so n.I don't want it to spiral

Unfortunately had to change to a new childminder 2 weeks ago as our local crèche closed. First week of breaking daughter (23 months) in gently went great. No problem saying goodbye to me, happily playing, having her nap etc. But the second week hasn't by een so easy. She hasn't been really upset with me leaving but starts whining and clinging to me as soon as I start to leave. That part I can deal with. The childminder had assured me that she's fine within 2/3 minutes of me leaving and I trust her on that. It's the nighttime sleep disruption that's the real problem. She's been a consistent 12hr straight sleeper but is now waking twice a night for a cuddle/soother/drink of water etc. She has also been waking in the morning in really bad form, sometimes even having a tantrum before getting out of the cot.

Hi there I feel your pain!!

I.have same issue at the moment my little one 2 next week is the same she was great when I was working but I've been off last 4 weeksand I'm due in over 10 days too
    She wakes up wants to come in to our bed. Unsettled etc.

However I warn her every night that no waking up as she will be very tired and we won't be ableto go to the pplayground or feed the ducks etc

Simple I know but she is so clingy since I stopped working and is very v upset if I do get her minded for hosp appointment etc.

My 4 yr old is the v same. Up every night to check if I'm there.
    Making sure that baby didn't come yet!

Also the full moon a week or so ago caused them to get worse I fully believe.

I've had to be firm as. Things will be tough in another week or so n.I don't want it to spiral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks monflat, sounds like we're in exactly the same boat!
    Perseverance, I guess that's the way to go. We've been spoiled with such a good sleeper for the last 2 years, it's scary to see it falling apart just before new baby is due. Fingers crossed it's just a short phase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter was 23 months when my son was born. I had been off work for a few months due to spd. She had been sick on and off for a while too but towards the end if the pregnancy she got very clingy . Wasnt wakibg at night but just whingey and not wanting to be left when i went for appointments etc. A few days after baba was born she was fine.
    I am convinced she sensed what was going on and was worried and after her was born and nothibg changed she was reassured everything was fine.

Thanks monflat, sounds like we're in exactly the same boat!
    Perseverance, I guess that's the way to go. We've been spoiled with such a good sleeper for the last 2 years, it's scary to see it falling apart just before new baby is due. Fingers crossed it's just a short phase

Ah yes it's a tough one even thou she still very young they sense everything

When I was due my second my first would not lie down in her cot at night.
    Terrible I know but she used to fall asleep standing up and then we would try to lie her down sometimes she would wake n the whole process would start again and we have to let her fall asleep standing up!
    Then she knew we were not lifting her out it was bad time end of!

She grew out of it. But then had many ups and downs since

Has been waking every night now for past 6 months initially we would have to go back in read stories @ like 3.30 am
    Until I was so tired one night I refused and she went bavk herself.

But since I've stopped working I've been asking why is she waking up and coming in " to check if I'm still there "
    It's ok " il always go back to sleep "!!!

They have no concept of time so when she overheard about baby she thinks one night there will be a baby there!

Lord help her the mind is in overdrive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks ladies, I know it happens a lot with any disruption in a small child's life. Pity we had to change childminder just before baby arrives, one change at a time is enough!
    I let my husband deal with her the last 2 nights and she doesn't play up to him as much so it hasn't been as bad.

Thanks ladies, I know it happens a lot with any disruption in a small child's life. Pity we had to change childminder just before baby arrives, one change at a time is enough!
    I let my husband deal with her the last 2 nights and she doesn't play up to him as much so it hasn't been as bad.

Hopefully it will settle down now once baby arrives and back to normal routine

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

maybe cut out daytime nap if theyre still taking one! New childminder might be letting them sleep for too long..
    Possibly more outdoor exercise during the day,.
    Later to bed with more wind down time.
    Just keep telling them about the baby coming too.. but honestly if theyre tired enough they shouldnt be waking at 3 or 4 to worry about new baby stuff.
    Possibly change pre nap diet,

In saying all that it could just 'be a phase' ...

Advertisement